Motorcycle vs Pedestrian

joness7

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I had a minor accident last week where I ended up striking a pedestrian. It was their fault as they ran across a light controlled crossing on a red man (I had a green light). I was going slowly anyway and braked quite hard, but still hit her and knocked her over. I didn't fall off. Ambulance and police attended, though she was fine and didn't go to hospital.

I thought at the time there was very little damage to my bike, it all looked ok, no broken panels, screen, lights etc. However after riding it a bit more I'm a bit concerned maybe the front frame is bent now. My dipped beam seems to be irritating drivers and my full beam tries to light up the moon. My screen seems to be slightly out of line as well.

So insurance - I asked my insurer a hypothetical question, and their advice was to claim off my own fully comp. However this is going to cost me £300 excess + increased premiums. They said because of the difficulties claiming against pedestrians they don't go after them. Is this true? So someone else does something stupid and I have to fund it?

Has anyone else had experience of bike vs pedestrian? What was the outcome?

Any useful help/advice welcome!!

It's possible to claim off the pedestrian if they have house insurance and you have the details such as their name address and their insurance company :rob

(I've done it twice in the past)

It’s possible to claim off them personally - even if they have no insurance.

might just be your mind playing up ....to bend a frame you would have to have knocked the pedestrian with some force.....possible they hit the headlight which has knocked it upwards ? glad both of you not too bad

Check headlight to see if anything knocked out of alignment, be surprised if frame bent if it was slow speed and no injury. Any cheap repairs ignore insurance and pay. You could try and get the money from pedestrian if not excessive, they may pay.

It happened to me 5 years ago. Pedestrian didn't see me and just tried to nip across the (wide) road in the gap I was filling between two cars. I was doing 40mph and knocked her flying, I just about managed to stay on and luckily nothing coming the other way as I was all over the place. I was on a Transalp and damaged the hand guard, bent the clutch lever, broke a couple of fairing fasteners and that was about it. My hip hurt like feck for a few months afterwards (at the time fine) from where I had slammed my foot into the road to stay on. She broke a wrist and was a bit dazed for a few minutes. Police came, I was locked in the car, breathalysed and made to feel like it was all my fault. A week later I got a phone call from the police and a later a letter saying no action was being taken against me, which I wasn't that happy about until I spoke to the traffic cop who did eventually say in his opinion it clearly wasn't my fault, which what I wanted to hear.

I reported to my insurance "just in case" but next renewal they loaded my premium as they said I had made a claim. It took much persuading that that wasn't true, I think the clincher was when I asked for the details of exactly what my claim involved and while they wouldn't say "nothing" they did eventually put my premium back down to where it should be. In terms of damage to my bike it cost me all of about £50 to fix which I decided wasn't worth pursuing down any route. Its just life isn't it, I counted myself lucky and her unlucky. I think even if the cost had been in the low hundreds I would have done the same, although the bike would have been an insurance write off if it had got much higher, and I wouldn't have wanted that either.

It happened to me 5 years ago. Pedestrian didn't see me and just tried to nip across the (wide) road in the gap I was filling between two cars. I was doing 40mph and knocked her flying, I just about managed to stay on and luckily nothing coming the other way as I was all over the place. I was on a Transalp and damaged the hand guard, bent the clutch lever, broke a couple of fairing fasteners and that was about it. My hip hurt like feck for a few months afterwards (at the time fine) from where I had slammed my foot into the road to stay on. She broke a wrist and was a bit dazed for a few minutes. Police came, I was locked in the car, breathalysed and made to feel like it was all my fault. A week later I got a phone call from the police and a later a letter saying no action was being taken against me, which I wasn't that happy about until I spoke to the traffic cop who did eventually say in his opinion it clearly wasn't my fault, which what I wanted to hear.

I reported to my insurance "just in case" but next renewal they loaded my premium as they said I had made a claim. It took much persuading that that wasn't true, I think the clincher was when I asked for the details of exactly what my claim involved and while they wouldn't say "nothing" they did eventually put my premium back down to where it should be. In terms of damage to my bike it cost me all of about £50 to fix which I decided wasn't worth pursuing down any route. Its just life isn't it, I counted myself lucky and her unlucky. I think even if the cost had been in the low hundreds I would have done the same, although the bike would have been an insurance write off if it had got much higher, and I wouldn't have wanted that either.

So, after all that, should the Op claim against the pedestrian ?

I would have thought the problem would be two fold. First how are you going to prove she was in the wrong. Secondly has she the funds to pay your claim. I really doubt if you could have possible damage you bike much if you stayed on it. My advice for what it is worth is to get a bike shop to check it over and forget the idea of claiming and certainly never ever ask your own insurance company question like you did. Even if you do not now make a claim I expect your insurance will go up. Even non fault accidents can see insurance premiums increase by staggering amounts.

Be careful this could well cost you a few bob if you don't forget about it.

Derek

First loosen the front axle and pump the forks. This gets rid of any twist put into the forks. Then adjust lights and screen, then go from there.
Tom

Sounds like the Headlight has been jarred off the little peg it sits on?

You could always contact her for a private settlement in the first instance.
Presumably you have her contact details....especially if you get a written report from a dealer/garage.

As Blackal says you can persue them...if you have the will...but if they have no insurance and refuse to pay then it's off to court you go for a civil claim.
I guess the small claims court is the obvious place.

Ped's are a nightmare, I've nearly had a few them darting out between the traffic not expecting a bike to be filtering/overtaking....

So insurance - I asked my insurer a hypothetical question, and their advice was to claim off my own fully comp. However this is going to cost me £300 excess + increased premiums. They said because of the difficulties claiming against pedestrians they don't go after them. Is this true? So someone else does something stupid and I have to fund it?

Has anyone else had experience of bike vs pedestrian? What was the outcome?

Any useful help/advice welcome!!

Umm, I dunno really. Did he ask that question?

It appears so ...

Get the bike checked over by a reputable garage to see what, if any, damage there is before deciding.

May be none or trivial but only then will you know what to do next...

Get the bike checked over by a reputable garage to see what, if any, damage there is before deciding.

May be none or trivial but only then will you know what to do next...

This is important, a twist in forks or frame or upset headlight could be a MoT failure.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom