Fuel line quick connects

There is no need to fit new Q/D's if your old ones are fine. If you're clumsy and break things then you're just as likely to break new ones as easily as the old ones. I see bikes all the time with their original 10+ year old Q/D's still working perfectly, use plenty of grease and don't force them.
I like your optimism Steptoe and obviously it's based on experience. But my little experience with a failed one that i hadn't even touched suggests to me they're a bloody failure waiting to happen. If the bike is secondhand, there's no knowledge of the treatment they've had. I wish I'd known how vulnerable they are, I'd have changed them. I'd always recommend changing them. Is whole big PITA if they fail out on the road...easily ruin a day and more.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

. Is whole big PITA if they fail out on the road...easily ruin a day and more.

Not really a show stopper ... Just bypass the Q/D. You could use a section of drain/breather pipe bunged into both ends of fuel pipe and cable tied or even the internal spigot of the Q/D pushed into both ends of fuel line

I carry a short length of spare fuel pipe and couple of male-male barbed joiners. Doesnt take up much space at all and should be a drama free fix in event of a QD failure.

Gents. You're much better prepared than me.

But tell me, do you carry a fire extinguisher as well? Cos i fear that could be needed also in some cases :)

I carry a short length of spare fuel pipe and couple of male-male barbed joiners. Doesnt take up much space at all and should be a drama free fix in event of a QD failure.

Isn't just getting a decent set of QDs a simpler solution?

depends mike. i have QDs and i look after them, use care when disconnecting and red rubber grease each time.

i think they will last, so i don’t feel the need to shell out for metal replacements. not saying others should do the same, but that’s my choice.

the pipe and joiners are just my £1 ‘insurance policy’.

During my Irish Tour disaster when I was stranded for hours by the roadside because a flying stone had punctured one of the oil cooler radiators, the guy who eventually rescued me by looping a by-pass hose to isolate the damaged rad yet maintain oil cooling through just one radiator - produced a very useful little tool which I think no workshop or toolbox should be without.

It's called a 'Powerbuilt' brand Hose Pincher. The name says it all but anyway here's a foto :-

Hose_Pincher.jpg

Search the Bay for Hose Clamp and you'll get nowhere - just endless lists of various-sized abrazaderas.

It's called a hose PINCHER.

depends mike. i have QDs and i look after them, use care when disconnecting and red rubber grease each time.

i think they will last, so i don’t feel the need to shell out for metal replacements. not saying others should do the same, but that’s my choice.

the pipe and joiners are just my £1 ‘insurance policy’.

I've got a set of metal QDs, and carry a dozen or so spare O rings with me in my toolkit (I bought a load in bulk a while ago). It's not a problem that crosses my mind...:nenau

That was my thinking.

Not necessarily the fancy, all brass versions. Just replacing the male part with the oem metal version should be sufficient to eliminate this being an issue. Well, in my view.

During my Irish Tour disaster when I was stranded for hours by the roadside because a flying stone had punctured one of the oil cooler radiators, the guy who eventually rescued me by looping a by-pass hose to isolate the damaged rad yet maintain oil cooling through just one radiator - produced a very useful little tool which I think no workshop or toolbox should be without.

It's called a 'Powerbuilt' brand Hose Pincher. The name says it all but anyway here's a foto :-

Hose_Pincher.jpg

Search the Bay for Hose Clamp and you'll get nowhere - just endless lists of various-sized abrazaderas.

It's called a hose PINCHER.

Looks like a handy tool. Small but really useful. Thanks for sharing :)

Good idea for Adv owners about buying the extra pair of QDs for the tank-balance-loop feed, plus carrying spare rubber O-rings from Mike O in Dereham, my loveleee. Bluss....

And Mark in Cambs. :- my mate Motorcycling Mo would be one candidate for a pair of your spare Link metal QDs. But your outlay would be more than 400 snoojits ! Plus shipping. That brand certainly looks as good as the superb JiffyTite ones that I bought, which you can source in single pairs.

AL

sykospain;4989301 And Mark in Cambs. :- my mate Motorcycling Mo would be one candidate for a pair of your spare Link metal QDs. But your outlay would be more than 400 snoojits ! Plus shipping. That brand certainly looks as good as the superb JiffyTite ones that I bought said:
The Motobins parts here will cost you £46.26 including postage for one male and one female, and you still end up with a plastic female part.
I would imagine I could do the all metal items for £50 posted. I can’t find a better deal for an all metal set-up. If anybody knows one please share as I would rather not have the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom