Rear wheel bolts

Bmw Robert

Reaction score
Hello one and all. Do any of you put thread lock on the rear wheel bolts. Thanks.

Not. Not necessary. The bolts have a large contact area on the head (tapered) so just like car nuts or studs they dont need threadlock.

Just torque them up evenly to the required level.

No , just " nip" them up till they are right , :thumb2

The taper at the top of the bolt effectively locks them in position, just torque them correctly.

Thank you every one now nicely torqued up. And of I go for my first ride on my GS.

I used a light smear of anti seize pate on the threads. No problems and no signs of corrosion on threads.

I used a light smear of anti seize pate on the threads. No problems and no signs of corrosion on threads.

Not something i would do TBH but, hey.

I prefer to have the bolt threads dry and in fact it states in my handbook on page 113 "do not lubricate the wheel studs".
Is anti seize paste classed as lubrication? :nenau

It was liver pate colour.

Strictly it’s not necessary but as the bolt head is into a taper you would need to be a gorilla to over tighten. Its quite awkward so I always use the torque wrench.
It’s the lightest touch on thread only and tapers are always kept clean. Lubricate them and (1) they come loose or (2) they slip and allow excessive tightening torque.

It was liver pate colour.

Strictly it’s not necessary but as the bolt head is into a taper you would need to be a gorilla to over tighten. Its quite awkward so I always use the torque wrench.
It’s the lightest touch on thread only and tapers are always kept clean. Lubricate them and (1) they come loose or (2) they slip and allow excessive tightening torque.

I thought some of the hubs were cracking because of over tightening the wheel studs.

I thought some of the hubs were cracking because of over tightening the wheel studs.

So they said (BMW) but unless a scaffold pole is used it's bollox imho
Btw a thin smear of copper grease around the hub flange helps taking the the wheel off next time

BMW made the wheel flange a cute wavy design and it looks like took away too much metal. Fitting a heavy flange with lighter wheel would have been more useful.
DONT put any lube of any sort on the bolt tapers.

Thanks all for your reply. All done. And had a nice ride out Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom