Insurance Interval?

SuperTed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First the reason, then the question:

I am due to leave the country, with the bike, mid-July as I am going to be riding the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Patagonia. I will be flying back from Buenos Aires in December but as the bike is being shipped back by sea that will arrive back in Britain in late January.
When I renewed my current UK bike insurance I was advised that it was probably going to be easiest to simply cancel the insurance in July and start again in January.

So, the question: can I put my current insurance on hold and defer the last four months it will have to run in July until the bike comes back in January?

I suspect the answer is No, but I am trying not to have the insurance, tax, and MoT; all of which will need doing before I can ride it home; all coming up together.

Why not simplify the problem and sell the bike add the cost of shipping and buy a bike in the states then either sell the bike in south America or ship it back if you have developed an emotional attachment to a lump of metal.

Mostly because that will complicate the problem.
Shipping is included in the cost of the trip with GlobeBusters.
I know my bike and trust it’s reliability, buying an unknown bike in Alaska would have to be from a dealer and I can’t afford a new bike. Any warranty would be pointless once I am in Mexico heading south.
And then I would have to buy another bike when back home.
So to avoid all that I’ll take mine on the trip.

Why not MOT before you go, good for 12 months. Tax online just before it comes back. The insurance could also be done online just before you return. Is bike insured whilst being shipped?

Last edited:
So, the question: can I put my current insurance on hold and defer the last four months it will have to run in July until the bike comes back in January?

To which the answer is, no.

Either a vehicle is insured or it isn’t. You can’t stop the policy for x number months (or even days, minutes or seconds) and then hope to tack the ‘lost’ period of time on again at the end.

Thanks for the suggestions, Traffic893, particularly the MoT.
I have just retaxed it for 6 months so it will come up again in August, at which point Mrs Ted will SORN it. Makes no difference as it’s out of the country.
It is covered by the shipping company’s insurance while in transit.
I did say I expected the answer to be No, Wapping, but I have always thought that the only really stupid question is the one you don’t ask.

Wondering how long is your no claims bonus valid for after the cessation of a policy?

Wondering how long is your no claims bonus valid for after the cessation of a policy?

My former insurer said 2 years. The went a bit further and said there was no set rule but most offer the same. But not all.

That info is about 10 months old, it may have changed.

It’s not going to be uninsured for long in the UK, just about six months, and it’s going to be easiest to reinsure with my current insurer when getting it sorted in January 2019, so it shouldn’t effect the no claim bonus. But I will confirm that next time I ring them.
The only pain is going to be the MoT, the only thing I can’t do on line, which I’m going to have to sort before I can ride home from wherever it’s ended up.

Re the MOT, as above, put 12 mths on it before you leave OR, book it in for its MOT on the day you collect it and ride straight there

Back
Top Bottom