Any Orkney Tossers On Here?

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of tourist info really. :bow
Not been up there before so I'm wondering how long to plan to be over there to do all the "normal" attractions. I have about 11 days to waste over the easter holidays.
Which ferry is best out of the two? :nenau
Are there many places to "wild camp" in my motorhome? Etc.......

Any guidance would be great. Ta. :thumb2

Gils Bay ferry is best.

Lots to do on Orkney...even if you don't really like archeology, there is so much old stuff to look at.

The place is fairly 'open', but I'm sure you can find somewhere to tuck your van.

Don't miss Hoy.

11 days? Hmmm. Orkney certainly should be a 'must visit', but 3 or 4 days should do it. To stand in something that was built several thousand years before the pyramids is difficult to take in.

I had a week or so around Orkney and Shetland a few years ago. As has been said lots to see and do on Orkney but not much more than 3-4 days worth. About the same on Shetland, plus if it bothers you you can be as far North in the uk as you can be (ride up to Saxa Vord radar station).

837d06f841b8b40b1c6a9e1943844463.jpg
. That little white dot out at sea is Muckle Flugga lighthouse.

On Orkney I stayed in a decent hostel at Stromness; on Shetland in a “Bod”.

http://www.hamnavoehostel.co.uk

http://www.camping-bods.com. I used the one Nesbister for a truly remote experience.

6801e61e50a426e68eebd348dc91aa73.jpg

Stromness is the nicer town and there is a wee campsite just on the edge of town, worth a night there

And the town has quite a few festivals, beer, folk, whatever, check if one is taking place when you are there.

Outside of town, plenty to see and do but try and get away from the main bits if you can, off to the smaller islands, down the dead end roads to the empty beaches and coves. Just explore, you'll find places.

Disneyland for anyone with even a passing interest in archaeology. As Gerry says, the Maes Howe tour is one of those "hair on the back of the neck" occasions, then there's the Ring of Brodgar and the Tomb of the Eagles. The local archaeological trust does accompanied walks around the ring of Brodgar and other sites nearby and these are not to be missed and worth planning a day around. The Scapa Floe museum on Hoy is very good apparently and on my list also.

Plenty of accommodation around. Camp at Stromness or try Airbnb?

orkney

Been numerous times, saw it at it's best last month.

Attachments

• WP_20180111_14_52_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180111_14_52_58_Pro.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 487
  • WP_20180111_13_03_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180111_13_03_58_Pro.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 495
As said above ... the Gills Bay ferry the best in my book. Run up Orkney over the Churchill Barriers, Italian Chapel ... sooo much to see.

I use the small council campsite at Stromness Point (booking on line easy) ten minutes walk in to Stromness, plenty pubs and hotels, good food and beer :thumb

Archaeology is Orkney's strong point ... The Tomb of Eagles so very interesting.

Just love the place ...

... then of course you have the Highland Park and Scapa Distilleries :D

Gill Bay Cat coming in ...

i-2MR3DMV-L.jpg

You drive over the Churchill Barrier on the left of the photo ...

i-jmqBnmM-L.jpg

Ring of Brodgar ...

i-kstcGk4-L.jpg

Gracie coming out of the Tomb of Eagles ...

i-n6xbh3b-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Excellent! Not sure that trolley is gonna cope with me on it! :D
Thanks.
How steep is the ramp on and off the ferry? My Motorhome is 8.2 metres long with a big overhang. :blast

Excellent! Not sure that trolley is gonna cope with me on it! :D
Thanks.
How steep is the ramp on and off the ferry? My Motorhome is 8.2 metres long with a big overhang. :blast

Depends on the tide ... a lorry with a draw bar trailer got stuck this last September :eek:

i-XkMccvB-L.jpg

If you can get on to Hoy, and the Naval Museum ...

i-DdzX2mJ-L.jpg

Plenty to see (if you're interested)

i-DvgSNWR-L.jpg

i-rCJQzgC-L.jpg

i-WqxPXcR-L.jpg

i-Bx3gw8k-L.jpg

:beerjug:

ramp

I had to reverse my motorhome onto the pentalina, my trailer jockey wheel was very close to the ground so they positioned some wooden ramps under the back wheels of my van and everything was fine, there is a new ferry coming soon, pentland ferries are having a replacement made, can't remember when it will be on the run.

I like a good museum! :thumb2. I like to edumacate miself! :D

Major renovation of Scapa Flow Visitor Centre and Museum, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Orkney Islands Council, Historic Environment Scotland, Highlands and Islands Enterprise and LEADER, will be ongoing throughout 2018.

The main museum is now closed and will remain so until late Spring 2019.

During the 2018 season a small exhibition will be housed in temporary buildings at Lyness, adjacent to the ferry terminal.

With one set of grandparents from Caithness used to visit Orkney a lot when in teens and as folks say it’s an evocative island full of history. gerarddwatts you forgot to mention st Magnus’s skull ( with axe split) oooh us kids couldn’t wait to hear about the sagas from the oldies up there. I wonder what the aunties would make of Max Scratchmann’s book on the orkneys bet they wouldn’t. Also not sure if anyone’s mentioned the Italian Chapel on the Churchill Barriers well worth a look see.

We had a run up there last year, and took the Gills bay ferry as described. We stayed at the SYHA in Kirkwall, got a room each for about £20 per night. Its a bit old fashioned and in need of TLC, but the Warden is a biker and was very helpful to us in planning our daily jaunts. The pubs are pretty expensive, to say the least, but the British Legion was a great place for a Saturday nights entertainment. Cannot remember the name of the old boy behind the bar, but he was worth the entrance money and kept us entertained with his stories of the islands.

Excellent! Thanks everyone. :thumb2
I've now delayed my visit till mid April so all the kids are back at school after Easter and everywhere is a bit quieter!

Very fine place to visit :thumb2 we took the Hymer over last year as part of our Scottish islands summer trip 6 weeks :thumb2 . Loads to see on Orkney , the cathedral in Kirkwall is well worth a visit :thumb2

And of course,

You have to go here.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/...BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=twatt+church&fr=mcafee

If not for the sign at least :D

Was working over there for a while. I found looking down onto Scapa Flow very peaceful and very quiet.
Standing there for a few minutes remembering and reflecting on the poor souls that lost their lives there was very moving.
Well worth a visit for the views only.

Skarra Brae is a must as is Maes Howe but note that they’ve closed the car park off at the visitor centre and now run a minibus in from somewhere local. Same for the Italian Chapel to ease parking. It’s also now paid entry to offset the costs of setting up a manned reception with cctv as some scumbag stole one of the artifacts from the chapel.

Back
Top Bottom