RT LC needs new tyres !!!

Yonkyo

Dancing with the Diavel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After only 4500 miles, i'm disappointed that the Michelin PR4s on my RT are down the wear markers and feeling horrible.

So, i'm thinking either Bridgestone T31GT's or Metzler Roadtec 01's next.

Has anyone tried either of these tyres and can recommend them? I'm looking for the same levels of wet and dry grip as the PR4s but a bit more longevity would be nice. :thumby:

After a couple of visits to the Ron Haslam Race school in the wet where they used Bridgstone t30's i put them on my Multistrada and was super impressed with them so i put a pair on my RT LC and would go again when i replace them.

I have had PR4's in the past and like them but wouldn't choose them over the Bridgestones

I like the Roadtec 01

Switched to them on the XR and they doubled the mileage i was getting from the Pirelli and they do have great grip wet and dry

I now have them on the Hypermotard with equal happiness

Thanks for the replies fellas. So, thats one vote for each tyre. So i'm still undecided, though i'm leaning towards the 01's only because i've heard other good reviews.

oh i just cant decide :blast

Not sure I agree re Road Tecs v PR4s.

My RT also used to eat PR4s so I went back to Z8s.

I subsequently changed the bike for a GS which I've just put Road Tecs on (2k miles ago). They're fine (and better on the road than the OEM Anakee 3s) but nothing special - not noticeably better than PR4s.

Call me old fashioned but I reckon the PR3 was the best tyre I've had, when I used them on my Multistrada. Not very long lasting but always seemed really grippy - much more so than PR4s or Road Tecs...

Maybe I should go back to them...

Metzler 01.
I managed 8,500 from my previous set, only 6,000 from PR 4. The PR 4's seemed less secure than the 3's. Quite happy with the Metzlers.

Mind you they were pretty well shagged at the end and the bike was handling like a pig...
I just hate throwing away that rubber on the edge of the back tyre....:rolleyes:

Switched from Michelin to the Roadtec 01 and very impressed with their grip in the wet (very wet) and in the dry. My local tyre fitter was very clear that the RTLC needed the heavy weight machine Tyres on both the front and rear despite metzler’s site showing only the rear needs to be the heavy one. As for longevity I will have to report back later but 2000miles in and there’s no real signs of wear.

Metzeler 01 for me, even better than PR4 in the wet and longer lasting.:beerjug:

I'm very impressed with the latest Conti offering, the Road Attack 3. To be honest, all the main players offer such good tyres that it's hard to define "best"

Quite shocked at the price of the Metzeler 01's :blast
Or am I being a tight arse again?

Thanks for all the advice and reply’s fellas. So on the weight of votes for the 01s, I’m having a set fitted this Thursday by my local mobile tyre guy (who was also the cheapest).

So BMW wanted to rob me of £345 fitted...ouch
Best local indie was £300 fitted.
And my mobile guy was £275 fitted on my driveway.
BTW Best online price i found was £242 for tyres only.

My mobile guy actually recommended the new PR5s, as he’s getting loads of positive feed back from customers.

Thanks again chaps :thumb:thumb

PR5s not a recommended tyre for the RT, even Michelin say wait until the GT version and just fit PR4GTs as PR5GT won't be around until next year. Be interested to see how you get on, I need new boots very soon, have only used PR4GTs and have had no issues

Thanks for all the advice and reply’s fellas. So on the weight of votes for the 01s, I’m having a set fitted this Thursday by my local mobile tyre guy (who was also the cheapest).

So BMW wanted to rob me of £345 fitted...ouch
Best local indie was £300 fitted.
And my mobile guy was £275 fitted on my driveway.
BTW Best online price i found was £242 for tyres only.

My mobile guy actually recommended the new PR5s, as he’s getting loads of positive feed back from customers.

Thanks again chaps :thumb:thumb

Can’t see that there is too much feedback on the PR5 yet ..... it’s been winter weather since they were introduced.

Conti 3 get great reviews and should be sig cheaper than the others.

Ah, so the new PR5s aren’t available in the GT yet then.

As for the PR4s, I can’t really fault them regarding their wet and dry grip, stability, comfort and general feel. It’s just that I expected them to last longer.

Can’t see that there is too much feedback on the PR5 yet ..... it’s been winter weather since they were introduced.

Conti 3 get great reviews and should be sig cheaper than the others.

Had 2 sets of Roadattack 2GTs on my 2014 RTLC and I liked them a lot, but they were only lasting around 5k miles.
Maybe I’ll give the Attack 3GTs a go when the 01s are shagged (unless I fall in love with the 01s) :D

I like the Roadtecs a lot and got 5,500 out of rear (front not going to last much more).

Am trying Dunlop Roadsmart 3 next (just to try a tyre with a stiffer sidewall, and I love the Sportsmarts on the other bikes)

Next year will try the Conti 3.

Thanks to all the recommendations from you guys. I’m over the moon with the new Racetec 01s.
These are without doubt the best tyres I’ve had to date on my RTs. And a massive improvement over the PR4s in handling and feel.

Supplied and fitted by my local mobile fitter for £270.

My RT feels like a sports bike now and flicks from peg to peg with ease.
Grip levels in this shit weather is also excellent and I really can’t fault them so far.

DBEBE651-0E94-48B2-880E-6994636D0001_zpsfa3xq43s.jpeg
[/URL]

E572F4B5-F080-489D-A9DA-368C5544030C_zps4fzdlcmw.jpeg
[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom