Oh the Irony - The unstoppable - stoppable

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You couldnt make it up lol

As you know i'm having a few issues keeping the GS running at idle, today being no exeption

Stop at a roundabout on the way to work, and it stops. Restarted and rode into work..

Went to turn the ignition off, and the key is stuck fast in the barrel - wont turn - engine still running!

Killed the engine and tried to turn the key,

eventually the key will turn but no way is it comming out ... hmmm this is going to be fun ...

At this time a colleague turned up on his 800R -- stopped his bike and went to remove his key ---

Feck me, his key was also stuck ..

So theres two of us trying to remove stuck keys ---

In the end he went and got some hot water to pour over the key / barrel

Typical, you want em to run, they dont, you want them to stop. they wont..

clearly-4 windchill across an allumimium headstock assy wasnt in the winter testing program ;)

Sounds very bizzare to happen to both of you maybe a design flaw producing an excess of fluids entering the key area, so maybe having some form of cover over it when the bikes stationary will help insualte and keep it dry. Contact Mothership and get a recall initiated :D

It'll only freeze if its wet.
But now you've just poured water into the lock so it'll be twice as bad tomorrow.
Suggest next time just pour some hot water on a cloth and wrap it around the lock.

Just wazz some WD40 into it with the straw pushed to the bottom. Nobody told my locks that WD40 isn't suitable and they work just fine.

PS Put a rag over the lock before pressing the t*t. Don't ask how I know. ;)

Just wazz some WD40 into it with the straw pushed to the bottom. Nobody told my locks that WD40 isn't suitable and they work just fine.

PS Put a rag over the lock before pressing the t*t. Don't ask how I know. ;)

I agree. Would rather put a dry lube in a good lock, but if its already wet then WD40 is the way to go.

I am sure you know but wind chill is only experienced by people and animals. -4c is -4c it only feels colder to warm bodies when the wind blows. It’s to do with the way we sense the cold. There’s something about humidity too but I can’t remember or be bothered to look it up. Just saying like.

I am sure you know but wind chill is only experienced by people and animals. -4c is -4c it only feels colder to warm bodies when the wind blows. It’s to do with the way we sense the cold. There’s something about humidity too but I can’t remember or be bothered to look it up. Just saying like.

Whatever ;) it froze the keys in the lock :)

Strange it would do it after riding though once the bikes actually warmed up.

Wind chill applies to any object alive or not that cooler air passes over.

Wind chill applies to any object alive or not that cooler air passes over.

nope not that simple. You probably know this but...

edited

Wind passing over a warm object will cool down more quickly - true (think blowing on a hot cup of tea), but saying that an object is colder than the ambient temperature because of wind chill is not true. Wind chill cannot cool anything down to less than the ambient temperature. Not even our skin.

When the weather forecast gives a wind chill temperature it is "a feels like" temperature because our bodies need to work harder to maintain our temperature as if the ambient temperature was the same as the feels like temperature. The feels like temperature depends on the strength of the wind (stronger = feels colder) and the humidity of the air - drier feels colder (I think).

do not use that schite WD40

Get yourself a tin of Fuchs Silkolene Silkopen

It's a heavily graphited aerosol solution Brilliant at lubricating and freeing up "and" not drying up and going back to square one!

Wind chill is only an issue when you wear the wrong coat. Important info for many Brits who expect to walk about in a T shirt in any old weather.

article-1334827-0C4F4353000005DC-625_634x419.jpg

And one for the laydees

ct-severe-weather-20150509

dont pour water in it...heat the key with a lighter/match and use that...cover barrel with furniture puck when parked, or something similar...?

dont pour water in it...heat the key with a lighter/match and use that...cover barrel with furniture puck when parked, or something similar...?

Had i not quit the Tabs 18 years ago, the zippo would have been out, and while i had my first smoke of the day the key would

have been lightly smoked ;)

Dam. i knew there was a reason i shouldnt have given up smoking lol

I do put a little bit of white lithium grease in the barrel and never had an issue.

Others recommend using graphite as in rubbing a pencil on the key and then put the key in and out a few times but I'm not sure if that will help with freezing temperatures.

Cheers,
Rami

Back
Top Bottom