New speed limits begin in France in July

BOBAD

Reaction score
Anybody planning to ride through France after July 2018 is advised to be aware of new (lower) speed limits which will be rigorously enforced by radar-equipped unmarked cars crewed by civilians working for a private company.

The French government has announced that, beginning next July, the speed limit will go down from 90 km/h to only 80 km/h on 2 way non-separated roads.

That's more then 400 000 kms of roads... Most of departementales and a lot of nationales roads too.

The official reason is to reduce road deaths but a lot of people think it's to make money.

Enforcement by un-marked cars.

Previously these cars were driven by 2 gendarmes only 4 hours per day because of the lack of manpower, but now they will be driven 12 hours/day by private companies' employees.
And many more cars.

These cars can flash you when you pass them or when you cross them coming from the opposite side.

The radar antenna is hidden behind the front license plate. You can't detect the flash because it's infra red light.

So you don't see anything and don't get pulled over. You just get a bad surprise in the mail 2 weeks later.

There has been an online petition against this decision with more then 2 million signatures but with no effect.

And to add insult to injury, you are supposed to turn off all GPS equipped radar advisory warnings eg like on the garmin and tom tom for fixed and mobile sites. 👎

Give up some beer money for fines but still nul pwa
if they ever reach you.
I have never had anything drop in the post.

Give up some beer money for fines but still nul pwa
if they ever reach you.
I have never had anything drop in the post.

This. Been flashed loads on the continent but never had a fine.

This. Been flashed loads on the continent but never had a fine.

For the moment Nutty problems will be in the future, all Police and gendarmerie are going to be issued with smart phones and pads, and if they see unpaid fines, if you get pulled over, you either pay or your car or bike stays with them, that is if you keep the bike for a long time :blast

For the moment Nutty problems will be in the future, all Police and gendarmerie are going to be issued with smart phones and pads, and if they see unpaid fines, if you get pulled over, you either pay or your car or bike stays with them, that is if you keep the bike for a long time :blast

Nutty will be OK he uses a different bike for every trip:D

I’m guessing the DVLA will be on a nice little cut of the proceeds for selling your private data to them :augie

Arsey and me will be okay as Jersey and Guernsey don’t like to ‘share’ their data in the same way :beerjug:

We all end up giving them our data if we find we need a Crit D'Air sticker.

I wonder, is this new limit/enforcement a permanent thing though? , or just for the French holiday season crash fest period.

Have all speed limits dropped on other roads too

It only applies to roads without a central divider... I suppose it may effect some N roads like the N106 from Ales to Mende :mad:

Some departments are in the process of challenging the law as there is a loophole where departments (or regions?) are not forced to accept some laws made by the government.

Back
Top Bottom