Air Compressors advice

Jaz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking at getting a simple air compressor for the garage mainly for tyre pressures and blow drying after washing and possibly some other tools further down the road if I ever manage to get into this whole self bike maintenance.

So my first question is would a 24L tank be big enough for most uses? The site I am looking https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors say a 50L tank is minimum for an impact wrench which I can see being useful only in a limited number of occasions for loosening tough nuts so would a 24L tank be big enough for a one off use like that?

Next is moisture air filters, are they worth putting on for tyre inflation and using a blow gun as a drying tool for hard to reach places or is it just a waste of time? And I would assume they would need to be mounted on the tool rather than the compressor it's self to be of any use?

Thanks for any advice.

I have a domestic compressor with something like a 30 litre tank. I use it for tyres and a few tools, in particular a 3/8ths drive air wrench and a small d/a sander.

On the whole it is OK, but I occassionally have to wait for more wind pressure. If you have space, go for the larger tank.

Not really the reservoir size thats the important factor but more of what CFM output is, take a look here to see what is required to run certain types of tools,#

https://www.industrialairpower.com/wp-content/uploads/Air-Compressor-Consumption-Charts.pdf

A bit like saying the battery size isnt important - it’s the alternator..........

A decent-size reservoir acts as a good buffer so that you can run a compressor from 16A outlet- and still get a good run before having to recharge.

A bit like saying the battery size isnt important - it’s the alternator..........

A decent-size reservoir acts as a good buffer so that you can run a compressor from 16A outlet- and still get a good run before having to recharge.

its simple if you are removing it quicker than you can replace it you will first end up with low preasure, and a tool thats not working at its optimum, and then as the duty cycle increases (you use the tool for longer) you will end up with zero preasure and a tool that is not working at all. and then a long wait for the tank to re fill and the preasure to build back up, the bigger the reciever the longer the wait, certain tools require full preasure to work at there optimum, if the compressor pump cant keep the preasure there or supply the volume of air needed,. the tool will not work correctly no matter what size the reciever is.

4 cfm minimum , 100 lt tank minimum , anything smaller and you will be buying another one next year . buy cheap , buy twice .

I can't find a domestic compressor that only delivers 4cfm.

The unit that OP is considering is 9.6cfm.....

If the delivery rate is high, you don't need such a big tank - and vice versa

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a simple air compressor for the garage mainly for tyre pressures and blow drying after washing and possibly some other tools further down the road if I ever manage to get into this whole self bike maintenance.

So my first question is would a 24L tank be big enough for most uses? The site I am looking https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors say a 50L tank is minimum for an impact wrench which I can see being useful only in a limited number of occasions for loosening tough nuts so would a 24L tank be big enough for a one off use like that?

Next is moisture air filters, are they worth putting on for tyre inflation and using a blow gun as a drying tool for hard to reach places or is it just a waste of time? And I would assume they would need to be mounted on the tool rather than the compressor it's self to be of any use?

Thanks for any advice.

I've got one of these (24 litres) and ir's perfect for the lightweight jobs I use it for, I.E. Inflating tyres, blowing water off the bike after washing and spraying ACF50. It's small and light enough to be easily stored and moved about. The only thing
I would say is that if you are using it continuously to blow water off the bike then the compressor will kick in regularly and it's a bit noisy. Not used it yet for air tools do can't comment on that.

Thanks for that. Did you bother with any moisture filters our just run it as is?

Run it as is, but it's not expensive to fit a filter so would probably do that if using it for air tools.

I have a 25 ltr single piston compressor at home and a 100 ltr twin piston in work.

I use a 3” disc cutter and it runs out of poof on the 25ltr but is much better on the 100 ltr. The impact wrench is useless on both for anything tight but either are just fine to use as a blow off line and blowing up tyres.

Both however have been quitened down a lot by fitting an air-box on the intake. I used an old car air filter box on both, they look shit but work fantastically.

Forget air tools unless you are going to get a good compressor. Especially forget an air impact gun. I have used many and none of them are any good. Get a battery one or even a mains one. They actually work.

What you are looking at is OK for tyres and blowing water off. A chamois and track pump would work just as well though and save you cash.

Hi All,

Thanks for any advice.

I have the 100L one from SGS and would say for the extra few quid its well worth it. :thumb

It depends on what you want and what you want in future.
I had a little portable oiless 25ltr job that a neighbour gave me - it was great, being small, light and easily portable and all you need for tyres and a blow gun etc.
I swapped it for a heavier duty 50ltr compressor and soon wish I'd kept the small light one and bought a 1/2'' battery impact gun instead.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

its simple if you are removing it quicker than you can replace it you will first end up with low preasure, and a tool thats not working at its optimum, and then as the duty cycle increases (you use the tool for longer) you will end up with zero preasure and a tool that is not working at all. and then a long wait for the tank to re fill and the preasure to build back up, the bigger the reciever the longer the wait, certain tools require full preasure to work at there optimum, if the compressor pump cant keep the preasure there or supply the volume of air needed,. the tool will not work correctly no matter what size the reciever is.

Read what the OP is looking for. He’s not trying to run an air-powered sump pump for 3hrs at a time.

“It’s simple”............. Zzzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom