Fort william alternatives

If you're thinking about heading to Mallaig and getting the ferry to Skye then I'd suggest booking it in advance as the ferry can only accommodate a few bikes per sailing.
A good run is head south from Fort William, get the Corran ferry and enjoy the run out to Ardnamurchan Point. Come back via Glenuig to Lochailort. From there you can be in Mallaig in 20 mins or back to Fort William via Glenfinnan, watch out for all the Harry Potter fans as you drop down past the church towards the monument, they're that keen to get to the Glenfinnan Viaduct (the bridge that the steam train goes over in the movie) that they don't bother with watching the roads!
If you do head down the Mallaig route, turn left as you head in to Arisaig, nice little cafe by the shop by the shore. Stay on the coast road through Arisaig, take the next left on the B8008 which takes you the scenic route with lovely views of the isle of Eigg, Rhum and the Sound of Sleat (bottom end of Skye). After the Silver Sands of Morar you'll come to the junction with the main A830, cross over and go back on the B8008, after crossing the bridge over the river Morar, turn right and follow the single track road as far as you can along the side of Loch Morar, you'll have to come back to the junction at the church and turn right to get back on the road that'll take you through the village, past Morar Motors and back to the main road to Mallaig.
As you come in to Mallaig there's a petrol station on the left at the roundabout that has strange closing times. Straight ahead at the roundabout will take you to the ferry, or turn right, find somewhere to park and I'd recommend the Steam Inn for really good grub!

Lived there for 25 years, give me a shout there's anything else you'd like to know.

I'm heading back 'home' early May, catch some of the Scottish Six Day Trials while I'm there.
Enjoy the trip, just take care from Lochailort to Arisaig as it's still single track in some bits and tourists are too busy looking at the scenery and not the roads. The foreign ones seem to struggle coming off single track, they tend to default to the right hand side of the road.

Plenty of parking, pub adjacent, all you can eat average breakfast, McD's and Morrisons next door, easy walk into town.

Not the best rooms in the world but they work and you are in the middle of a great biking area.

Make sure you do the run to Mallaig. It's like being on a roller coaster on a bike.

Cheers mate will do

If you're thinking about heading to Mallaig and getting the ferry to Skye then I'd suggest booking it in advance as the ferry can only accommodate a few bikes per sailing.
A good run is head south from Fort William, get the Corran ferry and enjoy the run out to Ardnamurchan Point. Come back via Glenuig to Lochailort. From there you can be in Mallaig in 20 mins or back to Fort William via Glenfinnan, watch out for all the Harry Potter fans as you drop down past the church towards the monument, they're that keen to get to the Glenfinnan Viaduct (the bridge that the steam train goes over in the movie) that they don't bother with watching the roads!
If you do head down the Mallaig route, turn left as you head in to Arisaig, nice little cafe by the shop by the shore. Stay on the coast road through Arisaig, take the next left on the B8008 which takes you the scenic route with lovely views of the isle of Eigg, Rhum and the Sound of Sleat (bottom end of Skye). After the Silver Sands of Morar you'll come to the junction with the main A830, cross over and go back on the B8008, after crossing the bridge over the river Morar, turn right and follow the single track road as far as you can along the side of Loch Morar, you'll have to come back to the junction at the church and turn right to get back on the road that'll take you through the village, past Morar Motors and back to the main road to Mallaig.
As you come in to Mallaig there's a petrol station on the left at the roundabout that has strange closing times. Straight ahead at the roundabout will take you to the ferry, or turn right, find somewhere to park and I'd recommend the Steam Inn for really good grub!

Lived there for 25 years, give me a shout there's anything else you'd like to know.

I'm heading back 'home' early May, catch some of the Scottish Six Day Trials while I'm there.
Enjoy the trip, just take care from Lochailort to Arisaig as it's still single track in some bits and tourists are too busy looking at the scenery and not the roads. The foreign ones seem to struggle coming off single track, they tend to default to the right hand side of the road.

Cheers macmanx will look at that route on basecamp :thumb

Back
Top Bottom