Delayed launch

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was in the market for the 850 and have just sold a GSA and a Sertao to finance it; have just been informed by the dealer the launch which was supposed to have been in March has now been delayed to May but BMW have given them no explanation. I wonder if they have found some glitches already.

Disappointing....but...

If they have found some glitches I would rather they sorted them out before releasing them. Too often these days, things are being sold and the early adopters are basically beta testers. Much rather a fully sorted product that you can rely on...at least in May the weather should be better!

If they have found some glitches I would rather they sorted them out before releasing them. Too often these days, things are being sold and the early adopters are basically beta testers. Much rather a fully sorted product that you can rely on...at least in May the weather should be better!

When was the last time BMW launched a new bike that was fully sorted? 1200GS needed steering damper, poor paint, crap heated grips, screen attachments that kept falling out and now fork collar gate, 1200RT had a mass recall for failed rear shock and back in the day the F800’s had a multitude of issues which were only really sorted about 4 years after launch. Make no mistake - these new models will have first and second year issues.

Was at the dealer again yesterday and been informed the F850 has been delayed again, current estimate for release is now June.

Told them I have given up waiting now so would look for something else, they offered me a new and heavily discounted F800 GSA TE for an unbelievable price, so I have brought that instead. I guess they are clearing them out before the 850s eventually arrive, hope I don't live to regret it, but the deal on offer was too good to miss.

Was at the dealer again yesterday and been informed the F850 has been delayed again, current estimate for release is now June.

Told them I have given up waiting now so would look for something else, they offered me a new and heavily discounted F800 GSA TE for an unbelievable price, so I have brought that instead. I guess they are clearing them out before the 850s eventually arrive, hope I don't live to regret it, but the deal on offer was too good to miss.

Wise move!:rob:rob

Looks sweet though..

I await the " doesn't look good " brigade :blast

:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180313-162147.jpg
    Screenshot_20180313-162147.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,375
Deliver Dates 850 and 750 GS

Dealer told me getting 850 and 750 GS in 15th of May.

Worth waiting for?

Ageing muscles and stiffening joints having suggested the move from a succession of 1200s to a 650 (twin), all I have since wanted has been a better front brake and a few more horses. It seemed that my needs would be met by the upcoming 750gs, which looked pretty good at the NEC. Yet after several months it has yet to appear at the dealers. That coupled with the power increase being minimal and the addition of half a sack of spuds to the weight makes me too wonder if it’s worth waiting for!
If the power output available to the 850 is merely to be electronically limited for the 750, why on earth can it not be made available to the “roadster”?

Was there no also a long delay before the Made in India G310 finally got released ?
Maybe this time the Chinese made engines are cause of the delay,we will never knw like we don't know what the problem was with the G310 that caused the delay of almost one year.
The beauty of globalism...:(
All that save a few pennies and lay-off workers at Rotax in Austria who used to make the F700/800 engines...who knows what the reason is for this times delay.
We probably will never know but at least they should call them CMW F750/850GS because the engines are definitely not Bavarian...:mad:

Was there no also a long delay before the Made in India G310 finally got released ?
Maybe this time the Chinese made engines are cause of the delay,we will never knw like we don't know what the problem was with the G310 that caused the delay of almost one year.
The beauty of globalism...:(
All that save a few pennies and lay-off workers at Rotax in Austria who used to make the F700/800 engines...who knows what the reason is for this times delay.
We probably will never know but at least they should call them CMW F750/850GS because the engines are definitely not Bavarian...:mad:

I thought the whole bike was made in China ?

@stever1;only the engine !
But I still have it over the dull and boring A-T !
Just imagine having a flat tire and having to fix the tube on the side of the road...:mad:
Going tubeless alone make the F850 a winner over the Honda...:thumb2
And the new KTM 790's will be completely made in china...:( For that reason alone the new KTM should cost half what BMW or Honda charges...;)
The F750GS looks like a good bike.Tubeless and a quicker steering 19 inch frontwheel looks like a good alternative for someone who can make it without driveshaft or TL and doesn't need 150hp...:D

I was also interested in the 750/850, for similar reasons to Cargollon, but according to specs it weighs in at 229Kgs, which is as heavy as my R1200R and not much less than a full fat GS. Have BMW gone back to using cast iron for the frame?

I think that the KTM and Yamaha rivals will be lighter and the Moto Guzzi V85 looks so pretty.

Looks sweet though..

I await the " doesn't look good " brigade :blast

:D

No it looks okay as a Africa Twin homage, but that is the fugging ugliest exhaust routing and bulls lug minging silencer seen in many a year

It doesn't look anything like as ugly as the 12wc but tubed tyres? Really? I've got tubeless spoked wheels as standard on my '13 S10. A much better option for bikes that will be mostly on tarmac.

The Chinese made parts reminds me of the out of spec rear subframes on the early "assembled in Germany from Chinese tat 12's".

220Kgs? Same weight (ish) as an oil head 12. Too heavy by far for an 800. Getting on for the same weight as 1250 Multistrada.

Wheels are tubeless on the 750/850GS.For that reason alone I would leave the Honda in Africa...:D
As for the weight I would not worry too much as the 850 still will be a little lighter than a A-T and realisticly still 40 lbs lighter than a real GS,1260MS and 1290 KTM.
Lighter materials cost money most people can't or are not willing to afford.
On the road a few pounds make no difference and for real dirt riding all those bikes are too big/heavy anyways...
Those bikes are bought as practical road bikes what used to be sports-tourers and might see occasionally a few miles on unpaved dirt roads to get to the beach or campground to post some pictures in order to impress some other in-adventures fakes and posers on adv-rider...:D
For all the others who actually ride hard on pavement the 750GS looks like the better bike with 19 inch front in 110 instead of narrow 90 and less trail to speed things up...

Back
Top Bottom