How do you jump start an Odyssey PC535 battery!

autobot

Reaction score
Hi all,

This may seem like a simple question but it's proving far from it. The terminals on this battery are so confined within the battery that standard to small crocodile clips won't grip on. Does anyone know of a product that will clip to the battery terminal to extend it and allow the croc clips to grip to it that doesn't involve soldering or any too much grief?

Failing that, a simple solution that allows standard croc clips to be used to start the battery while in the bike would be very helpful.

All the best

Phil

Bolt on a small tail to each terminal - to a suitable location (under the seat?)

Terminate the tails at each end with a round eye.

Put an insulated cap on each tail under the seat, and separate them physically.

If it’s just a quick roadside jump you need attach negative to some metal part and grip a nail or bolt in the jaws of the positive clip and put that to the positive post on battery. Not something for everyday use but if your stuck needs must. JJH

The screwdriver from your tool kit work well as a probe to the positive and any bolt attached to the frame near the battery should be a good earth

460f5ea83c0fdfc245cdd45bf1a1935c.jpg

Use the 12V post on the starter motor and clip the negative to any bear metal part of the bike.

Take care which bear part you use......

:D

460f5ea83c0fdfc245cdd45bf1a1935c.jpg

Take care which bear part you use......

:D

oops, sometimes I surprise myself how thick I can be, my boss is convinced I'm dyslexic.

I wouldn't clip a crocodile clip to that thing though.

(and yes I've read this post 3 times and I'm sure I've made another mistake.)

The aim here seems to be ease of connecting jump leads to a regularly flattened battery. As the Odyssey is a lead acid battery, albeit an AGM, flattening it at all damages it, causing it to lose capacity; flattening it routinely will kill It in fairly short order. Far better to find a way not to flatten it in the first place. I'd recommend keeping it connected to a Ctek or Optimate with an AGM setting.when the bike isn't in use for more than a few days.

The screwdriver from your tool kit work well as a probe to the positive and any bolt attached to the frame near the battery should be a good earth

That's the one. Also works with many other bikes where the battery is buried. Black jump lead can go to any bare metal on the engine. Though to be fair there is not very much that's not painted or too deep set to access. I used a starter motor mounting bolt.

The aim here seems to be ease of connecting jump leads to a regularly flattened battery. As the Odyssey is a lead acid battery, albeit an AGM, flattening it at all damages it, causing it to lose capacity; flattening it routinely will kill It in fairly short order. Far better to find a way not to flatten it in the first place. I'd recommend keeping it connected to a Ctek or Optimate with an AGM setting.when the bike isn't in use for more than a few days.

Or use my method and junk the lead acid. ;) Though running my battery to dead flat will kill it.

Or use my method and junk the lead acid. ;) Though running my battery to dead flat will kill it.

Lion, I presume? Anyway, quite. My point is he is trying to solve the wrong problem by making jump starting easier.

The worst bike I had for jump starting was the BMW F800 GS the battery is under the centre panel on the false petrol tank.Because of the design once jump started the key needs to be off your bunch as the cover has to go back over the key lock with the bike still running.

228aedcc3d873150f2cb6313904e5279.png
3c2e727b68e1182ab75f41d801f48f47.png

Hmm unlikelyI would think normally if they get to a very low voltage then it can have issues being recognized by the charger

Will an Odyssey Battery take a charge if it’s been left for several years, as it’s supposed to be able charge from flat?

:nenau

Its a lead acid so allowing it to go flat will have caused hard sulphation and might even send some cells into reverse voltage. An Optimate might recover it, but damage will have been done. If you dont have power to the garage for a conditioning charger, fit a battery type that does not need to be kept topped up.

I went for a JMT Lithium and have not looked back. 10% charge loss over 12 months standing causes no damage. Its also (a lot) less weight and a little over 1/2 the cost of an Odyssey 535. It will not withstand being taken to dead flat. Dead = killed, but it has indicators and a test button to keep tabs on its charge state.

Why is everyone messing about looking under the seat to jump start these bikes?

Is it just me but ism't there a perfectly accessible place to jump on the back of the starter motor? That's what I do.

Roger.

That’s fine if you don’t mind arc damage to the starter positive terminal. It’s also a small area to clip onto so you risk shorting the positive clip to the starter casing.
Easier maybe but more risky as well.

Will an Odyssey Battery take a charge if it’s been left for several years, as it’s supposed to be able charge from flat?

:nenau

You will have to trick it to take the charge, and still after that, it is not guaranteed the old battery will hold the charge, the trick is crocodile clips on a good battery and the bad battery, keeping the crocodile clips on both batteries, then put the optimate or other battery charger on the good battery for 2 hours or so, let it work, this should trick the dead battery to accept a charge again, after 2 hours disconnect everything, and just connect dead battery to optimate etc, and leave for about 2 days, IF THESE ARE SEALED BATTERIES:

Optimate will give a high voltage kick to a dead battery, but only if it sees some signs of life. This helps to avoid a cell going reverse polarity. TBH a battery that old is probably a lost cause and wont be reliable.

Two 12 volt batteries in series can also be used to "wake up" a dead battery.

Optimate will give a high voltage kick to a dead battery, but only if it sees some signs of life. This helps to avoid a cell going reverse polarity. TBH a battery that old is probably a lost cause and wont be reliable.

Two 12 volt batteries in series can also be used to "wake up" a dead battery.

Parallel Shirley?

Series woiuld only apply 6 volts to each whereas parralel applies 12 volts

Back
Top Bottom