Heated grips problems

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got an 09 GS (non adv) about a month ago. Had a bit of a run today up to north lincs and neither of my heated grips were working. Stopped for a brew, turned the bike off obviously and back on and they were working fine. Odd. Any ideas on why they might be intermittent ?
P.s they were working prior to yesterday

Might be a computer glitch, the fact that both sides stopped working. Switching the ignition off and on would reset it.
If there is a fault outside of the ecu it will be stored in the ecu (ZFE) , read the fault codes.
I would ignore it until it happened again. :)

Should be normal behavior if the computer detected that it didn't have enough juice.

Or it could also be the beginning of the end and you'll end up like a lot of us having to change the switch, chasing cables, troubleshooting grips, etc...

They're not the most reliable thing on the bike. I'm yet to take apart mine but I keep thinking that the cold front will be over soon and I keep getting my hands frozen like an idiot :p

For sure plug it up and see what's up, fingers crossed it's nothing.

Could either be a fault with one of them or your battery is low and doesn't enough juice to heat them up.

my 2010 r1200gs did exactly the same today,i has not been ridden for a for while,switched it off at the shop,restarted and all was fine again :nenau

It sounds like the Canbus shut them down for overloading the system it just be just as a guess the insulation is failing and leaking current at intervals.

well you mav have a point,one of my grips were a little frayed so i carefully cut the old grips off and used these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...991923&hash=item4d16de88cb:g:K-cAAOSwOA1aOVDZ
as the element was ok,they have been fine up to now,just yesterday they went off,both of them,but i only replaced the throttle side .
as it happens when i plugged in the optimate last night it did say the battery was low .

Well I had it plugged in and it registered the fault but it didn’t remain so I’ll just keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom