Don't lose your key

steveh

Reaction score
Had my keys stolen from the home last week and just been told if i need to change/recode a new key thats an ECU change and 1500 quid.......wow

Car key were stolen, also BMW....positive bargain at 600 quid and thats for 2

Key insurance suddenly looks to be a worthwhile addition to an insurance policy??

I wonder if this is to prevent the use of the stolen key on the existing ECU? As coding a new key to the ECU isn’t that expensive surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is to prevent the use of the stolen key on the existing ECU? As coding a new key to the ECU isn’t that expensive surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new key coded for my dad's camper van after he lost 1 of the 2 keys that came with the van. The locksmith then deleted the lost key from the ECU so it would no longer work, but obviously it could still have been used to open the van. The important thing being he still had 1 key that then allowed the locksmith to access the ECU. Had he lost both keys then it would have been a new ECU. Can't they gain access to the ECU to programme you a new key with the plastic emergency key that comes with the bike? Seems a bit strange you can use it to start the bike and not be able to use it to get a new key coded

That seems a bit OTT that you need a new ECU. I have lost keys for a BMW and. Volvo cars. Both cost between €100 and €300 to replace (Volvo was the more expensive).
The new key arrived and they just plugged the car into the mothership computers to wipe the codes of the previous keys and put new codes on the existing and new keys.
I lost a key for my 2012 GSA and all they needed was my VIN to order a new key which arrived from Germany in two days.
I would expect maybe €250 to €300 to get a new fancy key and have it coded but a new ECU? That’s taking the proverbial.

Coding a new key is not hard if you have the spare key, not sure what is needed to cancel old keys out of ECU, but surely it is only a software job ??????

This info is not from me

Hello All,
I searched and think this is moderately new - seen a few posts about replacing the battery or how to start the bike (Keyless Ride) with the emergency/wallet key, but I lost my original and only fob on the road while riding.
Here's how I programmed my replacement fob (from BMW) after I spent $160 for the new fob at the dealer.
1) Place emergency key at the antenna ring under the rear fender, and
2) Turn on the bike ignition at the push button - simultaneously.
3) Place emergency key outside of 2m from the bike (or farther).
4) While bike is on (doesn't need the engine actually running) - hold the new/replacement fob at the ring antenna and push the BMW logo button on the fob. Hold that button down until the lost key signal on the dash turns off. You are now good to go!

I have seen other stories (from RT folks) and was told by my own dealer, that the service charge for this would have been $50 at least.

I Have a spare Keyless fob if anyone wants one !

I take its these ones ?

Attachments

• 20180219_173905.jpg
    20180219_173905.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 904
  • 20180219_173916.jpg
    20180219_173916.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 908
I dont know ?
Ill look to see how much they are from the stealers.

You do know that your dealer can order you a BMW OEM dumb metal key for your seat and panniers, etc, using your VIN? Twenty quid, cut in Germany, arrives in a couple of days. Quite a few of us have them.

Cheers for that even easier then, I am in Germany, I thought they had stopped selling them, I will ask tomorrow :beerjug:

Had my keys stolen from the home last week and just been told if i need to change/recode a new key thats an ECU change and 1500 quid.......wow

Car key were stolen, also BMW....positive bargain at 600 quid and thats for 2

Hi

This does not seem right. Had to replace a key for my BMW X5 and it cost £169.00 from a main dealer. I was promised that a second key would be sent to me by the car seller when I purchased the car. After being given the round around I took a small claims summons out against them which immediately brought them to their senses and they paid up. I hate being pissed about. ESP Cars of Nottingham being the car dealers that received my summons.

Derek

Cheers for that even easier then, I am in Germany, I thought they had stopped selling them, I will ask tomorrow :beerjug:

They don't all seem to know it's doable, but it certainly is - mine lives in my jacket pocket for ease of access whilst my keyless fob lives in my textile trousers as I only use that set with the GS and I'm unlikely to go out without those! The parts dept may be better than the sales/service staff if you meet with blank stares.

They don't all seem to know it's doable, but it certainly is - mine lives in my jacket pocket for ease of access whilst my keyless fob lives in my textile trousers as I only use that set with the GS and I'm unlikely to go out without those! The parts dept may be better than the sales/service staff if you meet with blank stares.

Cheers it will be OK salesman was a good lad, and gave me a massive discount and options, will keep you up to speed later. :beerjug:

You do know that your dealer can order you a BMW OEM dumb metal key for your seat and panniers, etc, using your VIN? Twenty quid, cut in Germany, arrives in a couple of days. Quite a few of us have them.

There is also a company which can cut you a new dumb key just from a photo - there was a thread on here about it a few months ago. I used them, very efficient service, and I think it cost me £15.

Back
Top Bottom