AGV Carbon Fibre Flip-Front Helmet

Blackal

Reaction score
Saw this recently in a couple of dealers - REALLY impressed with the construction and weight (or lack of!)

https://www.agv.co.uk/sport-modular.html

The gloss-black in particular: https://www.agv.co.uk/sport-modular/sportsmodular-mono-gloss-carbon-black.html

sport-mod-gloss-crb-5-lr.png

I know what a lightweight helmet is like for extended travels - and this Flip-front appears to give the best of both worlds - Lightness and flip-front facility.

Not cheap, at £600 - but a major step forward.:thumb2

Tried to buy one at Infinity Norwich today. Not available yet. Torn between the new AGV and BMW’s System 7, but typically the agv fit is better for me.

Tried to buy one at Infinity Norwich today. Not available yet. Torn between the new AGV and BMW’s System 7, but typically the agv fit is better for me.

Saw them in the Yamaha dealership in Southampton and Two Wheels Honda in Edinburgh.

Been trying to find out what comms fit, anyone asked a dealer?

Tom

Was in a Northwest Yamaha dealer who had them instock when I went 2 days ago . I preferred the black and white colour scheme personally.

The best thing about this helmet is the weight at only 1300g, it does feel light, and I think lots of poeple will like the sporty look when it's shut , it doesn't looks like a flip. The White and black one looks very smart .

My concern would be could you comfortably/legally ride with it flipped up. It doesn't say you can looking at the AGV website and the way it sticks up when open in those photos looks like it could cause wind/noise problems like my first flip , a Caberg which I literally threw away after doing one big trip on it.

I use a Roof Boxer fibreglass flip where the chin guard rotates around the back and ride with it open 75% of the time, it's certified for open use, and I love it. I've only had it 18 months but they've now released a Carbon version too, although the chin guard isn't Carbon it's just the shell. I'd like to upgrade to that but my current lid is too new. The Boxxer Carbon is about 1400g and over £200 cheaper than that AGV but it's a completely different look.

My concern would be could you comfortably/legally ride with it flipped up. It doesn't say you can looking at the AGV website and the way it sticks up when open in those photos looks like it could cause wind/noise problems like my first flip , a Caberg which I literally threw away after doing one big trip on it.

As far as I am aware the only AGV that is legal with the flip front up is the Compact ST.

Video review of the Sport Modular makes no mention of it being a feature.

https://201tube.com/video/H_FW1AwGy2M

I think the whole issue with riding with the chin bar in the raised position is the force it would transmit to your head in the event of a prang - I could easily seeing it breaking your neck.

image.loader.php

The Roof helmet overcomes this by rotating it fully to the rear, but the helmet being open at 90 deg could easily kill you in a low speed impact...

I think the whole issue with riding with the chin bar in the raised position is the force it would transmit to your head in the event of a prang - I could easily seeing it breaking your neck. C

The Roof helmet overcomes this by rotating it fully to the rear, but the helmet being open at 90 deg could easily kill you in a low speed impact...

That's the one Mike , it looks better in the metallic yellow though or the White .

The first Roof Boxer made years ago was the first helmet to ever be officially certified P&J , not sure what that stands for but it means it's safe to use both as a full face and open face lid. That new Carbon one is lighter , has better ventilation , a much easier to use opening/locking mechanism & a better silicone visor seal than my fibreglass one. You can also tailor the fit with some pockets hidden in the liner which take some extra foam pads (come with the lid) & it comes with a small removeable chin draught excluder.

I tried the AGV and it's noticeably lighter than my Roof and definitely sportier but I couldn't spend that much on a lid ( my Arai Chaser and Roof together cost less!!) and I'd want to use it open a lot, which it looks like you couldn't . The Roof is probably more of a 3 season helmet though as its not got Pinlock so I sometimes use the Chaser then.

Tried the AGV yesterday and it is certainly light,even to the point of feeling a tad flimsy! Especially around the drop down tinted visor. Also tried the new Shark evo and, while heavier, it felt better made.

Like most flip-front helmets - the AGV one is not legal or recommended to use with the chin bar/visor unlatched.

But - Flip-front helmets used to be heavy, with weight concentrated forward. BMW addressed this with the Sys 6, but this AGV seems to address the weight AND the weight imbalance.

I see plenty of people riding through towns with their flip-front raised, which is a calculated risk I suppose.

Unless a helmet maker makes a point of telling you that their helmet CAN be ridden with the chin bar swung back - It is safe to assume that it can't.

As with anything - some items be they bikes or helmets.... will cost a bit more than some people can justify.

Tried the AGV yesterday and it is certainly light,even to the point of feeling a tad flimsy! Especially around the drop down tinted visor. Also tried the new Shark evo and, while heavier, it felt better made.

Isn’t the Shark polycarbonate construction, not as durable as glass or carbon fibre.

Tom

I reckon fg and polycarb and carbon fibre will outlast the internal liner / shock absorber. That's the crucial bit of the helmet. Anyway, my comments were purely subjective based on feel and fit. I will leave the tech stuff to the Sharp lab.

Finally got to see and try one today. Lovely quality and looks great. However trying it on confirmed I’m a Shoei/Arai man. Way too tight on the forehead, chin piece actually touches my chin when closed so no room for mic boom. Bugger.

Finally got to see and try one today. Lovely quality and looks great. However trying it on confirmed I’m a Shoei/Arai man. Way too tight on the forehead, chin piece actually touches my chin when closed so no room for mic boom. Bugger.

Yeah but very few people are both Shoei and Arai men !

Back
Top Bottom