360 degree turn

matchbox

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Suppose you want to make an about turn in the road. Quite easy if road is flat. But suppose there is a gradient left to right down. Do you make the turn clockwise(high side to low) or anti clockwise?

I favour anti clock wise but just wonder what the forum thinks!

I’d probably have crashed if my bike had gone around 360 degrees :D

But for a 180 u-turn using the wrong side of the road (low to high in your scenario) would depend on traffic conditions.
Best option is to ride on and find a flat bit.

Upper body weight.

When you're turning across a camber (well any u turn, but particularly across a slope or a steep camber), your upper body weight and what you do with it is huge. Be really loose in your hips, bendy at your elbows and counter weight the bike with your upper body.

A quick 30 sec search on youtube;

This bloke hasn't really got it;

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQTYsR32lis" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But this bloke has ...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4p8Q6nS34wc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If it is a steep slope personally i would do a 3 pointer
90 degrees across the slope in whatever direction ( traffic wise) was appropriate then roll back down hill using the brakes to control it then away up the hill.

90 degrees across the slope in whatever direction ( traffic wise) was appropriate then roll back down hill using the brakes to control it then away up the hill.

Chicken .. :D

Too right !

Ducati dont crash well !

...And to be fair, it all depends on the steering lock of the bike. I'd do the same as you on any sports bike....

Most people prefer going counter-clockwise.

This applies to running tracks, skating tracks etc.

Stems from a natural preference to favour your right hand/arm - and aside from ability to see through bends, applies to the road too. People are more comfortable leaning their bike to the left.

Counter clockwise as it gives you room to control the throttle at arms length rather than in tight against your chest.

Correction: 180 degree turn! And of course I assume it is safe to do so.

Making it a 3 point turn is sensible.

ride on .... providing you can.. now if Mr Garmin has taken you into a dead end thats another matter....

Oh yes ... leave the front brake well alone

Blimey - I wouldn't have the confidence to try doing that tight turning lark. I would find a suitable turning place, hop off and push it round!

Just keep going until you get to the next roundabout :D

Blimey - I wouldn't have the confidence to try doing that tight turning lark. I would find a suitable turning place, hop off and push it round!

get yourself on a Hopp Training course ... he'll have you doing feet up figure of 8 at full lock left and right:eek::p

get yourself on a Hopp Training course ... he'll have you doing feet up figure of 8 at full lock left and right:eek::p

My day job and there's a video somewhere when I was convinced I could do it blindfolded :D

U turn Japanese police officer style

A bit nifty...

Me too ... using gravity as my friend to drop back down hill, in reverse, using gravity :D

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom