Intermittent Speedometer over 80 mph bouncing needle

moonhead911

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
just been for a ride to wales and i gave it some down a privet road doing about 110 then next min when i slowed down to re join the public road lol the speedo needle started bouncing around from about 80 to 140 then after a few miles it was fine then it came back about 30 miles later iv never had this issue before the bikes done 70.000

any useful advice much appreciated thanks

I would guess that the speedo cable is fraying and needs replacing. Just undo it from its housing on the wheel and try rotating or pulling it by hand to check it's condition.

Used to get this wavering on my old brit bike. As a first trial remove cable at head and put about 10 drops of oil down the cable. If the cable is sticking, it winds up releases winds up, thats what gives you the swaying.
If that doesn’t solve it the Gorila’s advice above would be my next move

I would undo the bottom of the cable and draw the inner out and give it a good clean, then put a thin layer of light oil on it then replace.

Best be quick in checking if the cable is sticking otherwise it'll feck up the speedo drive.

I used to get it maybe once a year for a few years.

Only stayed for a few minutes and then went.
Made a high pitched whine at the same time.
Bike ran perfectly otherwise.

Never found the problem, but suspected the cable or drive at the front wheel which I cleaned and greased.
Sold it since, so do not know if it persisted.

I used to get it maybe once a year for a few years.

Only stayed for a few minutes and then went.
Made a high pitched whine at the same time.
Bike ran perfectly otherwise.

Never found the problem, but suspected the cable or drive at the front wheel which I cleaned and greased.
Sold it since, so do not know if it persisted.

yes i got a funny whine thought it was the fuel pump iv go over it at the weekend

i have removed the cable all seams fine cleaned and re lubed the speedo drive spins smooth when i spin the front wheel so i didnt bother removing the front wheel to inspect the drive unit. its the speedo a sealed unit

I had a similar problem with my original 1150. The speedo is a traditional instrument, with the needle's movement being produced by two magnets spinning close to one another. The fault lies with one or both getting corroded and occasionally touching.

I looked at the cost of getting the clock repaired (which was not an economic proposition), but Swesty managed to save the day by letting me have one from an 1150R which had nearly the same mileage on it (albeit with a chrome bezel - the horror)...

.... the speedo drive spins smooth when i spin the front wheel so i didnt bother removing the front wheel to inspect the drive unit....
It may well do with no resistance..... get the wheel out and strip the speedo drive down and re grease it, it will do no harm. While apart you can check the nylon gears for any wear.

It may well do with no resistance..... get the wheel out and strip the speedo drive down and re grease it, it will do no harm. While apart you can check the nylon gears for any wear.
will do im off next week any way

While you're in there replace the speedo drive with one from an RT of similar vintage; it'll reduce your speedo error to about 1-2mph.

right l been for a ride around th block now getting a funny noise from the cable must be warn inside. Iv stripped cleaned and regressed the speedo drive is in good condition all the teeth are intact. So I'll just buy a new cable

Yes, the lubrication is provided by the inner sheath.

Mine did this for a while before the cable seized solid and broke. I had to replace the speedo drive too with a used one, as it was knackered.

Back
Top Bottom