Cheap Chinese running lights

Likelylad

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Whilst I am waiting for this crappy weather to go away,I thought I would add some farkles to me new RT.Bought a HEXezCan,used it to fit a pair of Denali D4's.The ezCan is everything I thought it would be,brilliant.
The D4's only use 3amps for the pair so have plenty of power in reserve via the ezCan channels.
Because I have power to spare,I thought I would fit a pair of these cheap (£50 a pair) Chinese jobbies off Ebay.These lights are a copy of the BMW ones,not a bad deal.I had a pair of genuine BMW ones fitted to my 2014 GS,never felt so ripped off in my life £398! and as an LED light,they were pretty poor.I tested the Chinese ones direct from a spare battery,they are massively brighter than the BMW ones.They are rated at 40 watt's each
and 3000 lummins.
Here is my issue with these lights.No one seems to know,including the seller,what the maximum amperage draw is for these lights.Have any of you guys used these lights and if so do you know what the amp draw is.

I was going to try and explain how to do it with a multi meter, better still here is a link to a video www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2KaBSNwRk

That page will give you links to others that may well be more suitable for your needs.

Of course you have to have a half decent meter to start with but hope it helps you out. There may be someone along to give you an approx guide to the max current draw.

I purchased a set off Amazon they arrived with one failed unit with a label attached from the previous purchaser stating it wasn't working.Had they worked they looked quite a good unit as the cable on these is sealed at the heat unit whereas the BMW lights have a socket which can get ingress of water making them fail.The trouble with Amazon is they seem to just pick from an order bin which may be from several suppliers [some fake] and have returns in it too.

You can check the load by installing an ammeter in line but they are usually well lower than actually stated.

890a6a56708eb2e6615e4754da9bbed1.png

If they run at the stated 40 watts then in a 12v circuit they'll draw 3.33amps

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If they run at the stated 40 watts then in a 12v circuit they'll draw 3.33amps

If I can remember my O Level physics (and that's a long time ago now!) you divide the voltage into the wattage to get the amperage. Thus 40/12=3.33

It's adviseable to add a bit of margin though so I would be inclined to go with 40*1.5/12.:thumb2

Anyone noticed that BMW has changed the design of the OEM aux lights on the 2018 models? Different lens and different connection. I assume it is to correct the problem of water regularly getting into the old design.

Hi everybody,
Whilst I am waiting for this crappy weather to go away,I thought I would add some farkles to me new RT.Bought a HEXezCan,used it to fit a pair of Denali D4's.The ezCan is everything I thought it would be,brilliant.
The D4's only use 3amps for the pair so have plenty of power in reserve via the ezCan channels.
Because I have power to spare,I thought I would fit a pair of these cheap (£50 a pair) Chinese jobbies off Ebay.These lights are a copy of the BMW ones,not a bad deal.I had a pair of genuine BMW ones fitted to my 2014 GS,never felt so ripped off in my life £398! and as an LED light,they were pretty poor.I tested the Chinese ones direct from a spare battery,they are massively brighter than the BMW ones.They are rated at 40 watt's each
and 3000 lummins.
Here is my issue with these lights.No one seems to know,including the seller,what the maximum amperage draw is for these lights.Have any of you guys used these lights and if so do you know what the amp draw is.

Thinking of the D4 as well on my RT. Did you use the under the wing mirror bracket? If so, was it a Denali supplied item and did you get them from Sportsbike Shop?

Back
Top Bottom