Intermittant charging issue

steve'o

Reaction score
Hi all, had a bit of a strange one off fault on Sunday and just wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

Stopped for fuel and when I went to restart I noticed that the battery warning light was not on. No problem, I only live a few hundred meters away so rode home.

Stopped it and again no battery warning light, all others fine.
Started and checked output and no output from alternator.
Put it away and whent to get my bike gear off.
Came back to it, switched on, and battery light now on!
Started it and now have 13.5 ish volts at idle, so all seems good.

I have checked various plugs and connections, everything is tight, manipulated all the headstock wiring, and just can't get it to happen again.

I'm thinking that for some reason it lost the 12v feed through the warning light to the alternator, therefore no output.

I hate having a undiagnosed problem on the bike, and off on a long ride in a few weeks so its niggling my mind.

So has anyone experienced similar or got and sujestons?

Does your bike have servo brakes?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Check the thin blue wire that plugs into the alternator, could be the wiring at the spade connector is corroding.

Check the thin blue wire that plugs into the alternator, could be the wiring at the spade connector is corroding.

Have checked that. It had very light corrosion but wasn't loose. Tried wiggling it to see if I could get the warning light to go out when not running but it wouldn't.

Have checked that. It had very light corrosion but wasn't loose. Tried wiggling it to see if I could get the warning light to go out when not running but it wouldn't.

Try the large bunch of crimped earths in the instrument loom that runs down from the instruments - water gets in the outer sheafing and corrodes the unprotected bunch of earth leads all crimped together, you have to cut through the outer sheaf/covering - I've found many a mess of verdigris where there should all the earths.

Try the large bunch of crimped earths in the instrument loom that runs down from the instruments - water gets in the outer sheafing and corrodes the unprotected bunch of earth leads all crimped together, you have to cut through the outer sheaf/covering - I've found many a mess of verdigris where there should all the earths.

Sounds like a possibility that I wasn't aware of. Following the wiring down from the instruments, roughly where is the joint? Is it in the wiring by the headstock or further back?

Sounds like a possibility that I wasn't aware of. Following the wiring down from the instruments, roughly where is the joint? Is it in the wiring by the headstock or further back?

It's the large loose covered loom. The water gathers at the bend on the lowest point, just where the unprotected earths are conveniently bunched together.

Think I found it. All looks good but is crimped, not soldered? Will try to post pick. Maybe someone has already been at it.
Gave it a good wiggle about to check if it affected the battery light but it didn't.

Starting to think it will have to wait till I'm stood at the side of the road with a flat battery for it to appear again!

Sorry, just re read your post Steptoe, crimp is good. Saw solder mentioned in the wiring diagram.

Yep, seemed OK, but swapped it with the main beam build whilst I was back there.

Back
Top Bottom