ticking from the rh side of the engine

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

suppose this has been asked before, so apologies, but I have a ticking sound from the right side of the engine. this sound only happens when the bike warms up to full operating temperature. the bike has been recently serviced and the valves have been done (they were slightly tight, so adjusted to proper tolerance now). Bike is a 1150gs 2000 year and has done 52000km

my research seems to point to one of the following

1. rh Throttle body
2. rocker clearance adjustment
3. push rods??

how can i distinguish between the above so that I can zero in on the fault

the bike is plenty powerful and actually lifts the front in 2nd when you give it some, so performance is spot on (at least I think)

R.

Might just be a worn throttle body. If you hold your finger on the throttle lever arm (at the throttle body) does it stop? Perfectly normal at that milage.

thanks, will check...am away from the bike at the moment

my old bike does that. it can still be tuned, its very sweet at the moment but does chatter a lot.

Hi all,

have tried playing with the throttle body wheel to make sure its not causing the ticking. I am starting to suspect its because of the rocker arm clearance simply because the ticking is louder since i adjusted the valves on the engine....

Please note that the engine is totally silent till the temperature is at 5 lines, then the swiss watches on the right side of my engine start ticking

if it is the rocker arms, does it do any harm to run the engine with the ticking?. the reason I am asking is that one of the valve cover screws needs to be helicoiled and I would like my more experienced friend to do it for me....he is not available at the moment and I would iike to run the bike in the meantime and then do the rocker valve adjustment and the helicoiling together with an oil change at the same time...

R

I once had a customer with a ticking engine on one side. Turned out to be badly pitted cam followers. Posted about it in this section complete with the scary pictures. If I remember correctly the other sides followers were perfect. Of course yours could just be one of the usual harmless knocks, ticks and rattles of a GS engine.

I once had a customer with a ticking engine on one side. Turned out to be badly pitted cam followers. Posted about it in this section complete with the scary pictures. If I remember correctly the other sides followers were perfect. Of course yours could just be one of the usual harmless knocks, ticks and rattles of a GS engine.
I surely hope so :)

I guess it's going to be a diagnosis by elimination ....first the rocker arm clearance then the pushrods......

R.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Stick a screwdriver handle to your ear and press the business end to suspect parts of the engine ala stethoscope. I’ll bet the noise is from a pushrod . The hardened end is moving in the alloy body, causing a ticking to clacking noise. The replacements are a different one piece design.

Stick a screwdriver handle to your ear and press the business end to suspect parts of the engine ala stethoscope. I’ll bet the noise is from a pushrod . The hardened end is moving in the alloy body, causing a ticking to clacking noise. The replacements are a different one piece design.
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Adjusted the rocker arm clearance as per information on here to the minimum clearance and the engine is as quiet as a mouse....all good

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom