Buying an ex-Demo

every single bike i have bought from vines inc new and pre registered and ex demo have all come with tax,and thats prob 8 bikes

Is if they are a dealer.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The BMW car dealer wasn’t bothered. I picked it up on 20th December, drove it home, then didn’t use it until 2nd January, so taxed it from the beginning of January.

The BMW car dealer wasn’t bothered. I picked it up on 20th December, drove it home, then didn’t use it until 2nd January, so taxed it from the beginning of January.
Evening nutty, thought you'd been kidnapped.

The dealer would be screwed by dvla and trading standards, assuming you can find one. As the "I didnae know" defence wouldn't work although the "a big boy did it and ran away" could be tried instead.

Not the sellers responsibility to ensure you tax the vehicle.

I think dealers are legally obliged to ensure road tax is paid for vehicles that are for road use hence its easier if they pay prior to collection but as attested not all dealers offer this service.I picked up an Africa Twin from Honda Bolton last Summer and paid pre collection for the 12 month tax whereas the GS I purchased from BMW Manchester the year prior was part of the sales price.

Bought a used Triple Black from NOG in December and told them I wasn't putting the bike on the road for a couple of months so they deducted £85 off the finance which I was happy with. Certainly seems to vary from dealer to dealer as to whether or not your bike is taxed when you take delivery of a used one.

Evening nutty, thought you'd been kidnapped.

The dealer would be screwed by dvla and trading standards, assuming you can find one. As the "I didnae know" defence wouldn't work although the "a big boy did it and ran away" could be tried instead.

They knew I was driving it home, then going straight to the airport on holiday for 10 days, so weren’t worried.

Just checked invoice. It says RFL R.O.C which I assume means responsibility of customer. Steep learning curve for me buying from BMW Motoradd dealer. Not sure I am that impressed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why it is a steep learning curve buying from a BMW Motorrad dealer. Surely the fact that you don't know the changes in the licensing system is your lack of knowledge. The rules say that, and I quote from the DVLA, "buyers must get the vehicle taxed before it can be used". This can all be done on line now in seconds using the green section 10 (New Keepers Details).

Take a bit of responsibility for your own lack of knowledge and don't blame other people. By the way I am quite happy to put the dealer in his place when he gets it wrong and I have no connection to the local dealer other than as a bike buying punter.

Just to clarify this situation before I get anymore criticism. I normally buy new, but in this instance I decided to buy ex-demo from a UK mainland BMW Motoradd dealer. The experience was painless, but there where a few items, including vehicle preparation which I was not entirely happy with. I assumed it would be taxed, but have now learnt that this is not the case. I was not blaming other people- I was mearly asking for advice on this forum before approaching the dealer. The dealer has been great in resolving any issues I have had as you would expect from BMW UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the deal's done n dusted it'll be hard to screw anything else out of him. Pay the tax, throw your leg over & enjoy the ride home. Where you picking bike up from?

Back
Top Bottom