Final drive input thrust ring orientation?

notagser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm in the process of reassembling my 1150GS final drive with a new input shaft seal and thrust ring.
The original thrust ring has a taper at both ends, whereas the new ring only has a taper on one end.
Am I right in thinking that the single taper end should go against to the bearing, to allow it to be pushed on after the seal and retaining ring has been installed?

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 151
If a taper was against the bearing originally then it makes sense to assemble with the taper against the bearing.

I'm in the process of reassembling my 1150GS final drive with a new input shaft seal and thrust ring.
The original thrust ring has a taper at both ends, whereas the new ring only has a taper on one end.
Am I right in thinking that the single taper end should go against to the bearing, to allow it to be pushed on after the seal and retaining ring has been installed?

The above is correct if you build the assy that way.
You do however run the risk of pushing the dust lip inside the seal IYSWIM.
I would fit the spacer with the taper facing outwards then screw the castle nut and seal down onto the spacer,with plenty of lube on the seal and spacer.
The seal will then be turning as it pushes onto the spacer,which will reduce the risk of flipping it inside out,or flipping the tension spring off.
Hope this makes sense

The above is correct if you build the assy that way.
You do however run the risk of pushing the dust lip inside the seal IYSWIM.
I would fit the spacer with the taper facing outwards then screw the castle nut and seal down onto the spacer,with plenty of lube on the seal and spacer.
The seal will then be turning as it pushes onto the spacer,which will reduce the risk of flipping it inside out,or flipping the tension spring off.
Hope this makes sense

Yes, that makes sense.
I'll do a trial assembly without loctite first to check all goes together as it should.

Back
Top Bottom