Touring Screen

mickellard

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm thinking of changing the OEM screen to either a Givi or Puig touring screen. Can anyone advise me on either?
I'm 6'2'' and 16 stone and wondering if they will make that much difference?
TIA

Hi Mick

I took my Puig screen off last week and went back to stock. I have tried a few different ones but not the Givi, sorry. I'm 5' 11" , on a good day, and the screen made a great difference, I was impressed. I had the screen support as well. I always had the screen on the lowest setting because I found raising it higher made no difference at all, so obviously that was the sweet spot for me.

So why have I gone back to stock? The only reason was that when touring and going up hill, particularly steep roads, mountain passes etc my forward view became obscured and I could only see the road in the far distance looking over the top. I just found this a bit dangerous, add into it some rain and my forward vision was compromised. As it was light tint I couldn't look through the screen either. So it's about compromise to me. The stock is better for me for vision but not as good as the Puig for comfort at high speeds on the motorway. I think at 6'+ it would be a great choice for you and in my opinion is well made and looks good, get a support bracket though or it'll wobble like a fat birds belly :D

I've just taken the Puig off too. Again it's a good screen and sitting behind it you were completely out of the wind. I'm 6'1" and the standard screen had the air flow straight into my face, the Puig stopped all of that.

The issue though was the fact that it's straighter that stock and it felt too far out in front of me. Gave the feeling of ridding a much bigger bike which I don't like. So fitted a deflector to the standard screen instead. It's not as good as the Givi but it feels less intrusive.

At my height I wasn't looking through it, so you'll be fine too. So as a screen it works really well but to know whether you'll get on with, you need to try it for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got the Givi airflow 330 as the stock one was too low for me and I was getting battered to bits!
The Givi suits me fine and I can still see over it but with no buffeting.
The fitting instructions are shit though.

AFAIK....There's two different OEM screens, one for the GS and a larger one for the GSA. I'am just short of 6' and find the GSA screen ideal for me in the low setting when honing about, and in inclement weather, I raise it slightly BUT I find when raised full it gets in my eye line, which causes a false horizon when in the twisties........Hope that last bit makes sense :rolleyes:

Mmm, it may work but god it's fecking ugly. Doesn't looking at a lump of aluminium put you off?

I can understand your concern but to be honest, when out riding, it doesn’t distract from your vision as you are looking much further ahead anyway.

Puig great screens.

I'm 6'1 and have one (came with the bike) my mate had one installed onto his GSA too and he's about 6'4. It's one of the best modifications we've made to our bikes. It was such a relief to no longer have any buffering /noise in my helmet and the additional weather protection. Just makes the ride so much more enjoyable. The only slight downside is that you will get a little warm in summer, but you could always put the stock screen back on for those...'few days' I have the additional deflector on mine and he doesn't. I will try to find / drop a couple of images.

Hope these help.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_533a.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_533a.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 511
  • fullsizeoutput_518f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_518f.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 541
Thank for the sensible replies lads, went for the Puig in the end with the screen stabiliser brackets...... Just need to test it now! Roll on Germany

Thank for the sensible replies lads, went for the Puig in the end with the screen stabiliser brackets...... Just need to test it now! Roll on Germany

I'll be interested in your thoughts, I'm 6'2", long in the body. I'm picking up my first GS on Friday and this'll probably be my first addon as air off the standard screen hits me in the throat and face.

Hi all. I fitted a Slipscreens touring screen last year for the Euro trip and found it to be slightly better than the OEM screen but still get a fair amount of buffeting. At 6' I can see over all screens fine. Just wondering if anybody has fitted/tried the Z-Technik V-stream touring screen? Think they're an American screen?
Can see them here:
https://www.performanceparts-ltd.co...een-support-brace-z5220-is-recommended-/z2488

They look like a quality bit of kit and I almost bought one for my previous bike before I got the BMW R1200GSA. Otherwise I'll have to have a look at either the Puig or Givi items.

Thanks!!

I'll be interested in your thoughts, I'm 6'2", long in the body. I'm picking up my first GS on Friday and this'll probably be my first addon as air off the standard screen hits me in the throat and face.

Had our first 'proper' ride out on Sunday and the screen is mustard! wound up to a touch over 70mph ;-) and no buffeting or wind noise. Screen wasn't as high as it goes so may put it up a touch when we go to Schratzwald in a couple of weeks.
In my opinion if, like me, youre over 6'2'' its a MUST HAVE addition.

Had our first 'proper' ride out on Sunday and the screen is mustard! wound up to a touch over 70mph ;-) and no buffeting or wind noise. Screen wasn't as high as it goes so may put it up a touch when we go to Schratzwald in a couple of weeks.
In my opinion if, like me, youre over 6'2'' its a MUST HAVE addition.

that's great, thanks for the feedback. It's now next on my list of must haves. Coincidently Mrs OMR and I are off to the Black Forest for the first time in September :)

Back
Top Bottom