BMW insrance

Yogibear69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This will be my first full year of insurance for the GS. had a few quote and all very similar but BMW (devitt) are a little more but you get the legal/ NCD protection as standard. are they worth the extra £25 over the other or as they all as bad.
thanks
fraser

Yogibear69, worth checking with them about extras. For me I almost went back to them as they gave a good quote, but they don’t automatically cover your luggage, even if it was fitted when the bike was collected. The increase in premium for adding panniers and a top box for my GSA was about the same price as a new set of said luggage.

This is obviously bike dependent; on something like the 1200RT with factory fitted panniers they are covered as standard.

:beerjug:

Thanks, just tried hastings direct and was £125 less than anything else with all the bits, will look around some more i think

I went for BMW insurence conversation went like this age? 50 address, occupation, and so on for 15 minuets till the last question any other bikes yes says I right says she we can’t cover you because we only cover people with 1 bike. WHAT? I don’t want your insurance on those. Dosent matter says she. What a waste of time. JJH

Thanks, just tried hastings direct and was £125 less than anything else with all the bits, will look around some more i think

It's been said before but don't just look at price. Do a review of the company you're looking at and see how good they are at handling claims. It's not all about the cost up front.

I finally ditched BMW Insurance last year after putting up with their nonsense for a few years. They were awful, under-staffed, lacking in knowledge, increasing premiums every year and having to tell them what endorsements to put on my policy every year. Having taken more than a day to get through to them on the phone, I got rid. Now with BeMoto and enjoying the hassle free approach !

Yogi, I have only ever had one claim in my life and it was for me GSA which was stolen from my garage in 2012, was insured with BMW and had a full payout including gap within 4 weeks. They followed it up with a phone call 6 weeks later to ask if I was happy with the whole process, I told them yes and during the conversation I mentioned that I had recently bought a new helmet and twat suit from my local dealer to replace the ones stolen from my garage. The call centre person then told me they should have replaced them and the next day I received a cheque for £1000, they told me that my gear was covered up to £1000 with a £50 excess but as they had not paid out originally they waived the excess fee.

I know some folks will slag them off but this is my own experience. My mate crashed his S1000rr the same week as mine was stolen and it took his company (MCE) 11 weeks just to tell him it was a write off and another 4 weeks to pay out. He lost the whole summer.

Hope you get the deal you are looking for.

JimmyMac

Thanks for all the answers
, think i will do a bit more digging as to the after i have the policy bit

I went for BMW insurence conversation went like this age? 50 address, occupation, and so on for 15 minuets till the last question any other bikes yes says I right says she we can’t cover you because we only cover people with 1 bike. WHAT? I don’t want your insurance on those. Dosent matter says she. What a waste of time. JJH

I've got 2 bikes insured with BMW plus 2 other bikes with classic insurance. They won't let you have a named driver on a 2 bike policy which is a bit of a pain for us but I guess my wife is insured under her own policy.

I've been with BMW Insurance since 2006. I have always had a good deal with them, and they've always covered me for Observing with the IAM and for riding with Blood Bikes on the odd occasion I've used my own bike.
When I got my first GS in 2008, as a new bike, it was about £120. Over the years the price has steadily increased each year until it just breached £200 last year. Since the GS I've had, from new, a GSA in 2010, and a WC GSA in 2014, each time the insurance only went up very slightly and I stuck with the same insurer.
This year my renewal quote came through for my 2014 GSA at about £240, a bit higher than expected, and if I was keeping the bike I'd probably try an haggle them down a bit. However, I'm changing the bike on insurance renewal day, in just over a week, for a new R1200GS Adventure Rallye TE so gave Devitts (BMW) a ring to get a new quote. Over £800!!! Guess they won't be getting my repeat business then.

The Adventure Rallye TE isn't listed on any bike insurance site, so I can't help but think that they've added an increased premium for it being unlisted (similar to what they appeared to be doing for the Special RT edition, in red, that came out just over a year ago). So I went to the BMW insurance site and got a quote against a normal R1200GS Adventure TE (which is exactly the same as my Rallye, except mine has a bit of blue paint on the tank and part of the frame), it came in at just over £500. They are still not going to get my business, but £300 difference!!!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom