Nikwax Techwash - Anyone use it?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I really have become a grubby little herbert.

Need to clean several Gore Tex thingies, plus some non biking Hyvent stuff whilst I'm at it.

Anyone used Nikwax Techwash? Anything similar? Seems to be the main thing. Interested to know results, best ways to use and all that if there are any other than RTFM! :thumby:

It's good stuff imho Make sure you clean the washing machine on a hot cycle and clean out the soap drawer first:rob

Cheers peeps, good stuff :thumb

Off to Snow+Rock it is for me to get some..

It works but is nothing other than old fashioned soap flakes dissolved in water. You can buy "liquid soap flakes" from Wilko for less money.
http://www.wilko.com/traditional-cleaning-/wilko-original-liquid-soapflakes-750ml/invt/0412410

0412410_l.jpg

Interesting, thanks for that. I feel a comparison test coming on with Wilko just around the corner too.

I've already done one! :D I used Nikwax stuff for years on my Rukka gear, then read somewhere that it was no different to non-bio liquid soap.....so I started using (enter supermarket of choice here)-branded, cheapo stuff....and it cleaned just as well, with the added advantage of leaving a lovely smell behind too! :) The only Nikwax stuff I stick with is the re-proofing one...TX something or other, I use that every second wash.

Pete

I've already done one! :D I used Nikwax stuff for years on my Rukka gear, then read somewhere that it was no different to non-bio liquid soap.....so I started using (enter supermarket of choice here)-branded, cheapo stuff....and it cleaned just as well, with the added advantage of leaving a lovely smell behind too! :) The only Nikwax stuff I stick with is the re-proofing one...TX something or other, I use that every second wash.

Pete

Cheers Pete. Well there's a time saver (and £££) :) Your Rukka gear will be better than my stuff!

My 2p...

Works great on Paramo walking/cycling clothing (same company) but is less effective on heavier motorcycling clothing.

It works but is nothing other than old fashioned soap flakes dissolved in water. You can buy "liquid soap flakes" from Wilko for less money.
http://www.wilko.com/traditional-cleaning-/wilko-original-liquid-soapflakes-750ml/invt/0412410

0412410_l.jpg

Used soap flakes for years on anything that needed to be water repellent, bike stuff, hillwalking stuff, fleece, Tilly hat,down jacket, soap flakes in a packet now difficult to get so have been using liquidflakes, and its a lot cheaper than Nikwax

Been using Nikwax for years - didn't know about the cheapo soap flakes stuff from Wilko though.

You can also use the Wash-in TX Direct after the Tech Wash/Soap liquid wash, to reproof the garments.

I just looked into this to clean some filthy shooting gear. It’s all about protecting the DWR coating (Durable Water Repellency)***. This can be damaged by detergents so the Techwash stuff is just a detergent free washing liquid. The TX direct wash in stuff either adds DWR or revitalises existing DWR (not sure which but its molecular level stuff apparently). Heat - tumble drying or ironing revitalises the coating by re-aligning those molecules into strands (or summat). If your gear is old and worn however then the DWR stuff has probably long gone and AFAIK no amount of washing or treatment will revitalise it.

*** DWR stops the outer from “wetting out” instead water beads up and runs off. The prevention of wetting out is fundamental to Gore tex etc breathability. A wetted out surface presents a cold thin layer of liquid water that prevents the water vapour you otherwise want to pass through from going anywhere. Instead the water vapour condenses on the cold inner. Net result you think the item is leaking and become disillusioned with the performance of gore tex etc

Edit having said all that I (the wife) use the nikwax products as I (she) find the very good. Big bottles much much better value than small.

Granted i timed it right, but I bought 300ml bottles of Tekwash from Blacks the camping shop on ebay at less than a couple of quid each. Each one will do 3 washes; hardly expensive for the right stuff, and it's not like you wash biking outerwear every week. I'm not sure why anyone would bother taking the risk of exposing their expensive Gore-Tex to cheap substitutes when the recommended stuff is so little extra dosh.

DWR is as stated above all about surface energy, the dwr creates a charge which means that water droplets landing on it are not attracted but repelled and coalesce into bigger drops which then roll off.

Modern detergents contain wetters that do the opposite of DWR to make sure all the fabric is soaked and thus allows the caustic and other surfactants to get stuck into the grease and road dirt like a tadpoles head. The head of the tad pole is water hating eg loves grease , the tail water loving. So when the rinse comes the tails have affinity for the water and tug the greasy heads off and keep em in suspension.

This action of detergents in essence , switches off DWR and blinds it , so your garmet wets out, and you get sweaty.

Tech wash and Graingers products are developed to re vitalise the DWR and more importantly not switch it off. Thats the good point Bisbee stated above , make sure all the old detergent and worst off all fabric conditioner is long gone from the machine.

Products like TX 10 direct apply DWR to the garment again , by it sticking to the fabric. Then follwing spindry the tumble dry activates the surface energy again.

Its only a limited effect as during manufacturing dwr is applied fairly neat and the textiles taken up to appx 170 deg C very quickly.

So back to soapy costco stuff. I would allways prefer the propriety cleaner and re vitalisers. I use appx 50 % of what they suggest , since if you are washing nylon gear it only absorbs about 7% of the water and you end up with a bubbly mess.

Just my 2p

My Rukka kit is, I think, 11 years old now. For the first 5 years or so, I only used Nikwax stuff.....since then, its been cleaned with cheap, non-bio liquid soap, and re-proofed every second wash with TX-Direct. Its just as good as when it was new at keeping me dry, no wetting out, it continues to do the job. :thumb2

Having said that, I've just bought a new Halvarssons laminated jacket, so perhaps my regime will need to change! :nenau

Pete

Back
Top Bottom