Poor Salesmanship

So, the average reply here seems to involve:

1. Taking a trip to a dealer with the intention of spending a substantial sum.
2. Not being approached by a salesperson.
3. Deciding not to ask a salesperson "Excuse me, can I get some help?" or "Excuse me, I can see you're busy - is there anyone else who can help?"
4. Returning home without the item you went for.
5. Posting proudly on the internet that the dealer lost a sale.

Went to my local Infinity this morning all set to spend nigh on a grand on a jacket, only to be ignored for twenty minutes.

Why don't you spend £12.00 on subscription, for the help and information you receive on this site, moaning tight sod ;)

This is not a typical Infinity Motorcycles experience.
I would email Ben, the manager and let him know about this. He's a good bloke and will make sure you are properly looked after. He won't be happy that you weren't properly attended to.
Worth giving them another chance as they are a good bunch.

I would email Ben, the manager and let him know about this. He's a good bloke and will make sure you are properly looked after. He won't be happy that you weren't properly attended to.
Worth giving them another chance as they are a good bunch.

Once bitten twice shy, you always learn when it costs you money.

Originally Posted by kwallace21

Worth giving them another chance as they are a good bunch

As above :thumb2

They really do have a good team of knowledgeable staff at the Oxford branch and I'm sure Ben would be mortified to hear that you had a bad experience yesterday

To the OP ........ If I were you I would give him a call and have a chat. You have nothing to lose :thumb

From the other side it is ability to read body language. You can normally tell when someone is ready to be approached. Hands behind the back is a sure sign they are lookers and not buyers. It is difficult if you have several customers as you need to drop the lookers and go for the spenders. However the idea because you are likely to spend a gran you are something sopecial sounds really to me that you are a moaner for the sake of it. "Excuse me is there someone that can serve me" might have been a sensible question.

Derek

Is it just me who gets narked by shoddy salesmen? Went to my local Infinity this morning all set to spend nigh on a grand on a jacket, only to be ignored for twenty minutes. One salesman talking to a couple that he obviously knew. They didn't buy anything; he went on a break when they left. Two other salesmen talking to a couple of young lads who also didn't seem to be buying anything.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to be buttered up just a little when spending a lot of money. If one of those salespeople had bothered to say 'I'll be with you on a minute' I would have been a happy chap.

I know this has been said before, but get over yourself.

If you were talking about people being rude, you might have some right to complain...as if you went to them and they then ignored you. You sound like you want them running up to you and kissing your arse because you are going to spend money in the shop. Honestly, if you couldnt even go to them and ask for some help, how do you manage when you need to go shopping?

Some people like to be left alone when browsing, trying and buying stuff. I know I do, I don't need all of the sales drivel.

How simple is it... A good salesman should easily be able to tell if you need help or want to browse undisturbed and should simply say "if you need any help or advice let me know, in the meantime feel free to peruse our wonderful selection of quality items", then leave you in peace until required.

Last time I darkened the doors of my local (distance wise) BMW Motorrad dealer there service was utterly sh*te , main salesperson completely ignored me whilst on the phone with someone discussing the match on Saturday.

He had been the same on previous visits when buying clothing and a used bike , his attitude has subsequently lost that dealership the sale of 3 new bikes in 6 years with a total value of over £43,000.

Personally if you don't like the salespersons atitude vote with your feet go elsewhere but also give their manager a ring to get them a kick up the arse ,nowadays no dealer no matter what size can afford to lose sales

If its the same dealer as I use, I have found them excellent, very chatty and always willing to help.

Sure sometimes I have to open to convo by saying hello etc. Far far better than Honda, Triumph and M&S at newcastle.

Jonnie
Only person that greets me in AJ is the lady in the central reception, even when she had he leg in a cast she was chirpy. I must have the wrong face for buying gear! Despite owning a few bikes.
The young lady you refer to is Fiona a very informed and polite lady who will greet you and ask if you need assistance or if you are just browsing....'ether way' she will more than likely offer you a coffee.....Just like the rest of the staff, polite and professional.

I'm on my 6th bike from them and have had nothing but great service....Despite having too many bikes to remember over the last 50 years....Must have the right face for buying gear :augie;)

If its the same dealer as I use, I have found them excellent, very chatty and always willing to help.

Sure sometimes I have to open to convo by saying hello etc. Far far better than Honda, Triumph and M&S at newcastle.

With the case of the b@ll end I'm talking about even approaching him and asking if he was available failed to raise a response or stop him continuing to chat about the match and going out for a drink.

Their loss and another dealers gain.

So opinions seem to be split between interrupt the salespeople and ask them to do their job,

I'm assuming that, as you're going to spend a grand on a jacket, that you've researched it, read reviews etc.? In which case, I'm not sure what you expect from the Salesperson? Find the size that fits & buy it.

On the other hand if you've gone in there with a grand in your pocket with no idea what to buy & are relying on the salesperson's impartial advice - you're a damn sight more trusting than me!!

D

So opinions seem to be split between interrupt the salespeople and ask them to do their job, or just try the stuff for size then buy online.
My wife has a shop, and I'm keen to support bricks snd mortar businesses wherever possible, so I prefer not to order online. I also prefer to browse uninterrupted, but I do want to be able to speak to a salesperson if I wish to.
I think Tarka offers the best advice.
I would have agreed with you once, but trying to get sensible service in bricks & mortar shops is increasingly difficult. When you do they frequently don't have stock. "We can order it for you, Sir. Pop back in a week and collect it" - or I could order it from Amazon and a man will bring it to my house tomorrow instead of me schlepping out here again on the off-chance of finding an expensive parking space.

I fear the high street is on a downward spiral from which it may well never recover.

With the case of the b@ll end I'm talking about even approaching him and asking if he was available failed to raise a response or stop him continuing to chat about the match and going out for a drink.

Their loss and another dealers gain.

that was my experience at Ian Bells. Not interest in giving my mate test ride, who had cash in his pocket.

Hey,

My new registration on this forum kills two birds with one stone, I'm currently seeking advice on purchasing a GS in the not too distant future, which is a subject I'll tackle later, and the other thing I can do is try and gain a bit of clarity on this.. What with being the manager of Infinity Oxford.

In your original comment you mention Three salesmen.. We've only had Two staff at any one time in over the last 10 days due to our commitments to the Excel show in London.
So my thinking on this is that you've mistaken a customer for a member of staff, which in your defense is easy enough to do as we wear Rukka soft shell jackets and blend in quite well..
Or you've visited Camberley or Farnborough?

If it's the first one, I'd like to extend an apology, we pride ourselves on not only being as knowledgeable as possible in the products that we sell, we also try our utmost to be as attentive as possible to our customers, some of which have found this thread and pointed it out to me as they thought it was odd.

In our defense, you may have noticed our lack of a warehouse door which is currently sealed up as we're refitting the entire warehouse into an ADV/Touring room, meaning myself and Sophie having to go the long way around to pick out any stock for our customers.
Along with being two staff members down. Safe to say, we didn't have any 'breaks' over the weekend...

As a side note, what you're spending vs the level of care you get from us is utterly irrelevant, you get the same level of care buying an Oxford 90 degree valve adapter at £3.99 as you do buying a D-Air suit at £4000.
You'll always get a hello/morning/afternoon as you enter, and 99% of the time get a "If you need any help just ask" while perusing, we're not perfect, and every once in a while someone will slip through without getting 100% of our attention, and for that we hold our hands up.

The bottom line however is that we're here to help, it's what we enjoy doing.. Which in this day an age is a rarity.

Either way, if you want to have a chat about it, please feel free to call me on 01865 343534, or email at oxford@infinitymotorcycles.com, I'm off tomorrow, but back in Wednesday/Thursday.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hey,

My new registration on this forum kills two birds with one stone, I'm currently seeking advice on purchasing a GS in the not too distant future, which is a subject I'll tackle later, and the other thing I can do is try and gain a bit of clarity on this.. What with being the manager of Infinity Oxford.

In your original comment you mention Three salesmen.. We've only had Two staff at any one time in over the last 10 days due to our commitments to the Excel show in London.
So my thinking on this is that you've mistaken a customer for a member of staff, which in your defense is easy enough to do as we wear Rukka soft shell jackets and blend in quite well..
Or you've visited Camberley or Farnborough?

If it's the first one, I'd like to extend an apology, we pride ourselves on not only being as knowledgeable as possible in the products that we sell, we also try our utmost to be as attentive as possible to our customers, some of which have found this thread and pointed it out to me as they thought it was odd.

In our defense, you may have noticed our lack of a warehouse door which is currently sealed up as we're refitting the entire warehouse into an ADV/Touring room, meaning myself and Sophie having to go the long way around to pick out any stock for our customers.
Along with being two staff members down. Safe to say, we didn't have any 'breaks' over the weekend...

As a side note, what you're spending vs the level of care you get from us is utterly irrelevant, you get the same level of care buying an Oxford 90 degree valve adapter at £3.99 as you do buying a D-Air suit at £4000.
You'll always get a hello/morning/afternoon as you enter, and 99% of the time get a "If you need any help just ask" while perusing, we're not perfect, and every once in a while someone will slip through without getting 100% of our attention, and for that we hold our hands up.

The bottom line however is that we're here to help, it's what we enjoy doing.. Which in this day an age is a rarity.

Either way, if you want to have a chat about it, please feel free to call me on 01865 343534, or email at oxford@infinitymotorcycles.com, I'm off tomorrow, but back in Wednesday/Thursday.

Cheers,

Ben.

That's quite some first post, sir. Welcome to hell.

:D

Back
Top Bottom