1290 RUN WITH PILLION ATTACHED. GSA BEATER?

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, first run with my gorgeous girl on board the KTM today.

We did around 4 1/2hrs hours, Gloucester/Monmouth/Skenfrith/Abergavenny/Hay-on-wye/Leominster/Ledbury/home. Greasy gritty roads in places, but a lovely day for it.

2 hrs then lunch here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.905673,-3.1936728,3a,75y,273.53h,93.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK3Kwn1rLIlEPXsjSsXkynQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Small complaints of numb bum after 4 hrs but all good. The seats aren't GS comfortable for us, but certainly not bad. Would need to break out the Airhawk if out for longer.

She found the exhaust note less wearing than the GS - same helmets/earplugs/Akras.

Slow speed maneuvers were a breeze. The GS isn't bad, but happily the balance I had on the 990SMT has been carried over to the 1290. Like it. Because of this, and it's narrower stance, filtering is a joy even with a pillion. Like that too.

The power for overtakes really does make the GS seem like yesterdays bike now. In every other way the power of the GS is more than sufficient.

Comfort mode for a few rough sections was excellent, but she said the street mode was perfectly fine too. I agree.

Rok straps were really simple to fit and held a roll bag on top of the Pelicase easily. Slid one of the loops onto the open ended rear grab rails and the other to the rear rack plate - simps.

Couple of gripes:

I put the original battery back in before our ride (I'd fitted a light weight Lithium one) to rule out poor heated grip performance being the result of a less powerful battery. Same. The grips are really poor compared to the GS. Will get this checked.

Roads were filthy in places. The protection from stock is very poor. Wife's lower legs quite dirty after less than 200 miles. She did 1500 miles or so in the alps with almost no dirt after each days ride. GS has a Mudsling and Puig hugger fitted - it's a real shame they don't make anything for the 1290 - I mean literally nothing, not that I can find online. If you know of ow't for the rear wheel do tell... Lots of bike cleaning required, nearly all rear end.

Front brakes effective, but you need at least two fingers to pull the bike up sharply.

Need a bar bag or something - the GS has a small storage compartment on top of the tank - good for ear plugs, debit card for fuel bla bla. May buy a small bag to fit the mobile phone holder to do this job.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................

This bike is certainly giving the GSA a run for its money. Is it a better bike, for me? Possibly. They're both great bikes. If I had to do another Euro trip with my better half it would be the GSA, that's for sure. The pannier setup, level of protection and general comfort easily surpass what's on offer from the 1290. Day or weekend rides? I would choose the 1290 - because the day would be more memorable. If I was solo through Europe, I would choose the 1290, make do without panniers somehow and make sure the Airhawk was packed!

I hope this tiny review helps someone if they're wondering about either bike.

Thanks for the review, my GT is still tucked away with nil miles, but two trips to Europe planned for the summer.

If the seats are anything like the 1190 then the Powerparts ones are essential, I thought I might manage without the extra expense, but had to order them after my first ride that lasted over 30 minutes.

I would agree the BMW is a bit better for two-up than most (all?) other adventure bikes, I think it has a slightly longer pillion seat than most bikes so you have a bit more room, especially if a top box is fitted, on my Yamaha I had my top box mount machined to move the top box back a little and it made a huge difference.

The best solution I have found for comfort when touring with the Mrs was to get her on her own bike - perfect!

Chris already has the heated powerpart seats fitted.

Must be due a its first service now?

My co pilot's reviews are:

No: 1 = R1200RT LC with heated seat.
No: 2 = 2010 Varadero.
No: 3 = K1200GT with h\s
No: 3 = LC R1200GS
No: 5 = LC R1200GSA

Last edited:
My co pilot's reviews are:

No: 1 = R1200RT LC with heated seat.
No: 2 = 2010 Varadero.
No: 3 = K1200GT with h\s
No: 3 = LC R1200GS
No: 5 = LC R1200GSA

We know you're telling porkies because you didn't keep the bikes long enough for ya Mrs to sit on them 🤭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris already has the heated powerpart seats fitted.

Must be due a its first service now?

Yes, pretty much. AMS are having work done to their workshops apparently, so can't fit the first service in for two weeks.

First service, then Hilltop. Be interesting to see whether it's 160hp is realistic.

Thats my favourite breakfast stop! 100 miles to go with the GT before 1st service, better check in with AMS when that can be as hoped to go there for breakfast at the weekend and finsh off the run in. GS is looking very sad and dusty.

I don't think AMS do a very good breakfast.....

You need to get out more! :D

As the 1290 is parked up now (until AMS can find time to book me in for the first service) I woke up the GSA yesterday to go see the father in Coventry, scenic route.

Last time I rode the GSA properly was in September, Alps-UK via Black Forest in awful weather. I was very glad to have the protection of the big Beemer I can tell you and still had a memorable ride despite the conditions. In truth the big old girl laughed at the weather, even the apocalyptic rainfall bits. Standard screen did it's job. I only wished for fresh PR4's instead of the Metzeler's but that wasn't the bikes fault.

It's been useful jumping on it after the 1290. Both great bikes. I've clearly been missing the GS without realizing it. In almost every way it's a match for the Kato. The Hilltop mapped GS is easily powerful enough. Both ways, while riding, I thought 'have I missed an overtake opportunity en-route?'...nope. 'Have I missed the extra power of the KTM?'. Of course I have. More power is more power and unless you're in the dirt more power is always a good thing. Did I once 'need' more power....yesterday, no. That's the truth. All the focus of the 1290 is on that engine and in my view it would be a very average bike without it. But it has the engine doesn't it! That makes it a pretty awesome machine.

Back to the 21" front of the GS, I was immediately aware of the slower steering. I reckon this is one reason why you feel more alive on the Kato. Second, not riding the GS for ages and jumping back on it after the KTM has made me realise how soft the bike is. I never thought of the GS being anything other than planted, but pushing on into a couple of corners had me doing a couple of involuntary leg-outs. I haven't once had this issue on the KTM, mainly as you have to ride the ktm so slowly :augie. I've a very strong suspicion that the GS rear shock, and possibly the front too, my be past their best - this issue has been mentioned on here already. So, in a week or two I'm going to test ride the new GSA with its lovely screen....I'll know straight away if it's better or not. The ride was soft, but harsh over bumps. Although the KTM is a firmer ride for sure, it seems to laugh at poor road surfaces. I've braced myself only to shrug my shoulders at the non-event a few times already. The GS gearbox/shifter performed very nicely indeed - I had thought the KTM much better/slicker but not really.

My wish list for the KTM would be:
1. Lose 25mm from the suspension height....keep it on the R, but for 99% of us we don't need the extra travel.
2. Better rear wheel crap protection.
3. A better looking (from the rear) and not so wide pannier setup.
4. Probably some other stuff, because there always will be won't there.

Great bikes, both of them. People can choose their poison these days and that has to be a good thing.

I really ought to lose one of these bikes but that would be a very tough call!

I fitted one of those plates 'with a lip' behind the number plate. I fitted it to see if it would help reduce the incredible amount of shite that gets thrown up onto a pillion's back.

It worked :)

What was unexpected though was that it reduced the amount of shite chucked out the sides, to an extent. Having said that that's never been an issue from my POV.

Andres

I fitted one of those plates 'with a lip' behind the number plate. I fitted it to see if it would help reduce the incredible amount of shite that gets thrown up onto a pillion's back.

It worked :)

What was unexpected though was that it reduced the amount of shite chucked out the sides, to an extent. Having said that that's never been an issue from my POV.

Andres
Any details on that plate with the lip on it Andres?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Any details on that plate with the lip on it Andres?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Wankatalk

I bought it cheap 2nd hand from here just to see if it'd work and don't know what make it was, sorry. I'm guessing it was off a GS but it fitted my 1190R perfectly.

This is a link to a Touratech 'universal' one but lots of people make them, or, they are dead easy to make yourself.

LINK

Andres

As the 1290 is parked up now (until AMS can find time to book me in for the first service) I woke up the GSA yesterday to go see the father in Coventry, scenic route.

Last time I rode the GSA properly was in September, Alps-UK via Black Forest in awful weather. I was very glad to have the protection of the big Beemer I can tell you and still had a memorable ride despite the conditions. In truth the big old girl laughed at the weather, even the apocalyptic rainfall bits. Standard screen did it's job. I only wished for fresh PR4's instead of the Metzeler's but that wasn't the bikes fault.

It's been useful jumping on it after the 1290. Both great bikes. I've clearly been missing the GS without realizing it. In almost every way it's a match for the Kato. The Hilltop mapped GS is easily powerful enough. Both ways, while riding, I thought 'have I missed an overtake opportunity en-route?'...nope. 'Have I missed the extra power of the KTM?'. Of course I have. More power is more power and unless you're in the dirt more power is always a good thing. Did I once 'need' more power....yesterday, no. That's the truth. All the focus of the 1290 is on that engine and in my view it would be a very average bike without it. But it has the engine doesn't it! That makes it a pretty awesome machine.

Back to the 21" front of the GS, I was immediately aware of the slower steering. I reckon this is one reason why you feel more alive on the Kato. Second, not riding the GS for ages and jumping back on it after the KTM has made me realise how soft the bike is. I never thought of the GS being anything other than planted, but pushing on into a couple of corners had me doing a couple of involuntary leg-outs. I haven't once had this issue on the KTM, mainly as you have to ride the ktm so slowly :augie. I've a very strong suspicion that the GS rear shock, and possibly the front too, my be past their best - this issue has been mentioned on here already. So, in a week or two I'm going to test ride the new GSA with its lovely screen....I'll know straight away if it's better or not. The ride was soft, but harsh over bumps. Although the KTM is a firmer ride for sure, it seems to laugh at poor road surfaces. I've braced myself only to shrug my shoulders at the non-event a few times already. The GS gearbox/shifter performed very nicely indeed - I had thought the KTM much better/slicker but not really.

My wish list for the KTM would be:
1. Lose 25mm from the suspension height....keep it on the R, but for 99% of us we don't need the extra travel.
3. A better looking (from the rear) and not so wide pannier setup.
4. Probably some other stuff, because there always will be won't there.

Great bikes, both of them. People can choose their poison these days and that has to be a good thing.

I really ought to lose one of these bikes but that would be a very tough call!

Great report, did you say what GSA you have?

Back
Top Bottom