Any Orkney Tossers On Here?

Finally made it over to Orkney last night! :thumb. Had to time it right to reverse onto the Pentalina though! :eek:
Sat on the campsite this morning thinking “ I ain’t getting the little 390 duke out with this weather forecast “ so a quick stroll into town and bagged myself a cute little Skoda Mii. Got it for 2 days. :thumb2 sorted. Been to the Ring of Brodgar and various standing stone sites so far and now sat back in the car after a rapid but successful scurry across the causeway to the Birsay peninsula. :thumb2
Now off to Scara Brae. :D
I love this time of year cos there are no other tourists about! :thumb2

Which town are you in? Stromness has a nicer feel to it and the campsite is fine

Kirkwall. Very busy here. There’s only 2 of us on site! Nice site though. Free WiFi, close to the town centre. Free use of the leisure centre facilities too cos I’m here for 3 nights.
Scara Brae is tiny! Don’t really know why I thought it was bigger? :blast
Yesnaby is a very strange place I must say. Strange rock formation underfoot. Very crumbly. Fossils galore. Old army buildings I’m guessing and a huge pile of the Shell shells? :eek: something has been catching them and feeding on them there.
Gonna try and do the southern parts tomorrow.

Oh, and apart from the Twatt church bench there’s no other signs anywhere! Most disappointing cos I was looking forward to doing a selfie next to one! :D

Going over this Friday for a weekend....staying at The Ferry Inn, Stromness.

Looking forward. We've been before, but my mate/wife haven't so we'll have to do all the sights over the weekend....at least the weather doesn't look to be too vicious crossing from Gills Bay...the Pentland Firth can be fairly interesting in a breeze.

Might not get past Highland Park!:friday

Going over this Friday for a weekend....staying at The Ferry Inn, Stromness.

Looking forward. We've been before, but my mate/wife haven't so we'll have to do all the sights over the weekend....at least the weather doesn't look to be too vicious crossing from Gills Bay...the Pentland Firth can be fairly interesting in a breeze.

Might not get past Highland Park!:friday

They also do tours at the Scapa distillery.

The ferry (pentalina ) was very bouncy for about 20 mins then settled down.
Don’t bother going to see the Broch of Gurness. It doesn’t open till April as I found out. :blast.

I went to the Tomb of the Eagles this morning. It’s quite a trek for a fat tosser with knackered knees! :eek: Like you say though, well wort the effort. :thumb2
I was the only one there too so had the place to myself. Stunning location and the scenic walk back is just as good. I can highly recommend it.
As too the Italian Chapel. :thumb2. Very small but extremely interesting. Brilliant art work.

That's no way to speak about Micky! :D

I shall be visiting again over the w/end.

You just don't listen now d'ya wooden tops ...

i-CX6r6W6-S.jpg

I've spared you the full size version and the 'spot the difference' competition :D

My knees aren't knackered, they're new, the rest of me might be knackered, but the knees are new :p

Enjoy your visit :thumb

:beerjug:

They also do tours at the Scapa distillery.

Not at the moment they don’t! I went past it yesterday and the visitor centre is closed due to building works.

Good crossing over yesterday, but v windy this am, ferries cancelled......awesome views of breakers on west coast.

He he! :D I came back to the mainland Wednesday and I was up on the outside deck enjoying the view but after we went past Stroma it got VERY choppy. I couldn’t stay up there watching my motorhome swaying from side to side without getting very panicky! :eek: I had to go back inside where I couldn’t see it. There were hardly any other vehicles on the ferry at the time too. I did take some pictures but I’m bollocked if I can load them. :confused:

Thanks Mick. Off to the Tomb of the Eagles and Italian Chapel after brek. Nicer day today.

Found the best display of whisky I have ever seen in a bar in the Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall. Literally dozens....gin too...excellent!

Found the best display of whisky I have ever seen in a bar in the Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall. Literally dozens....gin too...excellent!

Yes, they have some of my money behind the bar. Pity they don't have better beer but as Kirkwall bars go, it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom