Irish Photo Rally 2018

Thanks for that, looks well spread-out!! I may have run out of excuses for not doing it this year, so....

Jimmy's Hall and Albert Lock

Hi all,
There has been a little bit of confusion regarding point 22, Jimmy's Hall and point 23, Albert Lock.

Jimmy's Hall:
There is no hall in Effinagh, Co. Leitrim - it was burnt to the ground on Christmas Eve 1932. There is, however, a monument to James Gralton. This is the photo point. The title "Jimmy's Hall" refers to the Ken Loach film which tells the story of James Gralton and his hall. Some people have also been confused because the monument is just over a year old and isn't shown on Google street view.

Albert Lock:
Albert Lock has recently been closed to the public, apparently. If the gate is closed when you get there, we recommend taking your photo of/at the gate.

For those of you who were unable to collect your badges for 2017 at the awards night, I'll be packaging these over the weekend and posting them early next week.

A few of you have been braving the cold, ice and snow to go to photo points over the last two weeks, but hopefully the weather will improve soon so the rest of us can get out on our bikes.

Stay safe and have fun,
Tim and crew.

Irish Photo Rally 2018 done, extra BMW Ulster section ones done, IBA Photo Rally 2018 done! Yee Hawww! 2000 miles give or take a few. Sure it's only petrol, tyres, and your ARSE!!:beer:

rory ya feckin insania

have you not heard of the foreign word summer?? :D

Finally got started today. A small run to test new brake lines and pistons ended up with 120 miles and one photo rally and one Iron Butt point done. I was only fit for the shower when i got home, but did I care one bit?

I planned the route this time. One Iron Butt and two photo rally. The only down side was having to use the N80/N11 to allow me to get to the south coast in a reasonable time. But the rest of the time it was back roads or twisties. :D at least now I feel as if I've broken my duck. :chickendance

And this time with photos.

Attachments

• 10 Wicklow Small.jpg
    10 Wicklow Small.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 11 Wexford Small.jpg
    11 Wexford Small.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 474
  • 12 Carlow Kilkenny Small.jpg
    12 Carlow Kilkenny Small.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 500
  • Clonegal Small.jpg
    Clonegal Small.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Clara sml.jpg
    Clara sml.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 515
Omg, the aul yoke is still workin

Down Derry Antrim on saturday

Pipe and dancer antrim

Ponderosa Derry

Forgot benburb cos of this lot

Attachments

• IMG_20180707_082425.jpg
    IMG_20180707_082425.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_20180707_082442.jpg
    IMG_20180707_082442.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20180707_084953.jpg
    IMG_20180707_084953.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_20180707_142524.jpg
    IMG_20180707_142524.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 440
I got out again yesterday. A quick bit of route planning on Saturday night gave me 7 points. 5 photo rally and two Iron Butt. 300 miles but sadly about 100 of them were motorway. Other wise some great R roads as well as many "interesting" green (now yellow) lanes. And I'll say nothing about the gritted "roads". I can hardly wait for the snow again so I can get some decent grip.

Attachments

• Suck sml.jpg
    Suck sml.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 460
  • Molerick sml.jpg
    Molerick sml.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 08 Louth Meath sml.jpg
    08 Louth Meath sml.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 09 Dublin Kildare sml.jpg
    09 Dublin Kildare sml.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 446
  • 13 Laois Offaly sml.jpg
    13 Laois Offaly sml.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 443
And the last two

Attachments

• 16 Tipperary sml.jpg
    16 Tipperary sml.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 24 Galway sml.jpg
    24 Galway sml.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 443
Keep meaning to do it....

:aidan

Bit disappointed it wasn't opened when I was there..

a>

I must get my finger out and do some more of these photo points I did 16 points up until the end of May, I feel a few days camping in the near future :thumb:thumb

I got out on the bike today. I had a 7 hour run planned. About 8 allowing for stops. The rain was predicted to stop at 10am and I set out at 10:15. There was drizzle for about 15 minutes but then it dried up. By lunch time I had to take off a sweater as I was getting too warm.

It would have been a great day if it hadn't been for the damn sat-nav. I worked out a nice route in Mapsource using mostly secondary roads. I missed one turn heading for Fermanagh and instead of returning to the route the sat-nav recalculated now using A and N roads.
I could live with that as some of the points were in remote areas where you would have to use minor roads anyway. But after a lunch stop I started off for Blackwater, point 3 only to find after about 30 minutes that the sat-nav was leading me back to Down, point 2. I had to abandon the route and set new co-ordinates again. I had lost over an hour. I ended up getting to Hilltown, point 4 at 7:30. At that stage I had accepted that I was going to have to use the motorway to get home. I finally got home at 9:05 just short of 11 hours after I started.
For now I just feel like bouncing the sat-nav off a wall.
I'm too tired to put up any pics for now. maybe tomorrow.

........It would have been a great day if it hadn't been for the damn sat-nav. ...........
My only advice for avoiding this - advice gleaned from experience such as yours - do your route on the PC but don't load it as a route. Load the way points A - Z or whatever. Also click on the "route" way points & copy them into a word document. Stick that somewhere visible (I have a transparent sleeve pocket). Go to A & when you get there set B.
Why? well if you make a mistake between F & G it does not take forever to recalculate & you still get to G but continue on sequentially to X,Y or Z. The GPS does what it can do & it remains your servant; you are not allowing it be your master. All this assumes routing on your device is appropriately set - fastest time or the more interesting shortest route with what ever shade of grey exist within that spectrum?

know where the fuck youre going in your own country :jes

no kidding - much like gerry said plot stuff a to b at a time dont ask nav to plot it all cos sods law it never ends up like you have it planned

know where the fuck youre going in your own country :jes

no kidding - much like gerry said plot stuff a to b at a time dont ask nav to plot it all cos sods law it never ends up like you have it planned

I know where I'm going in my own country but this was in a strange land. (And it doesn't come much stranger than Norn Ireland! )

Back
Top Bottom