Build quality.

Had a Gen2 TEx from new and the finish was appalling - fasteners and spokes went to shite and this was a looked after bike. Went to ride it one day and there were orange blobs all over the exhaust can. Triumph replaced that but said the spokes and fasteners were as expected. Sold it on, not in a hurry to go back. I may well have got a Friday afternoon bike, but stuff online and other owners I've spoken to would indicate not. Just hoping the GS fares better!

Had a Gen2 TEx from new and the finish was appalling - fasteners and spokes went to shite and this was a looked after bike. Went to ride it one day and there were orange blobs all over the exhaust can. Triumph replaced that but said the spokes and fasteners were as expected. Sold it on, not in a hurry to go back. I may well have got a Friday afternoon bike, but stuff online and other owners I've spoken to would indicate not. Just hoping the GS fares better!

I'm very surprised that Triumph where not interested in a bike who's stainless fixings, and spokes, were starting to corrode despite the bike being less than 10mnts old and having not been ridden on salted roads.
Should be no such thing as a 'Friday afternoon bike' as far as fastenings are concerned as they are outsourced rather than made in house.

I've seen the process that Triumph put their outsourced fasteners through as in terms of testing for corrosion, and again I'd say I'm very surprised they where prepared to accept some corrosion on these parts after such a short period of time.

Enjoy your GS.

My 02 Bonnie I never bother cleaning. Then again. It is smothered in FS365. Has rebuilt wheels with stainless spokes and decent fasteners (now) :D

P9300069.jpg

P9300103.jpg

P9300093.jpg

Stunning bike ... like the bars and exhaust very much :thumb2

This is my on going project

Attachments

• E26B8EB9-61F8-4837-ACCE-D903CA2F5089.jpg
    E26B8EB9-61F8-4837-ACCE-D903CA2F5089.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 264
I had 3 of the early Tigers and the build quality was not great, clutch cables made of cheese ignition switches that fell out sprag clutches that went bang. The reason I bought an 1150 GSA in 2002 and have not looked back. Loved the Tiger but it was too unreliable for me

I had 3 of the early Tigers and the build quality was not great, clutch cables made of cheese ignition switches that fell out sprag clutches that went bang. The reason I bought an 1150 GSA in 2002 and have not looked back. Loved the Tiger but it was too unreliable for me

I had an early Sprint and then Daytona, both suffered from terrible corrosion and various other problems and I vowed I would never buy Triumph again.

But things change and as I eluded to modern Triumphs in my original post, I really meant in the last 5-6 years that the build quality has dramatically improved in my opinion and experience.

My 02 Bonnie I never bother cleaning. Then again. It is smothered in FS365. Has rebuilt wheels with stainless spokes and decent fasteners (now) :D

P9300069.jpg

That's bloody nice that is.

I'm not keen on the seat but the rest looks nice.....shame they can't make them like that in the first place (I know, regs')

Anyway, it really does look great......:thumb2

I'm very surprised that Triumph where not interested in a bike who's stainless fixings, and spokes, were starting to corrode despite the bike being less than 10mnts old and having not been ridden on salted roads.
Should be no such thing as a 'Friday afternoon bike' as far as fastenings are concerned as they are outsourced rather than made in house.

I've seen the process that Triumph put their outsourced fasteners through as in terms of testing for corrosion, and again I'd say I'm very surprised they where prepared to accept some corrosion on these parts after such a short period of time.

Enjoy your GS.

No more surpirsed than me! At that time I had a 6 year old dirt bike that was fairly well used and the spokes were in better condition. On the TEx they went black and blotchy, and felt rough to the touch. Triumph did say they source their fasteners from across the globe, but regardless, mine were cheese and I wasn't alone. That said, as has been posted here, I know others who've had the bikes and had no issues.

Water dispersal and protection
A company called Vapor-tek based in Bolton produce a spay on coating called steelgard. This outperforms ACF50 in a number of ways one of which is that it quickly disperses water and damp (better than WD40 or any other product I have ever used). The anti corrosion performance is way above ACF50. http://www.vapor-tek.co.uk/steelgard/

Back
Top Bottom