Crash Bars

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2017 GS and am considering putting crash bars on her 'just incase'.

I really like the stainless steel look so am really looking at Hepco & Becker or BMW OEM.

Anyone know if the 2013-2016 bars would fit my 2017 machine?

Would appreciate any constructive comments on either of these bars if you have them on your bike.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike
I transferred my Hepco & Becker engine bars from my 2015 TE to my 2017 Ex with no problems.
Also, I would suggest that you look at getting them from Germany (shall try and find the site) as I saved over £200 when I purchased a full set of Vario luggage and H&B bars.

Hi Mike not trying to sell you the Wunderlich, but I have the Wunderlich Stainless steel lowers and uppers on my 2017 Exclusive, they fit perfect as they are for the 2017 bike, you must buy the center bar also, just for info, the lowers fit most models, but the upper is specific for 2017 LC.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-engine-crash-bar-26440-500-1.html

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-center-strut-crash-bar-boxer-26441-205-1.html

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/stainless-steel-tank-crash-bar-adventure-style-26450-500-1.html

Many thanks for your info.

Mike

One advantage of the black ones is if you drop it is that you can touch them up with some satin black paint and it's near impossible to spot the damage. Drop them with chrome or stainless and they'll scratch :beerjug:

I have OEM BMW lowers and Wunderlich uppers on my Rallye. The uppers don’t leave enough space for the standard bracket for driving lights but Wunderlich make an alternative.

Wish I'd had crash bars on mine before I dropped it on the drive when applying the centre stand - and failing...

Wish I'd had crash bars on mine before I dropped it on the drive when applying the centre stand - and failing...

May not make you feel any better, but the beauty of a GS is it is mostly plastic and easy to replace, if it was a Harley now that would be expensive......

One advantage of the black ones is if you drop it is that you can touch them up with some satin black paint and it's near impossible to spot the damage. Drop them with chrome or stainless and they'll scratch :beerjug:

I agree but I really do prefer the stainless. If they do get scratched and I can't polish it out I could always spray them black then.

After a lot of thought I think I'll go for the OEM ones.

Cheers for your opinions.

Mike

I agree but I really do prefer the stainless. If they do get scratched and I can't polish it out I could always spray them black then.

After a lot of thought I think I'll go for the OEM ones.

Cheers for your opinions.

Mike

Fair enough. I just thought it was worth mentioning so you would at least be aware of the potential advantage of having the black ones before you made your choice. :beerjug:

I had the H and B on my last GS. Liked them a lot. Low profile....

2016-12-06%2019.20.58.jpg

I've road tested the OEMs lowers for you, on both sides, and can confirm that for tip overs only the underside of the upper bar takes a hit:D. So whilst you can to a degree polish out, you can't anyway see the scuffs when the bike is upright or even on the side stand. They also fit (very snugly) over machineart covers.

X-Heads have that covered that without the weight.

(That was supposed to quote Chassy B!)

I've road tested the OEMs lowers for you, on both sides, and can confirm that for tip overs only the underside of the upper bar takes a hit:D. So whilst you can to a degree polish out, you can't anyway see the scuffs when the bike is upright or even on the side stand. They also fit (very snugly) over machineart covers.

Good to know as I fancy a set of OEM bars on my Rallye and already have the MachineArt head covers. I thought I might have to deploy the Dremel..............

Some really good insights

Much appreciated

Mike

Good to know as I fancy a set of OEM bars on my Rallye and already have the MachineArt head covers. I thought I might have to deploy the Dremel..............

mmm, I'm now reminded that there was a discussion on this board regarding the changed design in oems (which I have), and someone mentioned that they no longer fit without reducing the rubber inners on the crash bars. I'll take some pic at the weekend and will post up.

Many thanks. I have ordered a set this morning. I really want both bars and cylinder covers so will look to ‘modify’ the rubber inners slightly with my dremel if required. I would be keen to know how you did yours.

Many thanks. I have ordered a set this morning. I really want both bars and cylinder covers so will look to ‘modify’ the rubber inners slightly with my dremel if required. I would be keen to know how you did yours.

Mine were actually fitted by the dealer. The story behind this that they were ordered at the same time as the bike but the dealer couldn't get hold of any stock (other people were finding the same). In-between time I'd fitted the x-heads.

I can't see any work that's been done on the rubbers, though it's fair to say that they're so close to the x-heads that I might not be picking it up. Someone did suggest that my dealer may have used spacers, which is what I'll also look at.

Will look to get some photos up on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom