Advice on removing a knackered fuel cap....

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Evening everyone!

This is my first foray into this side of the forum....

I’ve bought a 900 hornet with an utterly knackered fuel cap. The bike has been parked for about 4 years, and at some point a screwdriver had been rammed down the fuel cap in a bodged attempt to open it.

The key stood no chance (it wagged around like a wizard’s sleeve) so I attempted to drill it (after draining the tank and removing the fuel pump inside. The barrel gave up, but I’ve realised I’m pissing in the wind with that approach, as even if I do get through the mechanism the two clasps inside the tank are likely to remain in situ.

Removing the bolts loosens the outer ring but the cap remains fixed (two clasps and all that).

The tank needs a respray and is worth saving, so big screwdrivers down the side aren’t an option either. I really don’t want to crease the lip of the tank around the cap, and I don’t want to bend the neck inside either. However, getting shrapnel inside the tank is fine as it’ll be thoroughly cleaned out prior to painting.

I think I have two options:

A. Call a locksmith and see if they know a trick.

B. Take it to a local light engineering firm - I have a replacement cap so the cutting dimensions can be measured and used to shred out the old lock.

Has anyone got any other suggestions? Just to reiterate, the old barrel has been drilled and there is no fuel in it!

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a big casting The two clasps run in line with the key slot I would have a go at removing the rest of barrel as much as possible first and see what that reveals
The inner retaining plate for the locking clasps is spring loaded with the spring hidden by the sealing ring and the outer one is crimped into a groove in the cap I've got a new (fireblade) assembly next to my pc if you want some pics of it just shout:beerjug:

Complete long shot, would a small hand reach to the underside of the cap to pinch in the locking tabs?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Cheers Bisbee,

I’ve utterly removed the barrel itself, and raked out the shrapnel. I can’t see the mechanism by which the barrel turning would have released the clasps though.

What’s making the job slightly worse is the fact that I released the outer ring first, so now the whole lot rotates 90 degrees when I try and turn the bottom of the hole clockwise. This makes it ride up slightly and the ring jams against the recess where it sits in the tank, and I’m loath to apply more pressure in case it damages the tank or the filler neck - it’ll be useless if I get it off but the new one won’t seal....

I can’t put the ring back either - it’ll rotate within a fraction of where it needs to be, the won’t go further.

Should add I’ve got my blackbird one to look at for reference - the casting is huge, I agree! I’m thinking an engineer with sharp cutting tools could make short work if it though..

Complete long shot, would a small hand reach to the underside of the cap to pinch in the locking tabs?

Tried my own arm earlier mate - too fat! I’ll maybe engage my daughter’s services tomorrow......

I'll check one of my 'ondas tomorrow to see if they can be pinched in with the key removed.

Normally the whole cap assembly will lift out if the bolts are removed.

Normally the whole cap assembly will lift out if the bolts are removed.

Not on these mate, the clasps for the lock mechanism grip the underside of the filler neck - they’re still engaged if you don’t turn the barrel with the key, so the cap remains fixed in place.

It’s a bitch!

Ok, the two plungers will not press in by hand and will only retract with the key, it looks like more drilling and bodgery is in order!

A 50mm hole saw might work as the cast metal will be soft :nenau

Thought that mate, but I’d want to drill it centrally and slowly, and my pillar drill isn’t deep enough to centralise the lock.

Also not sure a common or garden hole but would be sharp enough..... good call though, thanks!

That’s why I thought an engineer with a milling machine and 15min spare over lunch could help!

Pictures would help.
The key turning would have moved something which is obvious I know but removing the cylinder should reveal what.

Back
Top Bottom