3 days in Whitby in June

JohnnyOldBoy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking forward to a long weekend in Whitby in June visiting North Yorkshire Moors.

It all looks good but has anyone got any recommendations for must ride routes in the area? Preferably on-road.

Before Wapping tells me off, I have looked and there are lots of suggestions for the Dales but not many on the east coast.

There are some great roads close to Whitby. Head to Helmsley via Goathland and Hutton le hole. Then up towards Stokesley and cut back across to Whitby.
Also you could ride down to Scarborough then across to Malton area using back roads not the A64 and stop at the arboretum castle howard for a bit to eat. Heading back to Pickering, Thornton dale and go through Dalby forest, out the other side through Hackness and back up to Whitby. The best thing to do up there is to get lost and you will find some great riding. Hope this helps a little.

A171 out of Whitby and then take the road from Castleton to Hutton le Hole good road great views just watch out for the sheep.

Imho it's worth a run over some great roads across the moors to Great Ayton to the Captain Cook museum ;)

A171 out of Whitby and then take the road from Castleton to Hutton le Hole good road great views just watch out for the sheep.

Castleton to Hutton-le-Hole along Blakey Ridge is by far the best road across the NY Moors :beerjug:

The other outstanding road is the Stokesley to Helmsley “TT” road.

Just watch your speed as there are scamera vans all over the place , especially on the main A-roads and the 30/40 sections near/through the villages.

The coast road down to Scarborough is good but too busy in tourist times. As an alternative plot a route adjacent Dalby forest through Hackness which also gives you a few hilly hairpins to enjoy.

A good loop is roughly Guisborough, Stokesley, Chop Gate, Helmsley, Pickering, Whitby.

A run out to Thirsk gives you the option to drop in at Teasdale bike shop (new KTM, Moto Guzzi, Aprillia plus used stock).

http://www.teasdale-motorcycles.co.uk

Mobile camera vans are known to be on the popular routes.

It depends what you class as 'must ride' roads....

The Stokesley to Helmsley 'TT' is one that many harp on about but I tend to avoid as there are generally too many knobheads on there on a nice day. It's much nicer to take it to chop gate, take a right & head back over to Carlton (maybe a brew at Lordstones cafe & take in the view) zip down the A172 Northallerton road to Osmotherly (nip off early past Cod Beck res, then over to Hawnby, Old Byland & Rievaulx.

To be fair, once off the main A170/A171 drags, you won't go far wrong in the NYM and don't be afraid to dip into the Howardian Hills - Ampleforth, Coxwold & around Castle Howard are all lovely.

As said, there are some good routes by Dalby forest/Forge Valley/Hackness/Silpho.

Other faves of mine in no particular order are;
Egton Bridge/ Stape/pickering or take a left near Stape on the unsealed road to Levisham.
Castleton/Ainthorpe/Fryup/Rosedale, head up Rosedale Chimney bank to Hutton le Hole or follow the valley to Cropton, Lastingham.

Enjoy. Keep off the main drags, don't spend agrs ploting a route on the 'nav & just meander.

Edit, Interesting comment from sven that the Blakey road is by far the best over the NYM & it goes to show that we're all different and want different things from 'good' roads :)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Falling foss, now theres somewhere I haven't been for nigh on forty years!

It's still there Phil, and just as lovely :thumb2

Enjoy. Keep off the main drags, don't spend agrs ploting a route on the 'nav & just meander.

Edit, Interesting comment from sven that the Blakey road is by far the best over the NYM & it goes to show that we're all different and want different things from 'good' roads :)

I do like to meander on the back roads, but also like a quick twisty road which you can enjoy without too much traffic or riding at instant ban speeds.

I've always heard the horror stories about the police presence and knob heads on the Stokesley TT road, but never really witnessed it myself

My daughter was married there in September 2016. It was lashing it down with rain and all outdoors apart from the ceremony which is held in the house. Cracking day despite the weather

My daughter was married there in September 2016. It was lashing it down with rain and all outdoors apart from the ceremony which is held in the house. Cracking day despite the weather

My daughter wanted to get married there !!

She intended to get married sometime in 2015 so we did a 'reccy' of Falling Foss earlier that year. On the day of the reccy it was absolutely pissing down, and it brought home to us just how difficult it might be to hold a wedding there on a bad weather day (there were to be a number of guests with mobility difficulties)

Venue change to Raven Hall at Ravenscar, in August 2015.....Absolutely beautiful day...And THAT view down to Robin Hood's bay.....PERFECT for her photos.....

I don't think that I will ever forget that bill.......:D

Back
Top Bottom