A Shocked TMF

A BMW contribution due to the early failure of a part + payment by customer. But thats just me - I guess you will be happy to pay 2k when your rear shock gets to 19,000 miles?

Maybe we need a poll of who when they bought a GS with ESA if they would be ok with it failing at 19,000 miles and its replacement cost including fitting to be circa 2k?

If that happened to me and BMW told me to FRO I would never buy another on principle.

Thankfully for me there’s very little I can’t repair myself but if you not in this situation it’s not nice being told you either pay £2K to have something fixed which shouldn’t have failed or you’re left with your bike off the road and useless.

Anyone not knowing about bikes would expect a manufacturer like BMW to want to know why the component failed prematurely, assure the customer it doesn’t happen often and deal with it as a gesture of goodwill.

Saying tough shit isn’t the right approach and quoting £2K to replace a shock absorber is an insult

Yes, things do go wrong but the main issue is an eye watering £1800 just for the part???!!!!!! Mitigated by low mileage; still a young bike; a bike clearly well looked after; ridden and owned by a well-known motorcycle vlogger; and.... the dealer must’ve known who he was! TMF, with all his BMW vlogs, has probably helped to promote the brand and has surely elevated the lifestyle image of owning such a bike - it’s not like he’s done the brand any harm.

If this had happened to me, on a bike of this age and mileage, that’d been properly maintained and cared for, I’d be absolutely furious at finding out how much it was going to cost me for a new shock. £1800 is totally extortionate and wholly unrealistic. I would be even more annoyed if I got word from someone who knew about the problem, stating that I should’ve escalated it! Good god, is that really what has to be done in order to get a remedy?

In those circumstances I’d be very disappointed in the product for failing so soon, but wouldn’t be so arrogant to expect it to be fixed for nothing. Isn’t BMW supposed to be a brand proud of its reputation for being reliable and manufacturing high quality products? Customer: I like this bike but will the shock absorber pack up after 20k and 4 years? Dealer: That is highly unlikely sir, they are very reliable units, we see very few fail and that is usually after, more like 120k+. All hypothetical I know, but it’s what you’d expect to hear if you posed the question when buying a new one. So, my point is... ‘EXACTLY’ if it is a rare occurrence, as we all expect, why not help the owner out a little instead of making him jump through hoops of fire!

It’ll soon be March... ‘new bike season’. I love the BMW brand but stories like this really make me think seriously about continuing. Brand-new bikes are great, with their zero history and big fluffy comprehensive warranty = no worries ownership. My next point; isn’t engineering and manufacturing supposed to be getting better as the years roll by? Does the manufacturer not have the faith in their product to give it more than a 2 year warranty? These machines are portrayed as being ultra reliable? Add to that a very measly mileage limit? It’s obviously all about money, but an extra year of warranty would go a very long way in showing the customer that the manufacturer has faith in its product, and I believe would extend their customer base too.

Finally, I actually think that TMF’s vlog could be quite useful, in that, it could give those who really can’t get a good-will assisted fix from their dealer some hope in knowing that if their bike breaks, they can get a fix for a reasonable cost.

Very finally... I have a Rukka jacket which was out of warranty. The zip went manky. I took it into to a Rukka dealer who sent it off and said it’ll probably cost this much... a few weeks later the jacket was fixed; incredible how they removed the old zip which can only be described as being welded along the edge of the jacket, and put a brand new zip in with absolutely no visible signs of interference. Anyway, no questions of its age, or how many miles I’d done, or what has caused it, they made it as good as new for no cost! Guess I’ll be buying another Rukka when the time comes to replace it.

Time for bed, said Zebedee

I’d have expected BMW to sort out “the missenden flyers “ suspension on a goodwill basis in view of his high profile and thousands of subscribers!
Not much hope for Us

Yes, exactly.....very surprising he didn't speak to someone higher up the food chain....EDIT - he did..

I think Bahnstormer should tell TMF to FRO. Quite simple really. After all the bikes they’ve lent him, and the numerous freebies he’s undoubtedly got over recent months, to throw his toys out the way he did is a bit pathetic really.

You make a very good point......however, two to tango and all that....

Fcuk me do you own Bahnstormer or are you just after a discount on your next bike. We get it you disagree you don't have to keep banging on about it.

Calm down dear. :comfort

I must admit that I’m surprised that no goodwill gesture was offered on his out of warranty bike. I’d be interested to hear how the conversations went between TMF and Bahnstormer, as BMW are well known for out of warranty goodwill gestures. To post the slating video just seems bizarre, especially given who he is, and what he’s done to promote the brand. Maybe he can be a bit of a diva when things don’t initially go his way.:augie

The problem for me is BMW want top dollar for a poorly manufactured bikes then expect customer to pay super high prices for replacement parts it’s just a piss take

I applaud TMF for highlighting the corporate bullshit

The problem for me is BMW want top dollar for a poorly manufactured bikes then expect customer to pay super high prices for replacement parts it’s just a piss take

I applaud TMF for highlighting the corporate bullshit

Well said

Pity too many fall for it

I’d be interested to hear how the conversations went between TMF and Bahnstormer, as BMW are well known for out of warranty goodwill gestures.

Maybe it went along the lines of 'if you don't replace it FOC I'll....." and at which point he was shown the door.

Calm down dear. :comfort

I must admit that I’m surprised that no goodwill gesture was offered on his out of warranty bike. I’d be interested to hear how the conversations went between TMF and Bahnstormer, as BMW are well known for out of warranty goodwill gestures. To post the slating video just seems bizarre, especially given who he is, and what he’s done to promote the brand. Maybe he can be a bit of a diva when things don’t initially go his way.:augie

He probably irritated them just he does me, I’d have told him to fuck off too :)

I can’t see the problem with a BMW workshop fitting a second hand part supplied by the customer providing its safe, it works and they are not expected to guarantee it.

Having had a rear ESA unit fail , it did not leak oil externally and showed no visible sign of having gone t*ts up, however it had lost damping , was misbehaving and losing internal pressure on the preload side and dropping from highest to lowest setting.

If a punter presents a franchised main dealer with their bike and an E Bay bought replacement shock they want fitted the dealer will be unable to say that it is any better than the original until it is fitted and test ridden, if he wanted the used shock fitted he should have either done it himself or got a non franchised dealer to do so.

No main dealer will be happy about fitting used parts as even if they make it plain that they cannot guarantee the parts safety they can still be held responsible it it suffers a major failure.

It is the same reason as when we used to pop our works vehicles into a franchised dealer for minor warranty work they would do a full safety check on it, had they not bothered and the van suffered a major failure ie brakes (something nothing to do with the waranty) they could still be held responsible for allowing it out of their premises.

Blame the litigation culture we live in today.

In my case my dealer has always been extremely helpful in dealings with BMW UK, however, had I not had the extra years warranty despite the bike having covered only 14,000 miles I would have had to foot the bill and BMW would have said it was 11 montths out of the standard 2 year warranty

Having had a rear ESA unit fail , it did not leak oil externally and showed no visible sign of having gone t*ts up, however it had lost damping , was misbehaving and losing internal pressure on the preload side and dropping from highest to lowest setting.

If a punter presents a franchised main dealer with their bike and an E Bay bought replacement shock they want fitted the dealer will be unable to say that it is any better than the original until it is fitted and test ridden, if he wanted the used shock fitted he should have either done it himself or got a non franchised dealer to do so.

No main dealer will be happy about fitting used parts as even if they make it plain that they cannot guarantee the parts safety they can still be held responsible it it suffers a major failure.

It is the same reason as when we used to pop our works vehicles into a franchised dealer for minor warranty work they would do a full safety check on it, had they not bothered and the van suffered a major failure ie brakes (something nothing to do with the waranty) they could still be held responsible for allowing it out of their premises.

Blame the litigation culture we live in today.

In my case my dealer has always been extremely helpful in dealings with BMW UK, however, had I not had the extra years warranty despite the bike having covered only 14,000 miles I would have had to foot the bill and BMW would have said it was 11 montths out of the standard 2 year warranty

They have the mechanics scour the vehicle for fault whilst with them to maximise profits as the claims for warranty work are barely worth having.

Does the rear shock on a motorcycle do more work than the shocks fitted to a car ? A shock on a car can be reasonably expected to do way more miles and failures are rare

I believe that BMW warrant shocks to 30K miles regardless of the time warranty

If the answer to the first question is no then BMW are guilty of fitting poor quality shocks and then charging the earth for replacement. Bikers are treated as mugs !

Does the rear shock on a motorcycle do more work than the shocks fitted to a car ? A shock on a car can be reasonably expected to do way more miles and failures are rare

I believe that BMW warrant shocks to 30K miles regardless of the time warranty

If the answer to the first question is no then BMW are guilty of fitting poor quality shocks and then charging the earth for replacement. Bikers are treated as mugs !

My understanding is that the mileage doesn't matter if it's within the 2 year warranty. The extended warranty only covers shocks up to 30,000 miles.

My understanding is that the mileage doesn't matter if it's within the 2 year warranty. The extended warranty only covers shocks up to 30,000 miles.

I stand corrected but that says to me that an insurance backed warranty ( which is what i believe the extended warranty is ) has no faith in the shock units. Insurance bods being what they are will take all steps to minimise their liability and will have looked very carefully at what fails and when

Extended warranty only to 30000 miles no problem if replacement shock cost only £300. £1800 for new is high way robbery considering the mileage they will fail at.

I own and run an independent garage we long ago stopped fitting any parts we don't supply ourselves as if the part the customer supplied fails it was always hassle " you didn't fit it correctly", "you've charged me the first time surely I don't have to pay again " :blast

Back
Top Bottom