Front ABS ring bent

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The ABS light stays on on my GS after putting the wheel back after a new tyre fitted also the cruise control doesn’t work nor any of the riding modes. It’s stuck on Road
BMW put a new switch on last week. I took it back and they say the problem is a bent ABS ring, looking at it it is slightly bent.
I’ve tried to carefully straighten it and the gap looks fairly constant but the problems still remain.
Would an ever slightly bent ring cause this problem? I’m talking of 0.5 mm or so.
I imagine BMW checked the sensor when they had it plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the problem only happened after a new tyre was fitted and beemer are saying it’s a distorted ABS ring, who fitted the tyre?
And it’s possible that even a slight error on sensor could throw out a signal to electronics to make things screwy.

Last edited:
I’ve ordered a new ABS ring. Will the fault continue to show and need to be cleared by BMW?

I’ve ordered a new ABS ring. Will the fault continue to show and need to be cleared by BMW?

if the fault is no longer present then the warning triangle will not display but the fault will still be logged in the memory. BMW or a GS-911 will be needed to clear the fault log.
Alan R

Thanks, then I guess either the sensor is damaged or the gap is still inconsistent.
I assume if the new rotor works then I’ll get the riding modes & cruise control back?

Thanks, then I guess either the sensor is damaged or the gap is still inconsistent.
I assume if the new rotor works then I’ll get the riding modes & cruise control back?

I can’t say definitively that restoration of those functions automatically follows on from the rotor being replaced, but imagine a faulty lamp: when it is replaced, normal service is resumed.
The clearance between the rotor and the sensor is about 1mm. If the rotor was bent more than this then the chances are that the sensor has been clipped and may be damaged. Visually, the sensor tip should look smooth black plastic. You will need to take it off the remove the wheel: have a look at it and be prepared to replace it. Again, I don’t know if bmw need to program the canbus to ‘see’ the new sensor.
Alan R

Hoping it is only the ABS ring slightly bent, if so new ring will fix the problem, but a slightly bent wheel will also give the same problems, fingers crossed new ring fixes it.

I’ve taken the ring off and it’s clearly still bent when placed on a flat surface. Like I say I’ve ordered a new one so I can try to straighten this just for the fun of it.

I’ve taken the ring off and it’s clearly still bent when placed on a flat surface. Like I say I’ve ordered a new one so I can try to straighten this just for the fun of it.

Well that is plenty to through the sensor off, new one should fix it, next time, take the wheel off yourself, not blaming your mate, but at least you will know all is good.

Hoping it is only the ABS ring slightly bent, if so new ring will fix the problem, but a slightly bent wheel will also give the same problems, fingers crossed new ring fixes it.

It would need to be a f*cking great bend in the wheel to affect something attached to the hub.

An update on this. Some judicious tapping with a rubber mallet and the ABS ring is now as flat as it’ll get, back on the GS & the ABS light is out

An update on this. Some judicious tapping with a rubber mallet and the ABS ring is now as flat as it’ll get, back on the GS & the ABS light is out

Result! Thanks for the update - who knows when such info might come in handy.

Thank heavens for forums!

I had exactly the same problem, followed the OP's advice and the problem was solved. It took 15 minutes and cost me nowt. Happy days!

I've got the same problem. Had a new tyre fitted last week (took in the loose wheel) first time out on it today and abs light staying on. Had a look on here, found this thread, checked my abs ring to find it's had a good old knock. Picking a new one up from Coopers next week.

Same thing has happened on mine today. First time I have ever used a ride in/ ride out tyre place. Normally take loose wheels in.

Unfortunately the fitter managed to dink the ABS ring. Was noticed on the post fit test ride, and put his hand up to it and immediately ordered a new one from my local dealer and will cover the cost, well take it off my bill anyway.

Just done a 100+ miles on it and it’s ridable but no ABS or cruise as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Fingers crossed, fitting the new ring tomorrow will resolve the issue.

And lesson learned for next time, take loose wheeels in and whip the ABS ring off beforehand to be sure :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom