Rotton wiring....

Decompressing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm re-sleeving / wrapping my wiring loom on my 2002 1150GS. Want to re-sleeve the short looms that run up to the handlebar switches but cannot for the life of me get these f**king female pins out of these multi-plugs!!

Any suggestions (before I do something drastic!!)???

Thanks in advance....

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_4236.jpg
    IMG_4236.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4237.jpg
    IMG_4237.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 378
I just wrapped all wires together with the fabric harness tape all the way from end to end of each bundle (twice). Seems to be holding out OK.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

You need a thin wall tube that goes over the pins and depresses the little latch tongues on the connector. Buy one of those cheap telescopic magnets and dismantle the telescopic part and this will give you a selection of different diameter thin wall tubes.

I made a small tool from a piece of brass tubing. Works for me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 301
...or alternatively, a very, very, very thin thing made of metal pushed into the back of the socket / plug where the wires enter effectively presses each of the two little retaining tangs down, allowing the wire to be pulled backwards out of its little housing. A bit fiddly - but it's simpler than fabricating a very thin hollow tube.

I found a blunt sewing needle did the job and Her Indoors never knew I'd nicked it from her hobby box.
When you remake the connector with new wire, look after those tangs.

...or alternatively, a very, very, very thin thing made of metal pushed into the back of the socket / plug where the wires enter effectively presses each of the two little retaining tangs down, allowing the wire to be pulled backwards out of its little housing. A bit fiddly - but it's simpler than fabricating a very thin hollow tube.

I found a blunt sewing needle did the job and Her Indoors never knew I'd nicked it from her hobby box.
When you remake the connector with new wire, look after those tangs.

I did something similar with a rolled up cutting from an aluminium can.

Back
Top Bottom