Another Bluetooth Headset dead

Ozz

Reaction score
Having moved from a Cardo Sho-1 to the Sena 10U (for GT Air) because the SHO-1 died twice inside of 2 years, I'm now considering an Autocom system because the Sena has also died (inside of a year).

Having pondered on a solo SPA with a bluetooth dongle my question is: Is it worthwhile?

It's a significant outlay and will take some fitting (which I'm happy to do). The Sena was practically invisible whereas the Autocom will have a large wire coming from the helmet.

I know this is a bit vague, but any advice would be appreciated.

Died??? Have you tried pressing the reset button located inside one of the speaker pods. Had my 10u shut down on me once, just needed a reboot

What are you doing I had my original Scala for over 8 years and my Packtalk for probably 3 years - neither of them have had any problem - apart from the crap scala gateway which is truly pants

This !

Sena customer service is slow but they will sort it out eventually

Bought via Amazon so it's going back to them today in the post for a full refund (!). That's what driving the Autocom question. I have no idea why both the Cardo and Sena have both failed, but failed they have.

BT vs Autcom

The Autocom wire used to be a big deal for some folk and would be the main reason for switching to Bluetooth - but I suspect the BT switch is mostly done for other reasons nowadays.

Reason 1) Bike-to-bike comms can now be done without expensive radios. Some advanced systems are more tolerant of "other-brand" BT units than others - the only way to be ensure compatibility is to try it all out in a shop. With radios only one person can talk at a time, where as BT is 2-way (much better).
Reason 2) Compared to a few years ago many more devices are BT-enabled and may or may not have provision for wired sound e.g. BMW Navigator is BT-only.
Reason 3) You are still connected to your pillion when off the bike buying fuel etc.....
Reason 4) Easy to fit.

I use both types. Autocom on the RT - BT on the scooter.
I like the Autocom because I find it utterly reliable, it switches off and on with the bike, I never have to charge it up at night, the sound quality is superb with properly-placed speakers and I never need to adjust it.
I often ride in a well-organised, large group of BT-users with different systems so no-one can talk to each other anyway!

An Autocom is only worthwhile if it meets your needs and expectations - it does for me. I find it interesting that some BT-systems are fitted with handlebar-mounted remote-control joysticks to more easily manage the functions that are performed easily with an Autocom.

The best thing to do is to try one out. You may also find the the cheaper Logic system does everything you need.

Good luck in your search!

John

This !

Sena customer service is slow but they will sort it out eventually

I returned my Sena 20S after approx 20 months - it started to cut out when used below about 2 Deg C.

As far as I can see all the Sena units have a 2 year warranty.

No hassle and a new unit was provided after about 10 days. I've had 2 years trouble free use since then.

Back
Top Bottom