Issues resolved on my 2012 R1200R

chasbmw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I very recently acquired a R1200R from a BMW dealer about 150 miles from where I live. I got the 2 year BMW 2nd hand bike warranty

I rode the bike home and this week was undertaking some general inspection and farkling and found some issues:

The exhaust flap was partially seized
There was a leak on engine oil from the Crankcase/ gearbox join.

So this Thursday I rang up the BMW warranty people, who collected the bike within the hour and delivered it to my local dealer, Dick Lovett's in Bristol, who gave me a call and we discussed the issues that I had found.

Friday they called again, sent me a video of the bike identifying the problems and said the bike was done apart from a clutch switch that they were waiting for. Today the bike was complete. New Crankcase, balance shaft and gearbox seals, new clutch friction disc, Clutch switch and exhaust valve.

Nil cost to me, fairly major surgery completed within 48 hours.

i think that Dick Lovett's have done a bloody good job really quickly and they must keep a good stock of parts as well. I'm impressed. I'm not so impressed by the supplying dealers PDI.

Charles

i think that Dick Lovett's have done a bloody good job really quickly and they must keep a good stock of parts as well. I'm impressed. I'm not so impressed by the supplying dealers PDI.

It may be that the oil leak would not be apparent on a freshly pressure washed bike and it would need a few miles to reappear. Similarly the exhaust flap may not be checked if the bike seemed to be running ok.

I'm sure the fact that if the issues had been spotted by the dealer before the sale then they'd have had to fix them at their expense whereas having them spotted a few days later caused the cost to be picked up by someone else is purely coincidental.

It may be that the oil leak would not be apparent on a freshly pressure washed bike and it would need a few miles to reappear. Similarly the exhaust flap may not be checked if the bike seemed to be running ok.

I'm sure the fact that if the issues had been spotted by the dealer before the sale then they'd have had to fix them at their expense whereas having them spotted a few days later caused the cost to be picked up by someone else is purely coincidental.

Ha ha that's a very trusting view!
I don't believe in coincidences very much. By letting the bike out they dodge the repair costs and it's passed on to BMW warranty some time later instead.
Maybe I am doing them an injustice but it's been done before.

In glad that you have got it all sorted Charles and enjoy the new bike.
If you are nearby call in for a brew.

I feel a Gloucestershire/Worcestershire 1200R coffee morning coming on once the weather warms up a little...........:beerjug:

We could easily do that........

One of the other issues was that the rear tyre had a deep piece of flint in it, been there for a while and had worked its way to the carcass, I knew about it, but was picked up by Dick Lovett’s as an issue. I obviously don’t know how long it had been in the tyre and I suppose it might have been picked on the 150 mile trip to Bristol, when I took the bike into Protyre, I had both tyres replaced and asked for the tubes to be done as well, tyre fitter showed me the front tube, with some really weird abrasions in it, tyre fitter it was because the tyre must have been fitted with folds in it, good thingIgotthe tyres done wasn’t it.

I feel a Gloucestershire/Worcestershire 1200R coffee morning coming on once the weather warms up a little...........:beerjug:

Morning Martyn
I sold my Classic 1200R to chap very near to you,coffee and pastries at Cotswold BMW then:D
Ric

Sounds like a plan, though that would require me to actually get it out of the garage and ride it.

Not sure if I can remember how...

Back
Top Bottom