Don't lose your key

Coding a new key is not hard if you have the spare key, not sure what is needed to cancel old keys out of ECU, but surely it is only a software job ??????

This info is not from me

Hello All,
I searched and think this is moderately new - seen a few posts about replacing the battery or how to start the bike (Keyless Ride) with the emergency/wallet key, but I lost my original and only fob on the road while riding.
Here's how I programmed my replacement fob (from BMW) after I spent $160 for the new fob at the dealer.
1) Place emergency key at the antenna ring under the rear fender, and
2) Turn on the bike ignition at the push button - simultaneously.
3) Place emergency key outside of 2m from the bike (or farther).
4) While bike is on (doesn't need the engine actually running) - hold the new/replacement fob at the ring antenna and push the BMW logo button on the fob. Hold that button down until the lost key signal on the dash turns off. You are now good to go!

I have seen other stories (from RT folks) and was told by my own dealer, that the service charge for this would have been $50 at least.

Big thanks for posting this. I got the new key however it didn't work and the dealer said I would have to get the bike collected and then programmed by them. I still had the emergency key and the above worked saving me yet more time and money :)

I purchased a spare wireless fob for my 2017 TB cost £160. Coded to the bike was free, just follow simple instructions. Took 2 mins.

Was just about to do this.......
But thinking about it. My spare fob was coded to my 15 plate GSA, so this wont work?
Ill need to have it done at the stealers :-(

Was just about to do this.......
But thinking about it. My spare fob was coded to my 15 plate GSA, so this wont work?
Ill need to have it done at the stealers :-(

I suspect the bike is coded to the key, rather than the key being coded to the bike. What the process is doing is getting the ECU to recognise the new key.

But I could be wrong...

I suspect the bike is coded to the key, rather than the key being coded to the bike. What the process is doing is getting the ECU to recognise the new key.

But I could be wrong...

I think the key can be coded to the bike, as long as its a new key with no code. Reading the sequence, it must mean that. Otherwise you'd be able to put any key onto the antenna and code it, which would be silly !
The clue is in "Initial" use of new spare key.

I think the key can be coded to the bike, as long as its a new key with no code. Reading the sequence, it must mean that. Otherwise you'd be able to put any key onto the antenna and code it, which would be silly !
The clue is in "Initial" use of new spare key.

"Initial" is probably included as that's the way things would normally work. As far as I'm aware, it's a strictly one way relationship. The key transmits, the ECU receives. The matching processes trains the ECU to know about the key. But you have to have used an already-recognised key to put the ECU into 'learning' mode That's how it works with transponder keys generally.

Popped into my local Timpsons today and they'll do the basic key for £15, so he's ordering a blank in for me as he didn't have 1 in stock

Popped into my local Timpsons today and they'll do the basic key for £15, so he's ordering a blank in for me as he didn't have 1 in stock

My local Timpsons couldn't get the blank so I got one from Vines for about the same as Timpsons quoted.

Back
Top Bottom