Zumo 395 wiring advice

cartejo5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening folks, just bought a 395lm and am about to wire it into an 1100gs.

Can you wire these direct to the battery or does it really need to go to to a switched feed like the side light for instance.

In the GPS wiring loom there is a black box which I think is a voltage reducer, will this draw current and possibly flatten the battery if its connected directly to the battery when the Gps is not connected to the cradle?

Many thanks for your help.

Evening folks, just bought a 395lm and am about to wire it into an 1100gs.

Can you wire these direct to the battery or does it really need to go to to a switched feed like the side light for instance.

In the GPS wiring loom there is a black box which I think is a voltage reducer, will this draw current and possibly flatten the battery if its connected directly to the battery when the Gps is not connected to the cradle?

Many thanks for your help.
You can connect it directly to the battery, the little box is an inline fuse.

Be warned, if you don't turn off the GPS (or remove it), it will drain the battery. If you wire it through a relay triggered off the ignition, the GPS will power off when you turn off the bike.

Hope that helps

T

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Connecting it directly to the battery will work, but when the unit is not in position the pins will still be live; this will exacerbate corrosion and the pins will fail prematurely. If you don't want to go down the relay route then just piggyback the connectors on to the sidelight.

Cheers guys, WOL it has a fuse point as you described but also this other black box (from what I can glean online it reduces the power down to 5volts).

The black box is the power supply - to convert 12v DC to the correct voltage for the Garmin - probably 5v.
Anyhow, a common method - which I use on my 1150GS - is to take the the supply from the live supply to the rear brake switch. Using this source means the supply to the sat-nav is only on when the ignition is switched on:thumb
The rear brake switch wires come off the loom around the rear brake fluid reservoir - once you locate it you need to identify which is the LIVE supply to the switch - the other wire is only live when the brake is operated,- ie it goes to the brake light.
You then need to splice your +ve supply to the Garmin into this LIVE to the brake switch by whatever method and position suits you best.
The -ve wire to the Garmin can be connected by ring terminal to any convenient frame earth.
I assume the wiring on the 1100 is much the same as the 1150?
This system means you can mount the Garmin power supply on top of the air filter lid and then the cable from the power supply can be run forward to the sat-nav mount.

Cheers......................Grizzly:beerjug:

Cheers Grizz, sounds like a good plan. I’ll have another look tomorrow. Many thanks.

I wired my TomTom to the sidelight using piggyback connectors with waterproof covers. Meant no wires were cut and can be removed easily if I change the bike.

I wired my TomTom to the sidelight using piggyback connectors with waterproof covers. Meant no wires were cut and can be removed easily if I change the bike.

I did the same thing, piggy back spade connectors to the front side light, no cutting of wires, no having to run wires along the frame under the tank etc. I did it for a Garmin 2610 but would think the little black box can be mounted under the silver cover for the clocks. If not there then under the clocks.

Back
Top Bottom