Nav 5 suddenly stops working

Flaming T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was out today using the Nav5 on the bike. Stopped for a break and when we went to set off, turned key and Nav5 was blank. Took it off, wiped connectors.. still nothing. Took it off again, checked it over for anything obviously wrong but all looked ok. Put it back, turned key and all ok..:confused:

Stopped about an hour later, powered off. Went to start and same thing.:nenau

Any ideas? Anyone suffered the same? All comments and thoughts appreciated. :beerjug:

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. A really good clean of the contacts on the unit and liberal use of WD40 on the cradle pins seems to have cured it.

No problems since.

Good luck...

Not sure if this is the case, but when bike is not used for about 2 weeks, the battery in the Nav goes flat and also if you do not turn it off correctly, I take mine off the bike and charge it up on the mains with cable, if I realise bike has not been out for a while, it is the same if you have not ridden far, it does not have time to charge up.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. A really good clean of the contacts on the unit and liberal use of WD40 on the cradle pins seems to have cured it.

No problems since.

Good luck...

Cleaned bike and contacts this morning. Plugged Nav5 in and all fine... will keep an eye on it. Thanks for your input.

Not sure if this is the case, but when bike is not used for about 2 weeks, the battery in the Nav goes flat and also if you do not turn it off correctly, I take mine off the bike and charge it up on the mains with cable, if I realise bike has not been out for a while, it is the same if you have not ridden far, it does not have time to charge up.

I was wondering that so plugged it in this morning for 30 mins. Attached to bike and all seems ok. Will keep and eye on it. Thanks for your input.

Next time, try to double tap the screen. May be it is in sleep mode?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It might be this...

It takes a while to charge.
When you switch the ignition off it should (eventually) offer you the choice to turn off or cancel and stay on. If you do nothing it SHOULD default to turning itself off.
When it's off the mount make sure you turn it off by pressing and holding the on/off button until you get the same option. If you have set the screen to go off after a few moments of no inputs, then the screen will go black BUT the Garmin is still on using the battery.
Rgds

Mine seized up and wouldn't respond at all after riding more than 300kms. Battery could not have been flat after that distance and bike had been used every day for a week before. Unmounted it, took battery out for short time and replaced. All OK thereafter. Good idea to always travel with the little screwdriver.

Next time, try to double tap the screen. May be it is in sleep mode?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interesting... I didn't even know there was a sleep mode. Will look into it. Thanks

It might be this...

It takes a while to charge.
When you switch the ignition off it should (eventually) offer you the choice to turn off or cancel and stay on. If you do nothing it SHOULD default to turning itself off.
When it's off the mount make sure you turn it off by pressing and holding the on/off button until you get the same option. If you have set the screen to go off after a few moments of no inputs, then the screen will go black BUT the Garmin is still on using the battery.
Rgds

Yes... I always tell it to turn off when those options come up but I didn't realise that it may stay on in the background when taken off the mount. Will remember to check that in the future. Thanks.

Mine seized up and wouldn't respond at all after riding more than 300kms. Battery could not have been flat after that distance and bike had been used every day for a week before. Unmounted it, took battery out for short time and replaced. All OK thereafter. Good idea to always travel with the little screwdriver.

Good point..... the old 'unplug / plug it in technique. Like you, I travel with the case and screwdriver in the topbox so may give that a go if it happens again. Thanks.

Settings spanner, Display, Display timeout, choose "never"
That way when it the display will never go off until you switch the unit off..:rolleyes:

That way when it the display will never go off until you switch the unit off..:rolleyes:

Nice one... thanks for the info.

Good to know also I must check mine, just checked it was set to 2 mins, now set to never.

Hi

Turn off the battery saver will solve the problem. It is more than likely the power connect is worn which is a very common fault on this version. Way around it is double sided sticky tape to hold the plug in place when it goes into the holder. Not the easiest thing to do but it will hold the plug in position and keep the power on.

Derek

Hi

Turn off the battery saver will solve the problem. It is more than likely the power connect is worn which is a very common fault on this version. Way around it is double sided sticky tape to hold the plug in place when it goes into the holder. Not the easiest thing to do but it will hold the plug in position and keep the power on.

Derek

Where is the power plug on the Nav V cradle that needs holding in with double-sided sticky tape?

325af979-c554-4742-91da-4b83b79219e9.jpg

zumo_cradle_power_lead.jpg

OP, besides the guesses that it's the battery and / or some power interruption problem, my Nav V expired after exhibiting much the same symptoms as yours after many years of great service. Put simply, its insides slowly but surely gave up the ghost. Garmin were kind enough to replace it, well out of warranty, as I am a really nice bloke.

Start with the battery / power, as they are simplest... If it continues dying, see above.

OP, besides the guesses that it's the battery and / or some power interruption problem, my Nav V expired after exhibiting much the same symptoms as yours after many years of great service. Put simply, its insides slowly but surely gave up the ghost. Garmin were kind enough to replace it, well out of warranty, as I am a really nice bloke.

Start with the battery / power, as they are simplest... If it continues dying, see above.

What nice man arguments did you use :augie just in case :beerjug:

I rang Garmin and explained the problem. They could see from their records that I have had Garmin devices registered to me since the early days of the Quest, so they sent me a new or very well reconditioned (I couldn't tell which) Nav V by way of a replacement and 'Thank you'.

Even if Garmin charge for an out of warranty replacement, it's usually far less than the cost of new or even secondhand Ebay purchase. I have done that, too.

Smogbob, Do you use a usb cable from your computer to charge or a usb cable from a power adapter plugged into the wall? If it’s the latter what wall plug power adapter are you using?
Thx
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom