F650GS Twin exhaust popping

ferrol

Reaction score
The bike has developed a popping sound happens on downhills off throttle in most gears.

Now I know I have heard this a few times in the past and it has been normal, but of late this is becoming more frequent, as in every ride.

Anyone have any idea's?

Rainbow (Steve) suggested it would do this every now and then but to bring it in if its get worse. He also mentioned could be air getting into the exhuast, but I cannot see any obvious holes.
I don't fancy dropping it in to Rainbow now and getting charged to plug in and be told its fine.

Suggestions? Fueling issue?

Was thinking about buying myself a GS911 to see if I can diagnose it myself.

Thanks

ferrol.

You might not be able to see whare the air is getting in if that is the cause. Has anything else changed? New helmet even? JJH

No change, same helmet. :-( if only it was that simple. But good shout anyway.

You appear to have an air leak, start checking and tightening anything that passes air.

Best way? washing up liquid sprayed on the exhaust when cold? And look for bubbles?

I'd try WD40 on the intake side with the engine running first; listen for any change in engine note. Soapy water on the exit side should be fine; although it's worth noting that washing up liquid contains lots of salt, so do wash it afterwards.

Someone suggested vacuum cleaner on exhaust end and funnel n hose to listen the sound of air being sucked in.

won't damage the engine or anything? Am newish to all this.

Thanks

No. Just leave it ticking over. Block the end and see if you can hear any leak. Be aware that there may be manufacturing holes there to drain any condensation but these will be obviousy there. Also if there is a leakage from rust your going to make it bigger. JJH

Thanks,

No worries about making a hole bigger, it will get repaired if I find it.

I appreciate all your help. :thumby:

I'd try WD40 on the intake side with the engine running first; listen for any change in engine note. Soapy water on the exit side should be fine; although it's worth noting that washing up liquid contains lots of salt, so do wash it afterwards.

Sorry man missed this, Will try this also. Thanks

It’s more lightly that your leak is on the intake side of the engine but the exhaust is as good a place to start as any. Some people like the popping and banging but it needs to be sorted. JJH

You have used one of the best diagnostic systems out there. Your ears. Now take it to the next level. There are plenty of things you can do after you have carried out the simple checks outlined. JJH

I shall try these methods this weekend And report back. My thanks for the advice/info.

MIne still does it on the overrun.. I suspect where the can meets the downpipes by those springs. That's where I get a carbon build up at the join so its obviously not airtight

Thanks Dean064, I shall be checking that also, pretty much all joints, welts or even if an area looks at me funny.

Update: Found nothing on the Exhaust side of things, other than strange looks from the neighbours.
I noticed now that its had its 3rd tank of fuel through it, its not done it, also the weather is warmer.(Though not sure if that is relavant)

Missus was wondering what i was doing as I duct tapes the vacuum to the exhaust. Was not brave enough to try the block up the hole method.

Been ill so was not on the bike much at all last week. One suggestion was bad fuel or water in the fuel.

Will be keeping an ear on it this week.

Have very keen hearing to my backend ATM ;)

Back
Top Bottom