High Idle - 2006 R1150 GSA

Burge1150GSA

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2006 R1150 GSA and are having some difficulties with the Idle running high, I have had some advice on it from a BMW dealer service dept but want to do a bit more research:

I bought the bike and it was due 50,000 km service so took it to BMW dealer which had done previous servicing. At the time the idle was running a little bit low at 900-950 when cold and the bike wasn't running great in general with a misfire and all sorts of pops and cracks from the exhaust.

The dealer took off an aftermarket performance enhancer and did a general tune up/balance and increased idle speed.

The bike then performed much better and accelerated properly and the backfires were cured but when the bike got up to full running temp i.e. 5 bars on gauge the idle was running at 1600rpm.

I took the bike straight back and the dealer though there balancing equipment must have failed so reset using vacuum gauges.

Again the bike ran even better then before and the idle sits nicely at about 1100rpm until it warms up to 5 bars and then its up at 1500rpm.

I called the dealer the same day and they said that they had warmed the bike up before setting the idle and that there must be an air leak from possibly a warped inlet manifold.

What do you guys think do I need to handover over even more cash going looking for a malfunctioning part or I it more likely the idle setting procedure not been followed correctly?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Regards Burge.

Spray WD40 around the throttle body rubber inlet tube where it mounts to the cylinder head while the engine is running. If the revs drop then you've a leak or the rubber tube has perished and gone porous.

Check the fast idle lever is also returning to the fully off position.

Back
Top Bottom