Apple iMac OS X question. What OS can I run?

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an iMac from about 2009 thats running OSX 10.6.8 4GB RAM 1TB HDD. for a long time now I've resisted updated the OS because i liked Aperture and it was no longer supported, plus more recently i've been having problems getting a good back up. Now , my browser isn't really supported and more and more I find myself unable to run certain apps, log onto certain websites or I find I cant run the latest plug ins / updates. So I have finally exported all my photos , album by album from APerture. My question is how do I find out what is the very latest, highest OS I can run/

Here are the full specs of my Mac....

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.64f5
Serial Number (system):

If it is an i3 it is a model from about 2010 onwards so just go to update, and update to the latest version, High Sierra if my memory is correct, but if you are worried, connect an external drive first and then activate Time machine, it is a life saver if something goes wrong.

If it is an i3 it is a model from about 2010 onwards so just go to update, and update to the latest version, High Sierra if my memory is correct, but if you are worried, connect an external drive first and then activate Time machine, it is a life saver if something goes wrong.

I've got a 1TB TC that just refuses to back up. It takes forever and runs so slow it never completes a baxk up. It used to work then it started error messaging that the data it's was storing was too much and the disc was full . However, there is only about 600GB on the Mac. I pressed the reset button but it just won't back up now.

Have you thought about first upgrading the internal memory to 8 Gb. I used Crucial to check what was available. Made a big difference.
I like you was wary about upgrading. I was on Snow Leopard for a long time and jumped to El Capitan when they stopped supporting SL. I’m a bit old fashioned, of the “aint broke, don’t fix it” school. No doubt I will have to change sometime.

Tom

My iMac is a late 2009 model and runs the latest iOS fine. If you Mac isn't compatible then it won't update.
As others have said though update the memory to as much as you can have and then upgrade the iOS.

I think that you don't have a choice when you upgrade the OS. You are not offered the upgrades between what you have now and the latest machine compatible version.

I am not 100% sure on that but its my understanding.

The Genius Bar can install any version of the OS I know that for certain.

As for the memory upgrade, I've done it. Real easy, watched a few videos and did it.

Your machine will decide which OS it will install. Yes with photos multiple back ups are a must. I have 3 that probably the minimum I would recommend.

Good luck.

4GB is not enough RAM anymore.
I work daily on a 2009 MacPro (different processors) and it won't go beyond El Captain, 10.11.

I don't fully understand what your backup problem is, as that would be unrelated to the OS version.

I've got a 1TB TC that just refuses to back up.

Is "TC" time capsule?
Are you using Time Machine for backups?

It used to work then it started error messaging that the data it's was storing was too much and the disc was full . However, there is only about 600GB on the Mac.

If you are using Time Capsule, it does incremental backups (keeps history) so it will take a discreet amount of disk space.
It cleans up older backups as it goes, but if you don't mind losing older versions of your backups, you might try and start again from scratch (it will erase all the older version on the Time Machine disc).
It will take a while anyway.

Is "TC" time capsule?
Are you using Time Machine for backups?

If you are using Time Capsule, it does incremental backups (keeps history) so it will take a discreet amount of disk space.
It cleans up older backups as it goes, but if you don't mind losing older versions of your backups, you might try and start again from scratch (it will erase all the older version on the Time Machine disc).
It will take a while anyway.

Yes it's a TIme Capsule , I've done a soft reset in the hope that would fix it but it didn't . I'll call Apple support and see if I can get it working . I'd like to have at least 2 back ups just in case .

I'll google the RAM thing to see how ears that is too.

Is there a recommended supplier for purchasing the RAM ?

Updating the ram is a piece of cake, it’s just 2 little screws that remove a plate on the bottom (under the Apple logo) and they simply push in. Not more than 15 minutes all done, including shutting down and starting up after.

I’ll find where I bought my memory and post a link.

Updating the ram is a piece of cake, it’s just 2 little screws that remove a plate on the bottom (under the Apple logo) and they simply push in. Not more than 15 minutes all done, including shutting down and starting up after.

I’ll find where I bought my memory and post a link.

Here it is, I just downloaded the scanner and let it do it’s thing, it gives you options for memory and if I remember basic instructions on adding more RAM.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/upgrades

Yes it's a TIme Capsule , I've done a soft reset in the hope that would fix it but it didn't . I'll call Apple support and see if I can get it working . I'd like to have at least 2 back ups just in case

You can do that from System Preferences > Time Machine.

Is there a recommended supplier for purchasing the RAM ?

Crucial

Back
Top Bottom