ESTA for USA - Do I need a paper copy?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got email confirmation of ESTA approval and printed out the paperwork - do I need to take the paperwork with me when I fly or is it all held digitally and shows when I hand my passport over at border gate?

Always take a copy but never been asked to show it, yesterday included...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need it,all digital when your passport is scanned at point of entry.However if you have it all printed out no harm in taking it with you.

No a copy is not required. I have a page catch of the approval just in case.

I renewed mine ( plus my wife) last week, no confirmation email thought. Had to re-enter the portal and check. Yes both approved.

Enjoy your trip.

Same again (of course by now you hardly need telling(!)) and if I remember correctly it tells you on the application that there is no need to print it out.

I always print it out. :augie :thumb

A nice thing about the system is that they send you a reminder before it runs out, I think it lasts for two years. Enjoy your stay. :)

Regarding my earlier post on 26-02-18:

Same again (of course by now you hardly need telling(!)) and if I remember correctly it tells you on the application that there is no need to print it out.

I always print it out. :augie :thumb

A nice thing about the system is that they send you a reminder before it runs out, I think it lasts for two years. Enjoy your stay. :)
Whoah, hang on a sec ...

Just renewed my ESTA and it says:
  1. That it is valid until 25 Feb 2020, which is only 18 months from the date of issue.
  2. It says that "The DHS recommends that you print this screen for your records".
I'll look into it and get back to you. :confused:

Right, I've got the answer to the first one, the reason is that it's because my passport expires on that date and I shall need a new ESTA from that date, which I expect will last me for a further two years.

And print your ESTA off just the same.

I'm tempted to delete these last two posts but they may be useful to somebody in highlighting the fact that the ESTAs fizzle out at the same time as their passport if that's earlier than two years, and also that the DHS (Dept of Homeland Security) does indeed recommend printing it off.
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom