Any Orkney Tossers On Here?

Thanks Mick. Off to the Tomb of the Eagles and Italian Chapel after brek. Nicer day today.

Found the best display of whisky I have ever seen in a bar in the Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall. Literally dozens....gin too...excellent!

Again, I hope you got to both in the am cos they are both on short morning only opening times just now.

Thanks Mick. Off to the Tomb of the Eagles and Italian Chapel after brek. Nicer day today.

Found the best display of whisky I have ever seen in a bar in the Orkney Hotel in Kirkwall. Literally dozens....gin too...excellent!

I was in the Orkney hotel last month, the barmaid told me they have over a thousand whiskies, i had a look at the menu the dearest £220 a dram

Yup....Tomb of the Eagles, Italian Chapel, Orkney Hotel for lunchtime refreshment, Scara Brae, and Maes Howe in pm. Perfick.

Excellent! :thumb2. If you get chance the Birsay peninsula is ok. If the tide is out you can wander across the very slippery causeway onto the island. Lots of ruins to walk around. The Earls Palace is quite impressive for a ruin.

Excellent! :thumb2. If you get chance the Birsay peninsula is ok. If the tide is out you can wander across the very slippery causeway onto the island. Lots of ruins to walk around. The Earls Palace is quite impressive for a ruin.

Will have a look at that later this year when up next :thumb

Such is my love of Orkney that I try to get there each year. The photograph I showed earlier, of the Ring of Brodgar ...

i-b9Z9MtC-L.jpg

I've had 'printed' on aluminium by SmugMug 3' by 18" for my wall :D

i-8hFLrjS-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Nice! :thumb2
There’s a lot more room on the inside of you van than it looks from the outside! :D

Oh, and they’ve fenced off the Ring of Brodgar stonehenge style to “preserve the path”! :mad:
You can’t walk around the stones now. Weather that’s a temporary thing or not I don’t know. :nenau

Nice! :thumb2
There’s a lot more room on the inside of you van than it looks from the outside! :D

Ha ha :D

Oh, and they’ve fenced off the Ring of Brodgar stonehenge style to “preserve the path”! :mad:
You can’t walk around the stones now. Weather that’s a temporary thing or not I don’t know. :nenau

Yes, the last time I was there it was all very boggy and fenced off. I guess the six coaches in the car park and dozens of people visiting doesn't help ... I guess I was lucky to get that photograph and will probably not get another chance like it :blast

As an aside, when I took that photograph there was a couple in view, I shouted and waved and held the camera up. They knew immediately what I wanted and hid behind one of the stones for five minutes, bless. I thanked them later :thumb

:beerjug:

Gawd knows what it'll be like when two cruise liners arrive at once in Kirkwall!

There was a cruise ship in last year when I was up there ... so many people, didn't even get to see Bear :D

Hence the six coaches up at Brodgar that day, tramping round in the mud and slurry of the fenced off Stones :rob

Bit of a double edged sword this tourism business. I guess the extra bodies off ships result in some extra spending, but the cost of wear and tear on the attractions and infrastructure must be quite high as well. Not sure if there is an answer?

Same applies to other parts of Scotland; NC500, Skye etc. At least the folk off the boats spend....probably more so than the mobile homers.

I suppose that's what comes with being one of the more attractive corners of Europe.

At least the folk off the boats spend....probably more so than the mobile homers.

That's not the impression you got from the TV documentary on cruise ships in the Orkney's - they get shuttle buses into town and because their on all inclusive deals a lot of them use the shuttle buses to go back to the ship for their "free" lunch and drinks then go out again.
Locals reckoned the enslaved crew spent more money - in the local charity shops, for items to take home to their families.

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

I spent plenty when I was up there. :thumb2
I even hired a little car for 2 days to razz round the island. A little Seat Mii. What a giggle.

That's not the impression you got from the TV documentary on cruise ships in the Orkney's - they get shuttle buses into town and because their on all inclusive deals a lot of them use the shuttle buses to go back to the ship for their "free" lunch and drinks then go out again.
Locals reckoned the enslaved crew spent more money - in the local charity shops, for items to take home to their families.

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

Sure you are right....but the wifies in the joolery shop I was dragged into last Saturday seemed to think they would do well......

George...went through your neck of the woods today from Embra to Aberdoom on the steam train....all looking good on the coast!

20190314_150010-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom