ABS/servo on R1200gs 2006

magik

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all
It is actually well known problem however the symptoms are rather weird. The bike hasn't been used recently and the battery went flat. When I was trying to start it up there was only the starter ghrrr....noise. Nothing unusual so I just charged up the battery and the bike started normally however, since then the rear servo is making a constant noise as soon as I turn the ignition on(it is on when I start the bike too). When I press the front break lever i can hear the front servo but it stops when released(as it should).
I took the bike for a short ride and the front ABS seems to be working normally but there is no ABS at all at the rear(just this constant, irritating servo noise). Can flat battery cause this sort of problems? Any ideas what to do with it?

I do not have access to GS911 so not able to run any diagnostics on it. This is my brother's bike and he lives abroad in the middle of nowhere :blast

Check the battery voltage with a multi meter, should read 14vt if less, the battery is knackered

Check the battery voltage with a multi meter, should read 14vt if less, the battery is knackered

Err. not true. A battery that has been stood a while and not being charged will read, typically, around 12.5 volts which is fine.
It can read higher and lower it all depends on how long it has been off charge and still be fine.

Err. not true. A battery that has been stood a while and not being charged will read, typically, around 12.5 volts which is fine.
It can read higher and lower it all depends on how long it has been off charge and still be fine.

In your opinion ;)

A 2006 bike/battery lost its charge, recharged and now gives an ABS fault, l know where I would start and that’s with out doing a Google ;)

Isn’t there a micro switch near the foot brake maybe that’s “on”

I checked the switch and it seems to be working fine. There is a click and the break light goes on/off as expected.
Also, I didn't mention that the ABS warning light stays on.
The battery voltage is now around 12.5V + and the bike starts fine. Personally I think 14V would be too much or at least I never had this voltage on any of my bikes I've owned:p
It looks we will have to take it to the dealer or just get a GS911 and reset faults if the are any(there must be something).

Whining servo usually means that the plunger is stuck on the on position but of the brake light is working correctly I wonder did he /she adjust the pedal height but not the pedal push rod length ?

Since you are in London why not contact Steptoe at www.gsshop.biz

Whining servo usually means that the plunger is stuck on the on position but of the brake light is working correctly I wonder did he /she adjust the pedal height but not the pedal push rod length ?

Since you are in London why not contact Steptoe at www.gsshop.biz

No adjustment to the pedal was done. I'm based in London but this is my brother's bike and he lives abroad. For sure he needs to get a new battery but I guess the errors need resetting anyway. They won't reset when the new battery is installed, will they?

In fact they are a few posts on the advrider website and in some cases the servo worked fine again after erasing all errors from ECU.

Why fiddle around with something you are not sure about? The battery may just have been discharged by the excessive cold/ constant drain of Ecu's etc etc

So why not charge it up and try again ?? You can charge it in the bike but when you are charging REMOVE the bikes negative /earth leads from the battery and make sure they can't reconnect with the negative terminal or charging crocodile clip until you want them to!

If when you have charged it and it still does the same thing?? then it is likely the battery is knackered

If it starts and runs arrange to see Steppers and let him tell you what is what! An hour of his time for diagnosis will likely turn out much cheaper than fiddling and buying things that you are not sure of!

No adjustment to the pedal was done. I'm based in London but this is my brother's bike and he lives abroad. For sure he needs to get a new battery but I guess the errors need resetting anyway. They won't reset when the new battery is installed, will they?

In fact they are a few posts on the advrider website and in some cases the servo worked fine again after erasing all errors from ECU.

As i understand it, a possible cause of the "brake failure" lamp still displaying and the ABS not functioning after a start up (using a battery that is a bit under voltage)
and move off is that under the starter load the battery voltage has dropped below 11.5v or so and the ABS controller has picked this up as a fault therefore, causing
the failure lamp to light and an under voltage error code to be logged. If the engine is run for a while so charging the battery, then a re-start carried out, it's highly likely
that upon moving off the falure lamp will go out and all will be fine. I have had some experience of this; the ABS continued to operate even with multiple fault codes logged.

Edit: Just seen DrFarkoff's post which mirrors mine really.

Its a 12 year old battery, buy a fcuking new one, then take it to Steptoe, rather than Steptoe saying and you need a new battery :banghead:

That's it now I give up :D

Its a 12 year old battery, buy a fcuking new one, then take it to Steptoe, rather than Steptoe saying and you need a new battery :banghead:

That's it now I give up :D

It may well be but, where does he say it's a 12yo battery?

Don't give up there's mileage left in this thread :D

I agree with the take it to Steptoe thing as, unlike us, he knows what he's doing :D

Psst. what about the less than 14v and it's knackered thing we discussed earlier, did you read and learn something from the tutorial i linked to? :)

Back
Top Bottom