Triple ... The bobber with added CT

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some of you may remember Triple, it's a Triumph Bobber that I built from the ground up for my friend Paul. It was the first commercial build to come out of my then fairly newly started business. There is a thread here documenting the build, I think it's worth a read in it's own right ;)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/363681-Triple?highlight=triple+bobber

JPG_17 by tunneruk, on Flickr

During the build Paul was very vocal about how he wanted the bile to look, he had an image in his mind and we worked hard between us to bring it to life. There were a couple of specific items that wouldn't have been my own choice, the most notable of which being the now infamous Handlebars. However, Paul commissioned the bike for him and on that basis I respect each one of his choices, and to a degree I commend his commitment to those Handlebars. The original bike came to me with those bars in a box, they were part of Paul's vision right from day one and he stuck with them throughout, despite some fairly consistent distain. I'm the first to say that it was really cool to ride :cool:

Three years later and Paul's life has changed immeasurably, the long and short of being that I have now bought the bike from him having only covered 128 miles since completion (about 60 of which I did myself!)

I've bought couple of bikes over the last year or so with the intention of doing a custom build to showcase what I do at CT Motorcycle Services but time is never on my side so I've ended up just letting them go again so Triple coming along is the perfect solution for me, it's a bike that I've built from scratch that albeit now three years old is pretty much as I handed it over.

My plan is to make a few changes, some obvious and some less so, just a few of the things that I would have done differently if I'd built it for myself.

Once it's finished I'm going to ride the wheels off it!! :D

First up .... The handlebars ..... ;)

Not even Paul will be surprised at my decision to change the bars. The new flavour being low and wide!

I had several old pairs knocking about which tried, the closest of which went into my pipe bender to get them closer. Once I'd got the kind of look I was after I hit the button on a new pair from Holland.

IMG_7540 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7541 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7542 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7617 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I bought a couple of 12mm momentary buttons which are red back lit for the starter and horn circuits, turned up a couple of bosses and welded them into the bars. I repainted the top yoke, bar mounts and new handlbars just to ensure an even finish. The wiring for the switches runs within the bars and exits down between the bar clamps in a hollow post that I machined up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0aki5T6TFuA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Because the original brakes and clutch lines dropped vertically from the tall bars I have replaced the banjo fittings and added a quick action 90 degree throttle to keep everything tidy. The last thing requited to finish off the controls is a new throttle cable, but this will come later ........ ;)

More to follow ....

Marking this thread :)

yes, I agree original the handlebars are an aquired taste ;)

Schweet :D As one who loved the build but hated the bars, this is just karma :thumb2

Next up ...

Numberplate / rear light.

I didn't enjoy the position or style of the original rear light, it added complications to the proximity of the rear wheel to the mudguard, something which took a while to get right. Aesthetically it worked when the bars were so high but now the bike is going low and wide I think a reposition is in order.

I've used a very classic Wipac rear light, commonly fitted to BSA's among other British bikes of the 50's/60's. I've re-profiled the original numberplate holder to accommodate it. It's also alleviated the need for separate wiring for the rear light and numberplate lights, this in turn enables the rear mudguard to be adjusted for a closer fit ... win win.

F7EB799A-F429-4FD2-B5BE-5543E1DA3606 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7547 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Once I was happy with the shape and fit I took it into the prep room and set about painting it black ..... with a little extra airbrushing ;)

IMG_7648 by tunneruk, on Flickr

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i2W70g_Y9EE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have also painted the body of the light black to match and machined a bespoke retaining bolt so it looks neat from the back. It is now fitted back on the bike but I haven't photographed it ... :blast

Next up .... seat.

I always thought the original seat was too thin, riding the bike after it was finish confirmed this as to do anything more than about 10 miles was unbearable. Seeing as my trimmer owed me a favour I thought I might as well call it in. Kept the original base, kept the original shape just with a change of colour and slight change of stitching design. I wouldn't call it plush but it's much nicer to sit on than before.

ad03be54-c727-43c8-9dae-7a2efa9190a1 by tunneruk, on Flickr

cff2025b-0ee4-4bd9-805e-f04a7a83789e by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7622 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7623 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I'm going to try and put Wreford's post above out of my mind and carry on with this thread ..... :eek: :confused: ;)

Air filter .....

The bike hasn't run right since it went back together, it's fitted with pod filters and a 3-1 exhaust. Despite the best efforts of someone with much more experience than me the bike still runs like a pig!

I've read that the Kehin CV carbs like a volume of air to draw from so I decided to make up a pancake type filter to try and help this out, that and I prefer the look ;)

IMG_7580 2 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7585 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7586 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7637 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7634 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I'm going to try and put Wreford's post above out of my mind and carry on with this thread ..... :eek: :confused: ;)

Air filter .....

The bike hasn't run right since it went back together, it's fitted with pod filters and a 3-1 exhaust. Despite the best efforts of someone with much more experience than me the bike still runs like a pig!

I've read that the Kehin CV carbs like a volume of air to draw from so I decided to make up a pancake type filter to try and help this out, that and I prefer the look ;)

IMG_7580 2 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7585 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7586 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7637 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7634 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Real Job there Chris , top man

Black and silver plate nice touch,

Have you got a yellow & black plate on standby ?

What part of the bike is pre 75 ;)

I've always wondered why Triumph didn't make a modern 'Hurricane'......I know it was a BSA but you know what I mean.....

Go on CT...You can do it.....:thumb2

Attachments

• triumph-x-75-hurricane.jpg
    triumph-x-75-hurricane.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 712
Great story ,ace bike, wouldn’t expect anything different from your stable , superb

I buttoned up the electrics today on the relocated rear light and handlebar wiring. I've also moved the brake light switch to the front calliper in order to keep the bars looking as clean as possible.

In other news ..... I gave the carbs a quick clean and flushed the two year old fuel out of the tank. Slipped on the new exhaust can (Report to follow) and fired her up, it was a bit tricky as I've yet to fit the new throttle cable so have to get a little creative with the idle screw ;)

The upshot being that it now seems to run really nicely now, the new exhaust has a lot more back pressure and combined with the new air filter seems to have done the trick.

A few update pics .....

Rear numberplate / light fitted ...

IMG_7717 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7718 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I won't lie, I was a little nostalgic when I started doing the prep work for the new colours and the orange disappeared under the new primer.

IMG_7716 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7715 by tunneruk, on Flickr

It's now all naked and devoid of colour!

IMG_7719 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7723 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7722 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The new carb rubbers and clamps arrived today ...... much better ;)

IMG_7721 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom