Home with the 1290 R...

Lungauer

Reaction score
Collected the SA R from AMS this bright and mild afternoon, 419 miles on the clock and serviced ready for action. First of all though I have to say the ride there on my 950SM was sublime. What cracking little bikes they are and I am very sorry to see her go after 10 years.

Initial impressions riding back home (Tewkesbury, Eastnor, Ledbury, Hereford, almost-in-Wales): The big beast is not at all daunting. Very balanced. Very quick. Easy to manoeuvre in town. Quickshifter is fun. Hill Hold Control not quite what I was expecting. Psychological problem with assuming I can't chuck it quite so hard into the bends, what with its skinnier less sticky (and newish) tyres, however I suspect it is more capable than I'm giving it credit for. Shakes its head under hard acceleration. Leaves me very much on tippy-toes when stationery which may rule out the heated seats as they edge it further skywards. Looks the dog's proverbials...

All in all quite happy. It's not another big supermoto so I can't expect it to perform like one. It is to fulfil a different function as a touring bike (though I have toured on the SM quite happily) and it will be more comfortable for Mrs Lungauer. It's certainly nice to have a screen again, not to say gear position indicator, tacho, no choke lever and other luxuries.

Akra to follow, plus Bumot panniers. Roll on spring!

Leaves me very much on tippy-toes when stationery which may rule out the heated seats as they edge it further skywards. Looks the dog's proverbials...
.....It is to fulfil a different function as a touring bike

Did you know they do a more road orientated lower S version?

I always considered the R fairly unattractive unless you are planning on some proper off-roading.

The S also has the electronically adjusted and active suspension which I would assume is most (only) advantageous for those riding two-up.

Quite aware, but the height difference isn't much and it's no taller than a GSA - and lighter too. Was a good price and I think looks better than the S. Two up riding not the raison d'être and somehow I prefer the simplicity of manually adjusted suspension. May even go off road - unmade Spanish byways beckon...

Quite aware, but the height difference isn't much and it's no taller than a GSA - and lighter too. Was a good price and I think looks better than the S. Two up riding not the raison d'être and somehow I prefer the simplicity of manually adjusted suspension. May even go off road - unmade Spanish byways beckon...

In one ~ on all of that :)

Also, not sure if the 1290’s are the same but, for some reason, the 1190R’s seem to make the better road bike (handling, poise) compared to the S. Not just me that thought that either, others on here as well as magazine road tests mentioned the same.

Andres

Roll on spring!

Why wait for spring - did nearly 200 miles on mine yesterday to finish off running it in ;)

In one ~ on all of that :)

Also, not sure if the 1290’s are the same but, for some reason, the 1190R’s seem to make the better road bike (handling, poise) compared to the S. Not just me that thought that either, others on here as well as magazine road tests mentioned the same.

Andres

...........which is why Giles swapped his 1190R for a 1290S :augie

Collected the SA R from AMS this bright and mild afternoon, 419 miles on the clock and serviced ready for action. First of all though I have to say the ride there on my 950SM was sublime. What cracking little bikes they are and I am very sorry to see her go after 10 years.

Initial impressions riding back home (Tewkesbury, Eastnor, Ledbury, Hereford, almost-in-Wales): The big beast is not at all daunting. Very balanced. Very quick. Easy to manoeuvre in town. Quickshifter is fun. Hill Hold Control not quite what I was expecting. Psychological problem with assuming I can't chuck it quite so hard into the bends, what with its skinnier less sticky (and newish) tyres, however I suspect it is more capable than I'm giving it credit for. Shakes its head under hard acceleration. Leaves me very much on tippy-toes when stationery which may rule out the heated seats as they edge it further skywards. Looks the dog's proverbials...

All in all quite happy. It's not another big supermoto so I can't expect it to perform like one. It is to fulfil a different function as a touring bike (though I have toured on the SM quite happily) and it will be more comfortable for Mrs Lungauer. It's certainly nice to have a screen again, not to say gear position indicator, tacho, no choke lever and other luxuries.

Nice !

I think the R is a much nicer road bike than the S.

Akra and Bumots ? Sounds familiar !

1bef98ce40146089ee6107ceefedd3ea.jpg

I suppose I should really try an R model before I go ahead with another S purchase, especially as I was not soo keen on the 1290S suspension, although I am also not so keen on a skinny 21" front tyre so probably cannot win, what I want is a manual suspension (or at least non dynamic) S model.

I suppose I should really try an R model before I go ahead with another S purchase, especially as I was not soo keen on the 1290S suspension, although I am also not so keen on a skinny 21" front tyre so probably cannot win, what I want is a manual suspension (or at least non dynamic) S model.

You’ll get used to the 21” !

Been riding a 21/18 setup as preferred touring bike for nearly 15 years constantly. The 1290R is sublime , especially with TA2s fitted as OE tyres

You really should.

With the 1190 at least, the 21" wheel is much is actually not much of a drawback in use, but perhaps a bit in tyre choice. Holds a line better than the 19" though. The suspension is a big improvement, which is what you seem to be interested in.

It's a problem when changing from a top end bike that you like to a slightly more top end bike. The 950 does it all.
Probably this biggest thing is the extra screen \ fairing wind protection.
Good luck with your new bike, BTW what is the head shake all about? do they all do that?

You could always do what i am in the process of doing and swap the wheels for those from an S model, straight fit to the bike, maybe need some ABS rings to sort out the speedo difference.

With a little luck mine will be be done by next weekend ready for a trial run to check out the difference between 21/18 and 19/17,

I am have fairly similar to thoughts to some in this thread in that I did not want electronic suspension and all the while riding on my last tour to Italy a little devil was on my shoulder saying remember the narrow 21 inch front tyre, although i have to say at no point did it give me any cause for concern I have still decided to carry out the swap to 19/17 front and rear tyres.

The swap would have been complete this weekend all bar the tyre fitter nipping the inner sealing ring on the new front rim and putting a hole in the thing.

Akra and Bumots ? Sounds familiar !

Well, Akras are a given (and I had them on the 950), but I'll admit to the Bumots as I must admit I hadn't heard of them until I read your post. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that...

You could always do what i am in the process of doing and swap the wheels for those from an S model, straight fit to the bike...

I'd wondered about that myself, but it seemed plenty grippy to me. In any case it's time I slowed down a bit.

It's a problem when changing from a top end bike that you like to a slightly more top end bike. The 950 does it all.
Probably this biggest thing is the extra screen \ fairing wind protection.
Good luck with your new bike, BTW what is the head shake all about? do they all do that?

950 SM nearly does it all, but it does get wearing hanging on for grim death at higher speeds. Neck muscles like a bull mastiff mind you! Plus I've got another bike for sporting, naked fun.

Head shake must be something to do with all that power given the trail/rake (or whatever the technical term is). The 950 used to do it too when giving it the full beans.

Back
Top Bottom