Oilhead Starter Motor

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need a new starter motor for my R850R, but I believe they are universal for oilheads. The Motorworks Valeo motors are a tad pricey at £180 so it would be good to know what alternatives there are that have proved reliable. I have searched the subject on here and read a huge amount of posts, but many are very old, so I wondered what the current thinking is. I can fork out for the Motorworks item if deemed the best, but don’t want to waste money unnecessarily.
I thank you!

I need a new starter motor for my R850R, but I believe they are universal for oilheads. The Motorworks Valeo motors are a tad pricey at £180 so it would be good to know what alternatives there are that have proved reliable. I have searched the subject on here and read a huge amount of posts, but many are very old, so I wondered what the current thinking is. I can fork out for the Motorworks item if deemed the best, but don’t want to waste money unnecessarily.
I thank you!

Best i can find quickly is £115

£97 from the eu with free delivery (new part)

looks like a pattern part but direct replacement for the Valeo & BM part

Best i can find quickly is £115

£97 from the eu with free delivery (new part)

looks like a pattern part but direct replacement for the Valeo & BM part

There are no end of cheaper motors. I am asking if any of these are known to be sound reliable units. Previous old threads mention failures of some of these cheaper units.

I paid £160 for a recon valeo unit from West Lancs auto electrics for my GS hexhead.

might be worth giving them a ring - there website is playing up at the mo

Some of the alternative starter motors have thinner cases, I'm talking about the alloy part that bolts to the engine case.

Buy a cheap version to use while you get replacement genuine parts from Euro Moto Electrics to re-condition your original, the parts are usually delivered within 10 days from the States so you'll have a spare cheap starter and a good refurbished Valeo for less than what's on offer :nenau.

I bought a spare from Woods Auto and although not the cheapest it's reasonably well put together.
If you do buy parts from Euro Moto get the upgraded housing and the magnets will never detach :thumb

Back
Top Bottom